Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-31-2010, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i
Lightbulb Surround View system

Hi,

I already got my F10 with the Rear View Camera, Park Distance Control, and now would REALLY LIKE to install/get the Surround View system!! Will I be able to do that or too late???

Thx
Ads by Google
Old 07-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Not possible. I already checked into it.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 07-31-2010, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i
That really sucks....thanks.

I'm used to it with my Infiniti FX50
Old 08-01-2010, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: mb
What about installing a rear view camera, can I do it?
Old 08-01-2010, 07:48 PM

No. Sorry.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
Old 08-01-2010, 08:23 PM
The One who Drives.

Mein Auto: 11 f25 n55/09 Jetta TDI
pharding, you are way mistaken. Such modifications are possible, I have inquired about such mod to my 3-er and was even provided with the price quote and time frame - 2 days of labor, done with all OEM parts by a certified BMW Center in Europe during my ED. So yes, it is possible, although expensive. And no, it is not cheap. And not all BMW dealerships will do it.

Trips and Pieces - My new blog for Travelers by Travelers!
Personal Euro Delivery Blog

My, somewhat outdated, BMW Euro Delivery of 2009 blog with pics!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:07 AM

The 3 er is not the state of the art 5er. We are talking about adding 5 camers and wiring. The Sales Manager at Elmhurst BMW called BMW NA and it is not possible. Now maybe some brave fool with very deep pockets will pop for it on the F10 if it is remotely possible. I do not understand why BMW did not just allow one to pay for pre-wiring of the car and add the cameras later.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i

Last edited by pharding; 08-02-2010 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
I do not understand why BMW did not just allow one to pay for pre-wiring of the car and add the cameras later.
It's probably more expensive to manufacture a car that way. Yes, there is prewiring for common things like alarm and Sat radio. But for the less common like PDC, window shades, electric seats, heated seats, etc., to pre-wire every car would likely end up being too expensive. Or in case of the camera package, for those that really wanted it, they may thought that buyers would delay their purchases post Sep '10 production.

Additionally, aside from the cost and complexity of prewiring, you need to ensure that the prewiring is tested. Meaning, will a car without that option can sustain years of driving without the loose wiring end coming loose and rattling around the wing mirror (in case of side view camera) or worse - creating a short in the system. Then you need to create all the materials for dealer installation, etc.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454

Last edited by chrischeung; 08-02-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 528i, 328i, 328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by beever11 View Post
What about installing a rear view camera, can I do it?
Any number of camera's are possible to install aftermarket. The problem is not installing them, it is integrating them into the navigation screen display. This is usually not possible. It requires an aftermarket screen probably held on with suction cups. Sometimes the mounting points for the actual cameras are available on the car, sometimes holes must be made. Almost any factory electronic option can be duplicated aftermarket, just almost never looking factory installed. If cars used a standard buss system, or a choice of a few systems, then many more things would be possible. Manufacturers allowed certain items such as a cell phone to integrate by following industry standards. Just think if computers, HDTV's, stereos, or plumbing, or the wiring in your house all did their own thing between manufacturers.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:57 AM
The One who Drives.

Mein Auto: 11 f25 n55/09 Jetta TDI
For me two words in the same sentence don't make much sense: BMW and AFTERMARKET. I can only tolerate OEM with it. Your car is most likely prewired for the cameras, as it is a cheaper way to go. Unfortunately, dealerships make most of their income comes from sales commissions/regular interval maintenance than from doing such modifications for an average user. It is a business decision more than technical one...

Trips and Pieces - My new blog for Travelers by Travelers!
Personal Euro Delivery Blog

My, somewhat outdated, BMW Euro Delivery of 2009 blog with pics!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: Zipcars
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
For me two words in the same sentence don't make much sense: BMW and AFTERMARKET. I can only tolerate OEM with it. Your car is most likely prewired for the cameras, as it is a cheaper way to go. Unfortunately, dealerships make most of their income comes from sales commissions/regular interval maintenance than from doing such modifications for an average user. It is a business decision more than technical one...
Actually a lot of these things *aren't* prewired anymore for options. On the X5s, the standard stereo system doesn't have any wiring to the empty tweeter locations. The wiring bundles to the parking sensor system are also not included without the full install.

Highly doubt they prewire, it's a waste since at most 0.001% will try to upgrade post-delivery. BMWs have never been made with easily upgrading in mind.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: mb
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekman View Post
Any number of camera's are possible to install aftermarket. The problem is not installing them, it is integrating them into the navigation screen display. This is usually not possible. It requires an aftermarket screen probably held on with suction cups. Sometimes the mounting points for the actual cameras are available on the car, sometimes holes must be made. Almost any factory electronic option can be duplicated aftermarket, just almost never looking factory installed. If cars used a standard buss system, or a choice of a few systems, then many more things would be possible. Manufacturers allowed certain items such as a cell phone to integrate by following industry standards. Just think if computers, HDTV's, stereos, or plumbing, or the wiring in your house all did their own thing between manufacturers.
I see, so that is bad news that i just do not want to have an extra screen beside my Nav pro screen. i wish i could order the camera package, but here in Thailand the dealer just did not let you select your own option. thanks