Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-21-2010, 07:36 AM
exthree exthree is offline
Registered User
Location: N.E. Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 78
Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si, 2006 330xi
N52 "quicker" than previous X3 engine?

In the press release on the BMWNA web site it states that the new X3 28i N52 engine will be nearly a half-second quicker (0-60 in 6.7 secs.) than the previous X3 30i engine. The N52 gives 240 HP instead of 260 HP in the previous platform. How is this increased quickness possible, especially with the increased 2011 X3 dimensions, i.e. length, width, etc?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 07-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Sonoman707 Sonoman707 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Healdsburg, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 682
Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Although dimensions grew - I believe the overall weight is down.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2010, 08:52 AM
mrbelk mrbelk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alpharetta, GA
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Send a message via MSN to mrbelk
Mein Auto: 07 335i/6sp
8 speeds in the auto trans now? Better gearing could also be a factor.

-MrB
__________________
(ED 5/11/13) '13 328i M-Sport Estoril Blue II/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 5/25/10) '11 335i M-Sport Le Mans Blue/Oyster, Trip Journal
(ED 5/19/08) '08 X3 3.0si Alpine/Tobacco, Trip Journal
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/18/05) '05 X3 3.0 Blue Water/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2010, 03:20 PM
madurodave's Avatar
madurodave madurodave is offline
BMW Enthusiast!
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,574
Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Probably lack of throttle by wire hesitation!
__________________
Madurodave

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2010, 12:45 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,962
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
I thought there were going to be two engines at launch: the xDrive20d and the xDrive35i, the latter of which will be offered in the North American market. Then again, I haven't read info on the US market, just that of Europe.

The 35i model will hit 0-100km/h in 5,7 seconds, pretty fast to say the least. No idea if the Automatic Stop-Start will make it to the US market.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 07-22-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-24-2010, 06:53 AM
exthree exthree is offline
Registered User
Location: N.E. Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 78
Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si, 2006 330xi
No diesel in the initial 2011 X3 lineup according to BMWNA.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-24-2010, 01:30 PM
MikeTerp MikeTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 210
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328 (E90)
The base X3 engine appears to be the same one going into the new 528 F10.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-28-2010, 07:40 PM
skier's Avatar
skier skier is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,065
Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthree View Post
No diesel in the initial 2011 X3 lineup according to BMWNA.
Yeah, I would like to see a diesel engine in X3. There is the expectation of a diesel hybrid coming soon, hopefully to the US as well. A 23d diesel hybrid would be the perfect combo in my book.
__________________

Travel Photos

Join BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-28-2010, 07:58 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,962
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
Yeah, I would like to see a diesel engine in X3. There is the expectation of a diesel hybrid coming soon, hopefully to the US as well. A 23d diesel hybrid would be the perfect combo in my book.
Americans will probably be unwilling to pay the price premium for an X3 diesel, much less a diesel hybrid which requires extensive R&D.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-28-2010, 08:45 PM
skier's Avatar
skier skier is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,065
Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Americans will probably be unwilling to pay the price premium for an X3 diesel, much less a diesel hybrid which requires extensive R&D.
Judging by the sales ox X5 35d, there is definitely a market and demand for diesel SAV. Premium gas and diesel cost about the same in Phoenix area, and diesels offer 30% better mpg than gas equivalents. Combine that with the eco credit and fed tax incentives, it's why buying a diesel makes economical sense. Not to forget low RPM torque, perfectly suited to 7-8 speed automatic transmissions in heavier cars like the X's.
__________________

Travel Photos

Join BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-29-2010, 06:27 AM
exthree exthree is offline
Registered User
Location: N.E. Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 78
Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si, 2006 330xi
Mwerks Magazine speculated that it might be the 200 HP 320d.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-29-2010, 10:30 AM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,962
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
Judging by the sales ox X5 35d, there is definitely a market and demand for diesel SAV. Premium gas and diesel cost about the same in Phoenix area, and diesels offer 30% better mpg than gas equivalents. Combine that with the eco credit and fed tax incentives, it's why buying a diesel makes economical sense. Not to forget low RPM torque, perfectly suited to 7-8 speed automatic transmissions in heavier cars like the X's.
That's because the X5 xDrive35d is priced substantially below the 4.8i, nearly $7k. I still see many more 6-cylinder petrol versions than the diesel, ignoring earlier models like the 2007-2008. In addition, BMW NA has been subsidising the diesel with its eco-credit. The 335d is hardly a sales success.

