Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Getting HOT... water pump? sending unit?

So, I had a leaking valve cover gasket and got another one and put it on. No problem. now, very strangely, it now warms up and heads to the red. So... I put in a new thermostat figuring that may be the issue, and burped the antifreeze and it still does the same thing. It will just heat up. If I feel the hoses, they are all hot, so, I feel like the thermostat is working. I get heat out of the heater in the car and at times can turn on the heat full blast and can see the needle go down a little bit. The needle will jump every once and a while (it has done that for a long time). Now I took it out as a test after my last burping attempt and it got hot and then I turned on the heat full for a little while and it came down to the middle, I was able to turn the heat off and it looked like all was good. The next day it heated right up and never came down, it just red lined out.. (so I parked it). So... before I take the whole front end apart, to replace the water pump, any thoughts...
I just hate replacing things that are not broken, so, just checking to see if you guys think this is a water pump issue or a sending unit or reflush the antifreeze or a gauge or who knows.... 87 325ic with 99K.
Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

I have looked at a few other posts and have another comment. I can like squeeze the hoses, should I be able to do that? Or should the be hard?... with engine off, I can squeeze any of the three hoses and have it push fluid back into the reservoir. (is that what it should be like?)

Last edited by gwmlb; 08-17-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Powered by BMW

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy Send a message via Yahoo to crazyguy
Mein Auto: M3,528i,ELEMENT
did u bleed the system? and hows your fan clutch ?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Rather Large Member

Mein Auto: 88 325is 04&09 jetta TDi
Sounds to me like air in the system, or maybe a bad fan clutch. Does the temperature go up when you're driving, or only at stop lights/signs?

The upper radiator hose is the highest point in your cooling system, so any air would sit right there......and get hot......

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson
Old age and treachery, will always overcome youth and skill.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
First the fan clutch, I mean the fan goes around, I guess I don't know how to check that. Is that what I'm checking for.... blowing air into the radiator? To answer the other question, it gets hot no matter what, so, just sitting will get hot, driving will get hot.
So, if I read the responses, my best FIRST action should be to drain the system and redo the antifreeze, ... do I expect the hoses to be hard(which to me would be just totally full)??

Thanks for quick comments
Old 08-18-2010, 07:25 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
when the car is running you should have pressure in the hoses. not to where they are rock solid, but they give a lil. to test the fan clutch, when the engine is warm, shut engine off, pop the hood and spin the fan with your hands. there should be enough resistance to where you need to apply decent force to move it.

another quick cheap thing is the pressure cap. they go bad all the time and tend to get overlooked