Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 08-09-2010, 01:08 PM
0428's Avatar
0428 0428 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,566
Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
"Other than a certain numerically monickered member cluttering every 35d thread with attempts to convince himself and others that he didn't make a mistake by not buying a 35d -- none"

Funf Dreisig


.......................................
__________________


Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Funf Dreisig Funf Dreisig is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 404
Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
"Other than a certain numerically monickered member cluttering every 35d thread with attempts to convince himself and others that he didn't make a mistake by not buying a 35d -- none"

Funf Dreisig


.......................................
Hmmm... apparently the shoe fit

Funf Dreisig
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-10-2010, 07:48 AM
barbja barbja is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 330
Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post
Just took delivery of my 2011x5D last week.....and noticed a difference (or thought I noticed) a difference in steering (it seemed lighter), especially at highway speeds.....vs the 2010 x5d that I had. The 2011 has Michelins, the 2010 had Bridgestones. I ran 35/41psi in the Bridgestones, and that is what is on the Michelins also.......
When I drove all three 2010 X5 models before placing my 2011 35d order, I considered not buying it because the steering was way too light. I had made a comment about it to my CA and he thought I was bananas; I guess because a lot of people comment that the steering in his current line X5s is heavy. I guess that they don't come out of E53s...

My E53 had steering that was quite similar to the 335 sport loaner that I had been driving at the time. The 2010 X5s made me feel like I was more isolated from the road. When I went back to that loaner after the test drives, I thought to myself: yes, this is like my steering.

My dad had commented only a couple of months before that he thought that my E53 steering was pretty heavy, however he drives a Town Car. By comparison to a Town Car, Everything is heavy.

Before making the decision on the 35d, I had driven many other vehicles in the price and trim range, and they were all even lighter [I could spend much more and get a Porche, but no]. I decided that I'd get over it because I needed to replace the E53 because of the increasing maintenance costs; the E70 was the best alternative.

I loved that E53; If I could have done the surgery to add all the new toys and put a bigger engine in it, I Definitely would have done it. However, being used to a standard xmission, using sport mode, shifting it myself when I needed to, and the will and knowledge to b*tch slap a 25yo in stupid car that thinks they can outdrive a 40+yo woman in a 5k pound SUV, definitely more than got me by. They'll think twice about attempting it again ... at least to a BMW . I think that acting that I don't know that they're there adds to the embarrassment.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-10-2010, 08:42 AM
fixr fixr is offline
Registered User
Location: Coppell, TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: '11 35d, 01 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja View Post
When I drove all three 2010 X5 models before placing my 2011 35d order, I considered not buying it because the steering was way too light. I had made a comment about it to my CA and he thought I was bananas; I guess because a lot of people comment that the steering in his current line X5s is heavy. I guess that they don't come out of E53s...

My E53 had steering that was quite similar to the 335 sport loaner that I had been driving at the time. The 2010 X5s made me feel like I was more isolated from the road. When I went back to that loaner after the test drives, I thought to myself: yes, this is like my steering.

My dad had commented only a couple of months before that he thought that my E53 steering was pretty heavy, however he drives a Town Car. By comparison to a Town Car, Everything is heavy.

Before making the decision on the 35d, I had driven many other vehicles in the price and trim range, and they were all even lighter [I could spend much more and get a Porche, but no]. I decided that I'd get over it because I needed to replace the E53 because of the increasing maintenance costs; the E70 was the best alternative.

I loved that E53; If I could have done the surgery to add all the new toys and put a bigger engine in it, I Definitely would have done it. However, being used to a standard xmission, using sport mode, shifting it myself when I needed to, and the will and knowledge to b*tch slap a 25yo in stupid car that thinks they can outdrive a 40+yo woman in a 5k pound SUV, definitely more than got me by. They'll think twice about attempting it again ... at least to a BMW . I think that acting that I don't know that they're there adds to the embarrassment.
Hi Barbja,

I am picking my 35d up at the end of the week and leaving behind my '06 E53 w/ sport package. I agree that the steering was really great on the E53. Better than on my 2000 5 series. People who complain it's too heavy should be getting a Lexus. My only concern is the steering on the 35d will not be as communicative as the E53. It was really a fun car to drive and steering feel is everything to me. (I replaced the steering rack on my wife's 2001 325ci to a 2003 ZHP rack because it had the dreaded "overboosted rack" from the 2001 model year.) However, I ordered the 20" staggered wheels/tires on the new one, and I hope that helps. I pick up this Friday, so we'll see. I'm still plenty excited! (By the way, I think I read somewhere on Bimmerfest that the 2011's were a different steering set-up from the 2010. Anyone know?)

Cheers, Rob
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-10-2010, 08:53 AM
barbja barbja is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 330
Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixr View Post
I ordered the 20" staggered wheels/tires on the new one, and I hope that helps. I pick up this Friday, so we'll see. I'm still plenty excited!
Rob, let us know if the 20"ers help. I currently have the 19" standard with the 35d sport because I wasn't enamored with the 214s. I'm thinking of moving up to some 20" replicas of ones currently delivered on the X6M. I think they'll look pretty stylin'. Improved handling will be an extra bonus.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM
fixr fixr is offline
Registered User
Location: Coppell, TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: '11 35d, 01 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja View Post
Rob, let us know if the 20"ers help. I currently have the 19" standard with the 35d sport because I wasn't enamored with the 214s. I'm thinking of moving up to some 20" replicas of ones currently delivered on the X6M. I think they'll look pretty stylin'. Improved handling will be an extra bonus.
You bet! I'll give a "steering update" after this weekend. And any other comments, of course!

Rob
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-11-2010, 12:47 AM
335i 335i is offline
Sup3rman
Location: Kansas
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,209
Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGirl74 View Post
One big thing about all X5's is that if feels like it doesn't have power steering. I read reviews about turning at low speeds, and brushed it off. It's noticeable. If the purchaser is a female, I'd highly consider getting the active steering option. Is that only available on the 35i? If so, I would definitely push someone toward the 35i as a female driver with the active steering.

I'd much prefer the heavy steering to the light, almost non-existent feel. For me, it feels more connected to the road driving in inclement weather like snow and heavy rain. Light steering makes me wonder where the car is heading and allows more opportunity for over-correction since there is a lack of feel.
__________________
2011 ///M3 Sedan Alpine White/Bamboo Beige/Piano Black ED 9/16/2011
2011 X5d Alpine White/Cinnamon/Bamboo PCD 6/21/2010




2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-12-2010, 02:11 PM
emcman emcman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oregon
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 178
Mein Auto: 2015 S7
Having had a V8 and now a diesel X5 the only disadvantage I have seen is the 5000 RPM red line on the tach. The numbers are bigger and more spread out though. It goes up hill better than the V8 did and will slightly slower from a start not bad for the trade off of not seeing the 12 MPG anymore.
__________________
2010 Space Gray 35D
2007 Space Gray 4.8 Returned to BMW
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 PM
fixr fixr is offline
Registered User
Location: Coppell, TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: '11 35d, 01 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja View Post
Rob, let us know if the 20"ers help. I currently have the 19" standard with the 35d sport because I wasn't enamored with the 214s. I'm thinking of moving up to some 20" replicas of ones currently delivered on the X6M. I think they'll look pretty stylin'. Improved handling will be an extra bonus.
Hey barbja and everyone. Got the 35d yesterday. My 2006 E53 is now sitting in front looking lonely.... The steering is a little lighter and not quite as direct as the E53, (which had the sport/19" staggered array) but not so much that I'm disappointed. Certainly livable. As I said in another thread earlier today, light, over-boosted steering is NOT what BMW is about. So I'd give it a 6 1/2 or 7 out of 10 if the E53 is a 8 out of 10 and my old 1995 525 was a 9 out of 10. The 525 still had the most telepathic steering of any BMW I've had, and I've had a few.

If I have any small disappointment, it's probably the dashboard and the dashboard lighting at night. The E53 has a beautiful instrument cluster with the gas and temperature separate to the right and left of the speed/tach. On the E70 there's something compressed and busy having just the speed and tach together with a very small area between for the milage, outside temperature, etc. I see the new 5 and 7 Series are going back to a a look much more similar to the E53 and E34 5 Series, etc. (Plus, the volume and other control buttons on the steering wheel are not nearly as well lit, even with the rheostat all the way up.) But the interior is a nice place to be, all in all. Just not quite as nice at night.

Beyond those quibbles, I'm thrilled. I'm just so happy the steering and handling is not a letdown. And I'm looking forward to much better fuel economy.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-16-2010, 06:34 AM
barbja barbja is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 330
Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixr View Post
As I said in another thread earlier today, light, over-boosted steering is NOT what BMW is about. So I'd give it a 6 1/2 or 7 out of 10 if the E53 is a 8 out of 10 and my old 1995 525 was a 9 out of 10. The 525 still had the most telepathic steering of any BMW I've had, and I've had a few.