The X1 xDrive23d is priced around 2100 below the xDrive28i and unless the 25i version is hideously slow (it isn't), it will be harder to justify a price premium of the diesel over a 25i. Plus, it will be tempting to pony up just a bit more for the 28i. So unless Americans stop thinking of diesels as a compromise, most folks will stick with a petrol because it's just what the market is used to.

Diesel is actually cheaper than premium fuel in NC and VA so there's no reason not to buy one. But most car buyers just aren't informed enough to know, or care.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-29-2010, 03:15 PM
skier's Avatar
skier skier is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,065
Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
That's because the X5 xDrive35d is priced substantially below the 4.8i, nearly $7k. I still see many more 6-cylinder petrol versions than the diesel, ignoring earlier models like the 2007-2008. In addition, BMW NA has been subsidising the diesel with its eco-credit. The 335d is hardly a sales success.

The X1 xDrive23d is priced around 2100 below the xDrive28i and unless the 25i version is hideously slow (it isn't), it will be harder to justify a price premium of the diesel over a 25i. Plus, it will be tempting to pony up just a bit more for the 28i. So unless Americans stop thinking of diesels as a compromise, most folks will stick with a petrol because it's just what the market is used to.

Diesel is actually cheaper than premium fuel in NC and VA so there's no reason not to buy one. But most car buyers just aren't informed enough to know, or care.
Regardless what you see on the street, 335d and X5d has been outselling their gas counterparts. Data: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=diesel+sales . Eco credit and fed tax credit definitely help with increased sales, but with diesel and premium at par, it now makes economic sense to buy diesel. Off course superior torque in diesel doesn't

Regardless, diesels will remain niche market, and those who want the benefits of it will get it.
__________________

Travel Photos

Join BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-29-2010, 04:08 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,962
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Most of the data is convincing enough but the abrupt reduction in X5 3.0si sales could be attributed to the LCI switchover.

No question though, diesel is kind of a niche market. It's nearly impossible to find a VW Golf TDI because VW apparently has a quota on the number of those shipped to the US. It could very well be my next car.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-05-2010, 04:51 AM
morrisond morrisond is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: '06 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthree View Post
In the press release on the BMWNA web site it states that the new X3 28i N52 engine will be nearly a half-second quicker (0-60 in 6.7 secs.) than the previous X3 30i engine. The N52 gives 240 HP instead of 260 HP in the previous platform. How is this increased quickness possible, especially with the increased 2011 X3 dimensions, i.e. length, width, etc?
Easy it has more torque at a lower RPM, 230 vs 225 and tuned for a broader torque spec. Plus the 8 speed Gear box.

0-60 Torque and gearing is what matters. The old X3 might accelerate better from 100+ where you need the extra HP to overcome aerodynamic drag. However if the new X3 is significantly more aero the new one might still win.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-11-2010, 11:46 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,516
Mein Auto: '06 X3
The 335d was a mistake. That engine should have been placed in a 5 series (a la the MB E-Class) where it makes more sense. The 3 series is a "sporty" car where the 5 series is more of a family hauler -- sort of. I think that a diesel hybrid is on the horizon. There is already a gas hybrid in the works and shifting to diesel would not be that hard IMHO. Ford had a very nice concept car a number of years ago with a diesel hybrid (it was a Mercury version of the Freestyle wagon). IRT to diesel VW's they are really popular in diesel-starved CA now with the Jetta version. If they came out with a diesel Tiguan I would buy it! The 2.0Tdi does not require the "blue fluid" the others have to use. Gas prices are rising around here and diesel is lower than mid grade gas again.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-11-2010, 12:27 PM
enamoured enamoured is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alberta, Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,046
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
There is a 535d with same engine as 335d, just not in NA. The 335d is a heck of a car. It just turns the notion of a slow diesel on its head. Too bad they don't come with x-drive on this side of pond otherwise I will have one in my garage by now. So much torque in rwd in winter is lethal.
__________________

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-12-2010, 08:04 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,516
Mein Auto: '06 X3
Didn't mean it was a bad car, just not the right "fit" for the demographics the 3 series is aimed at. I believe the 5 OTOH would have been more successful in the showroom. Having lots of rear wheel torque in Sunny California however is a "good thing"!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms