Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2010, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: E46 328i
My story - The climate control in my 2000 328i started acting up about 3 weeks ago. As any of you know that it has happened to, it is extremely annoying especially in the middle of summer. A brief google search confirmed that blower motor resistor was indeed the problem. I read some of the DIYs on how to replace it, but I am really bad at these sorts of things, so I didn't think I could handle the repair. It seems that in a 5 series this is a much easier procedure. So I contacted some local places to inquire about replacement cost. An independant BMW mechanic wanted $260 to do the repair, and dealer wanted $400+. So, was about to schedule an appointment when I found this thread. The pictures are so much clearer than the other DIY that I found, and it inspired me to give it a try. Ordered the part from Eeuroparts as OP suggested. Part arrived in 2-3 days. Figured I would get started tonight and see how far I could get. Bottom line - I was able to complete the entire repair in about 45 minutes. THANK YOU OP!!! Again, if I can do it, it can be done by almost anyone. The 2 parts I had a bit of trouble with were 1) Removing the floorboard trim piece - hard to get the final clip off - had to push really hard 2) Getting the FSU out of the socket - it was really hard to get it unclipped, but once I did I was able to wiggle it out - it was much easier to get the new one in.

A few of my own thoughts:
1) My FSU did have 2 screws in it, despite many reports that the factory doesn't put the screws in. Odd, but it wasn't hard to remove them.
2) A magnetized T20 definitely helps
3) I was able to kneel on the ground outside the car looking in to do the replacement - didn't seem too hard to do it that way
4) My best tip - I used an adjustable headlight to see what I was doing rather than a flashlight. It made it really easy to see what I was doing.

Many thanks OP!

Last edited by TDS1; 08-06-2010 at 07:36 PM.