Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-05-2010, 09:06 AM
gashlycrumb

Mein Auto: 325i
New 5er Wagon Won't Make it to U.S.

According to Automobile Mag, BMW (and Volvo) are nixing large wagons in the US market. That's a pity. Looks good too.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/6639...ups/index.html

Quote:
Although some automakers are returning to the wagon body style, many others are abandoning the traditional people mover segment. BMW and Volvo -- a brand once virtually synonymous with wagons -- are both walking away from the bodystyle.

Volvo currently sells two wagons here in the U.S. -- the small V50, and the larger V70. That large model is finished after then 2010 model year, and the brand may nix the V50 after 2011.

"We are following the customer," Doug Speck, CEO of Volvo Cars of North America, told Automotive News at the New York auto show. Wagon lovers may object, but he's right -- the body style isn't popular in the United States. Buyers continually opt for crossovers -- like Volvo's XC60 -- when looking for vehicles that are more fuel efficient than large SUVs, but still provide ample interior space.

BMW is yet another automaker abandoning the segment. After years of offering the 5-Series Touring in the United States, the automaker revealed the latest iteration won't make the trip across the pond. Instead, the automaker suggests those interested in a 5-Series wagon-like vehicle look instead at the new 5-Series Gran Turismo, or even its X5 crossover.

Volovo's Speck noted the V50 will be around through "at least" the 2011 model year, because there "is a bit more energy in the small wagon segment." Indeed, BMW will retain its 3-series wagon in the U.S. for the time being, and both Cadillac and Acura are also offering wagon variants of their CTS and TSX models, respectively.

Although both BMW and Volvo have been selling wagons for years, the move away from wagons is more significant for Volvo. The Swedish brand began selling station wagons in the U.S. in 1957, and has had a station wagon on sale ever since.

Source: Automotive News
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2010, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 335 Coupe 6MT/535 Touring
You're right, too bad for N. America. Plenty will sell in Europe, tho.

The debate is why. America's fascination with big and Europe's embrace of the practical/efficient?; our supposed aversion to the wagon 'image' (stigma of the 50s and 60s)-- but then why do minivans still sell)? Or, chicken-and-egg question--if BMW marketed them more --and a wider variety-- would they have sold more? Subaru seem to sell plenty of wagons still, and others are actually entering the segment.

My solution was to buy one of the last available E61 (Welt ED on 4 May 2010, and an 'unpopular' 6-speed to boot). After a few years of no bimmer tourings, people will think that I imported it from Europe :-)

Cheers, ED
Old 04-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
The GM at my local dealership believes they will remain available in the U.S. for custom order.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 04-05-2010, 09:59 PM

Very interesting RUMINT; I'll have to get 'da Man (Irv Robinson at Motor Werks) to check out your GM's info.

Thanks for that, hope he's right. Cheers, ED
Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed914 View Post
Very interesting RUMINT; I'll have to get 'da Man (Irv Robinson at Motor Werks) to check out your GM's info.

Thanks for that, hope he's right. Cheers, ED
I'm an old SIGINT guy.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 04-05-2010, 10:52 PM

tturedraider:

We have more in common than I dare mention here ;-) I suspected you would pick up on my use of 'RUMINT'. Go outside tomorrow, look up and shout something into you cell phone--I'll be watching and listening :-)

Have always liked your Orwell quote. Mercedes truck pic is great too!

Cheers, ED
Old 04-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
The GM at my local dealership believes they will remain available in the U.S. for custom order.
That makes little sense because BMW has to crash test and certify wagons anyway; if they were going to be offered at all, they might as well put some on dealer lots.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535iGT
The amount of vehicles needed for crash testing and to certify them (EPA, CARB, etc.) is not that significant, so the cost is minimal. However, I would say many dealers would not care to have them on the lot (just too small a market for the wagon in the US). Also the big reason IMO that BMW NA does not want to bring the F10 Wagon is than they do not want it to eat into 5 Series-GT (F07) sales, as that is already a niche market, that they are trying to make bigger by fusing a X5, 5 Series, and rear legroom of a 7 Series to make it more appealing in terms of function not looks.

Former BMW's:
2010 BMW X5 xDrive 48i / 2005 BMW X5 30i / 2003 BMW 745Li
2001 BMW X5 30i / 1995 BMW 525i
Old 04-07-2010, 11:10 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2007 530xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_F1 View Post
The amount of vehicles needed for crash testing and to certify them (EPA, CARB, etc.) is not that significant, so the cost is minimal. However, I would say many dealers would not care to have them on the lot (just too small a market for the wagon in the US). Also the big reason IMO that BMW NA does not want to bring the F10 Wagon is than they do not want it to eat into 5 Series-GT (F07) sales, as that is already a niche market, that they are trying to make bigger by fusing a X5, 5 Series, and rear legroom of a 7 Series to make it more appealing in terms of function not looks.
The 5er GT and the 5er Touring are in 2 completely different niches and are like apples and oranges.

2007 530xiT -- Titanium Silver / Black Dakota / Nav / PP / Step / Sirius / HD / CWP / CA /Rear shades / 2 Diono Monterey Booster Seats in Pink :>) / Hüper Optik tint -- Ordered 08/19/06 -- Delivered 10/17/06 -- 59 days order to delivery.

"Money is a strange business. People who haven't got it aim at it strongly. People who have it are full of troubles." -- Ayrton Senna

BMW CCA Member

Last edited by Billd104; 04-07-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i, 2001 325iT
BMW will lose more sales than just the E61 wagon

A 325iT was our first BMW and stayed with the brand since. Once customers who want wagons leave for another brand that supplies them they also have higher chances of staying with that other brand for sedans etc.
BMW has done a horrible job selling wagons in the US and should chnge their approach. But abandoning the market is not it IMHO. They should try a program with priority ordering at the very least and should emphasize purchasing rather than leasing if they are afraid of getting stuck with unwanted wagon CPOs.

BMW seems to have gotten a high on bloated niche barges like the 5GT, X5M, X6M etc. They may make them a bit more money but they also dilute the core of the brand and I feel my son's generation (he is 7) may see BMW like I used to see Cadillac...
Old 04-07-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdg View Post
A 325iT was our first BMW and stayed with the brand since. Once customers who want wagons leave for another brand that supplies them they also have higher chances of staying with that other brand for sedans etc.
BMW has done a horrible job selling wagons in the US and should chnge their approach. But abandoning the market is not it IMHO. They should try a program with priority ordering at the very least and should emphasize purchasing rather than leasing if they are afraid of getting stuck with unwanted wagon CPOs.

BMW seems to have gotten a high on bloated niche barges like the 5GT, X5M, X6M etc. They may make them a bit more money but they also dilute the core of the brand and I feel my son's generation (he is 7) may see BMW like I used to see Cadillac...
Well said!! Here, Here!!
2007 530xiT -- Titanium Silver / Black Dakota / Nav / PP / Step / Sirius / HD / CWP / CA /Rear shades / 2 Diono Monterey Booster Seats in Pink :>) / Hüper Optik tint -- Ordered 08/19/06 -- Delivered 10/17/06 -- 59 days order to delivery.

"Money is a strange business. People who haven't got it aim at it strongly. People who have it are full of troubles." -- Ayrton Senna

BMW CCA Member
Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
The 5er touring made its world debut today at the Leipzig Automobile Show. Facebook folks can probably access some of the pictures taken: http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php...2517697&ref=mf

Otherwise the BMW DE site also has stuff.

So would y'all take the 530d or the 535i?
Old 04-09-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
The 5er touring made its world debut today at the Leipzig Automobile Show. Facebook folks can probably access some of the pictures taken: http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php...2517697&ref=mf

Otherwise the BMW DE site also has stuff.

So would y'all take the 530d or the 535i?
535i

BMW CCA Member
Old 04-09-2010, 08:59 PM

tturedraider and others:

A dependable HUMINT source (rated A-1) at Chicago-area Motor Werks, sez that "No way is the 2011 5-er F11 coming to the USA". Info is from BMWNA. And yes, they would have to crash-test/certify them as they are a new model. Too much trouble, apparently. Bummer on that Bimmer news.

Cheers, ED
Old 04-10-2010, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
Another issue if BMW brought the wagon to the U.S. is they'd have to stock unique wagon parts for service. So between the crash testing and the parts inventory, it does make business sense to not bring it over given the latest sales figures (878 sold in 2009).

However, I think this is a situation of BMW's own making. We've gotten several comments--both friends, as well as strangers in parking lots, saying, "I didn't even know BMW made a wagon." So there are probably some people in the market looking for a wagon that would buy a BMW wagon if they knew it existed.

Also, if gas prices in the U.S. start going up again (say to $4 a gallon), I bet the love affair with SUVs such as the X3 and X6 would quickly end. All of a sudden, customers would notice, "I can buy a wagon with more storage space than my SUV and I'll get much better gas mileage as well as better driving performance." When sales of the X3 and X5 plummet, BMW will wish it had brought over the wagon.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Old 04-24-2010, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 3.5d
My wife loves our 2008 535xi Touring (wagon)...

and we better not tell her there will never be another new one in the US! We did ED and picked it up in Munich in May 2007... what a car, and what an experience. Holds almost as much luggage as the X5 and way more fun to drive.

Now we are on our way tomorrow to pick up a 535i GT and this one will be mine! I will let you know later the highway mileage later on in the trip - I just heard it's rated 19 city, 29 hwy. I love that 6 cyl engine, and this is an update I am told. Our 3 week trip will be about 1700 miles thru southern Germany, Austria, and parts of Italy. Can't wait - and Rolph picks us up!

Cheers,
nekountze
Old 08-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billd104 View Post
The 5er GT and the 5er Touring are in 2 completely different niches and are like apples and oranges.

I don't know about that--maybe nectarines and peaches? I don't see how the niches are entirely different, although I agree that if you really like wagons the 5GT may not get it done for you.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdg View Post

I think it is at least partly the "persona" BMW has built in America. Americans see BMWs as mostly sporty cars and they don't equate that with wagons. They see Mercedes as comfy, luxo cruisers with a high level of panache and so if they're inclined towards a German brand they look to Merc for a wagon.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:59 AM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I think it is at least partly the "persona" BMW has built in America. Americans see BMWs as mostly sporty cars and they don't equate that with wagons. They see Mercedes as comfy, luxo cruisers with a high level of panache and so if they're inclined towards a German brand they look to Merc for a wagon.
I could see that, except that Audi and Volvo, and to some extent Saab have also been poor at selling wagons relative to SUV/SAV like vehicles as well. I think the larger part of it is a US preference for SUVs as family haulers, which has morphed into a preference for "crossover" vehicles which appear to avoid the roll-over problem and the "I'm changing the environment-ask me how" stigma of larger SUVs.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
It would have been nice to have all the choices for wagon - 535i, 550i, 535xi etc for the E60. Most people just buy X5 in the U.S. and wagon is a hard sell. Blame the government regulation that treats SUVs favorably - less stringent fuel economy standard.