Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-09-2010, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: F10
Can anyone access podcasts via IDrive interface and Iphone 3GS (y-cable connection)?

Hi All,

My first post. I have been observing for a while and have found the forum very helpful. Thanks.

I am now, as of last week, the proud owner of a new F10 520d (sophisto gray with oyster/black interior) so I might be able to make some meaningful contributions going forward.

However, first I am looking for some help!. I have connected my iPhone 3Gs (latest firmware) up to the iDrive via the y-cable and am able to access all of my music with no problems. It works very nicely. However, I do not get the option to access podcasts that are stored on my iphone via the iDrive interface. Is this just the way it is?

As such, in order to play a podcast, I have to start it with the iphone disconnected from the car and then connect up the y-cable once it's started. This works but is hardly ideal.

Any suggestions are really welcome.

Best Regards from Ireland.

Ross
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
It is painful!

But you can do this by navigating to Genres and then Podcast. You'll then get a list of the "artists", but it's usually easiest to just select 'All' from this menu.

I'm looking forward to the new interface where you see the iPod (iPhone) menu directly on the iDrive.
BMWCCA #361681

2011 535i Alpine White, ZMP, ZPP, ZP2, ZCV, ZAV, 2TB, 5DL, 610, 6NR. Delivery 2011-07-31
2008 535i Barbera Red, ZPP, ZSP, CA, Vent Seats. ED 2008-02-28, Retired 2011-08-02
2006 530i Monaco Blue, ZPP, CA, Vent Seats. ED 2006-03-03, Retired 2008-04-18
Old 08-10-2010, 04:35 AM

Mein Auto: F10
ianbjor - thanks for the quick reply. I tried that out and it's a much better solution than what I was doing! Appreciate it.

The new interface that you mention (where you see the iPod menu directly on the iDrive) is not going to be something you can upgrade an existing car to is it? They don't provide software updates for idrive do they? I know the September builds are getting a new interface.

Thanks

Ross
Old 08-10-2010, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: Cars
An easy trick is to make a smart playlist in iTunes of your favorite podcasts. This will show up in your playlist menu on your car and you won't have to fumble through many menus to find it.

Paul
Old 08-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by melor View Post
An easy trick is to make a smart playlist in iTunes of your favorite podcasts. This will show up in your playlist menu on your car and you won't have to fumble through many menus to find it.
The problem with making a smart playlist is that it shows only podcast episode titles. If you listen to a lot of podcasts, then you made find that it's not always easy to find the podcast that you want if the podcasts aren't titled well.
BMWCCA #361681

2011 535i Alpine White, ZMP, ZPP, ZP2, ZCV, ZAV, 2TB, 5DL, 610, 6NR. Delivery 2011-07-31
2008 535i Barbera Red, ZPP, ZSP, CA, Vent Seats. ED 2008-02-28, Retired 2011-08-02
2006 530i Monaco Blue, ZPP, CA, Vent Seats. ED 2006-03-03, Retired 2008-04-18
Old 08-10-2010, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbjor View Post
The problem with making a smart playlist is that it shows only podcast episode titles. If you listen to a lot of podcasts, then you made find that it's not always easy to find the podcast that you want if the podcasts aren't titled well.
You are right! I usually listen to a radio show that I download. I have a smart playlist that has those podcasts only and they are in the order I want to listen to them. Easy for that circumstance. Not so easy if you listen to a large number of different podcasts.

Paul