Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition

BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition
Have an interest in BMW motorcycles or just motorcycles in general? Discuss the line of BMW motorcycles and how they may compare to the rest of the competition in this forum!

Old 08-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Driving around somewhere

Mein Auto: nothing at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
whoa, very nice, the new Multi! congrats...I want to test ride one. How do you like it? Any issues?
Thanks, I love it! I haven't experienced any of the issues that I have read about on some of the Ducati forums. It really is the best of both worlds for me as the bike is supersport quick, and also very comfortable. I couldn't be more pleased.

I ended up going with the ABS version (non S) so I can't really comment on the electronic Ohlin setup. But the base Marzochhi/Sachs setup is wonderful for my needs.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by former230 View Post
Thanks, I love it! I haven't experienced any of the issues that I have read about on some of the Ducati forums. It really is the best of both worlds for me as the bike is supersport quick, and also very comfortable. I couldn't be more pleased.

I ended up going with the ABS version (non S) so I can't really comment on the electronic Ohlin setup. But the base Marzochhi/Sachs setup is wonderful for my needs.
What other bikes did you consider and how did the Multi compare if you test rode the others? No snatchy throttle between 3000 and 4000 rpms?
Old 08-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Driving around somewhere

Mein Auto: nothing at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
What other bikes did you consider and how did the Multi compare if you test rode the others? No snatchy throttle between 3000 and 4000 rpms?
The other bikes I test rode and seriously considered were the BMW K1300S, KTM SM-T, and the Triumph Tiger SE.

The BMW is fantastic and was actually the closest I got to buying another bike. The deal breaker for that bike was the ergo's for me..still comfortable but not as comfortable as the MS. And the dealer for BMW was almost an hour away whereas the ducati dealer is literally about a mile away. If I could convince the wife that I need two bikes, the BMW would be in the garage.

The Tiger was very comfortable but lacked the power I was looking for and the suspension wasn't as good as the Multi's either. Again with the dealer being far away.

The KTM was a very fun bike! If they had released this a year or two earlier I might have already had one in the garage, but thankfully I held out. This bike, while great, doesn't have nearly the tech feautures or touring comforts that I would have preferred on a bike for myself.

I really don't have any snatch in the throttle that I can discern. The throttle-by-wire is certainly more sensitive, and perhaps I am just ignorant of the problem, but I have tried several times to re-create to some extent what I have read about and just don't see a problem. Some of the stories I have read talk about the throttle being so snatchy that people can't turn properly because the bike surges so much. This is absolutely not a problem on my bike.

I have hit a couple of false neautrals in between gears but apparently this is normal as you break in the transmission. Note that this is both my first ever New bike and my first Ducati. All the bikes I have owned in the past have been pre-owned.

I do plan to add the Full Termi system, but not until at least next year. Supposedly that helps the bike breathe better but I would mainly add it for the weight it saves (around 15 pounds IIRC) and the sound of course

Last edited by former230; 08-06-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:19 PM
On the GATE!!!

Mein Auto: 530i
Ride my beemer bike safely

Going to ride my new BMW F800GS safely!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rob25.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	241172  
Old 08-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynz00 View Post
Going to ride my new BMW F800GS safely!
Very nice! Is that the 30th anniversary edition?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by former230 View Post
The other bikes I test rode and seriously considered were the BMW K1300S, KTM SM-T, and the Triumph Tiger SE.

The BMW is fantastic and was actually the closest I got to buying another bike. The deal breaker for that bike was the ergo's for me..still comfortable but not as comfortable as the MS. And the dealer for BMW was almost an hour away whereas the ducati dealer is literally about a mile away. If I could convince the wife that I need two bikes, the BMW would be in the garage.

The Tiger was very comfortable but lacked the power I was looking for and the suspension wasn't as good as the Multi's either. Again with the dealer being far away.

The KTM was a very fun bike! If they had released this a year or two earlier I might have already had one in the garage, but thankfully I held out. This bike, while great, doesn't have nearly the tech feautures or touring comforts that I would have preferred on a bike for myself.

I really don't have any snatch in the throttle that I can discern. The throttle-by-wire is certainly more sensitive, and perhaps I am just ignorant of the problem, but I have tried several times to re-create to some extent what I have read about and just don't see a problem. Some of the stories I have read talk about the throttle being so snatchy that people can't turn properly because the bike surges so much. This is absolutely not a problem on my bike.

I have hit a couple of false neautrals in between gears but apparently this is normal as you break in the transmission. Note that this is both my first ever New bike and my first Ducati. All the bikes I have owned in the past have been pre-owned.

I do plan to add the Full Termi system, but not until at least next year. Supposedly that helps the bike breathe better but I would mainly add it for the weight it saves (around 15 pounds IIRC) and the sound of course
Glad you are liking the bike and thanks for the additional information. I get the occasional false neutral on my f800 and I just chalk it up to a lazy foot. I did notice the gearbox got a lot smoother when I went to synthetic oil at 6000 miles. Wow, Tiger lacked power...the Multi must be really fast! I must test ride one.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 Nissan 4WD Wagon
I bought another BMW bike to keep my one company! I now have a R1150GS and a R100RT! I bought a few tools for the new bike, including a rider's toolkit and booklet. Amazing, 30 years old and they are still available from BMW!