If I have any small disappointment, it's probably the dashboard and the dashboard lighting at night. The E53 has a beautiful instrument cluster with the gas and temperature separate to the right and left of the speed/tach. On the E70 there's something compressed and busy having just the speed and tach together with a very small area between for the milage, outside temperature, etc. I see the new 5 and 7 Series are going back to a a look much more similar to the E53 and E34 5 Series, etc. (Plus, the volume and other control buttons on the steering wheel are not nearly as well lit, even with the rheostat all the way up.) But the interior is a nice place to be, all in all. Just not quite as nice at night.

Beyond those quibbles, I'm thrilled. I'm just so happy the steering and handling is not a letdown. And I'm looking forward to much better fuel economy.
Hey fixr, I had a 525 too -- cool! I found the steering more responsive on that too, but it had a standard xmission, so the overall feel of that car was different. A hoot to drive.

I agree with what you're saying about the instrument cluster. I liked the "lots of computer information across the bottom" approach better on the E53 compared to the "squish it all in a triangle" approach on the E70. I wonder if they changed it because they had to replace too many of the computer displays in the E53 (mine had to be replaced twice and was already missing a row a pixels when I traded it in). The one thing I do like about the E70s is the visual indication of the cruise speed. [Where the cruise stalk is on the other hand is a nightmare! I have flashed so many other cars instead of reducing my cruise speed its ridiculous!]

For fuel economy? Since you're coming out of a 4.4, I'm sure it should be better all around. Also, if you do mostly highway driving, it should be quite a bit better. But if you've seen my previous posts, I only average about 17 because I usually only drive in <10 mile bursts. I averaged 14-17 in my E53 with the same driving. With the 22gal tank vs 24 in the E53, my range isn't too terribly different in town. I find that very disappointing. However, in a recent trip to San Antonio, I filled up just before I left, and then again just when I got there; I got 25.4 mpg on that ~100 mile stretch. Woo hoo!
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 AM
fixr fixr is offline
Registered User
Location: Coppell, TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: '11 35d, 01 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja View Post
Hey fixr, I had a 525 too -- cool! I found the steering more responsive on that too, but it had a standard xmission, so the overall feel of that car was different. A hoot to drive.

I agree with what you're saying about the instrument cluster. I liked the "lots of computer information across the bottom" approach better on the E53 compared to the "squish it all in a triangle" approach on the E70. I wonder if they changed it because they had to replace too many of the computer displays in the E53 (mine had to be replaced twice and was already missing a row a pixels when I traded it in). The one thing I do like about the E70s is the visual indication of the cruise speed. [Where the cruise stalk is on the other hand is a nightmare! I have flashed so many other cars instead of reducing my cruise speed its ridiculous!]

For fuel economy? Since you're coming out of a 4.4, I'm sure it should be better all around. Also, if you do mostly highway driving, it should be quite a bit better. But if you've seen my previous posts, I only average about 17 because I usually only drive in <10 mile bursts. I averaged 14-17 in my E53 with the same driving. With the 22gal tank vs 24 in the E53, my range isn't too terribly different in town. I find that very disappointing. However, in a recent trip to San Antonio, I filled up just before I left, and then again just when I got there; I got 25.4 mpg on that ~100 mile stretch. Woo hoo!
Hey Barb,

It's interesting about the instrument panels on most of the cars from the mid-2000's. The 3, 5 and 7 all had that same look; much flatter and less diver oriented than prior. I thought them a step back. In addition to the E53, the interior/dashboard layout of our E34/3 Series convertible seems much nicer than the current 3 series. I am thrilled that they are going back to the earlier layout/look and feel on the new models. Whoever was in charge of interior design is most likely gone I'll bet, because that severe look and feel is gone. I'll bet the new X5 in a couple of years will mirror the new look as well. I find the new speedometer to be so busy. Lots of stuff printed on there and you look at it on a continuing basis every time you are driving. Oh, well, lots of other nice things to enjoy instead. Rob
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 AM
Bigtop Bigtop is offline
Registered User
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 64
Mein Auto: X5, E70 4.8i
Super cold morning (-20F) plus high altitude (8000 ft. +) engine will not start, regardless of winter diesel or additives to prevent it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms