Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 05-28-2010, 01:29 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Does this engine sound normal?

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the e46 m3 and I was wondering if this engine sounds normal to you guys, I've also put a glass of water to make the vibrations visible. Compression test showed variations of about 7 psi max between cylinders. Let me know what you guys think?
This is a 2002 M3 with 52K miles (about 80K KMS), recalls all complete, inspection I and II done, regular oil changes, 94 Gas.

Cheers

Last edited by marchwolfm3; 05-28-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2010, 10:06 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Rascasse
Mein Auto: M3, Ferrari 348
If the car is down on power, you probably have one or more bad coils.

M3
AM V8 Vantage
348 SS Challenge
SL55 AMG
Ducati 916
March/Cosworth Indycar

www.VelocePerformance.com
Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Vert
Just curious...did you do the compression testing? Were they dry and cold?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 Convertible
Hey Marchwolf.

My 2004 Cabrio sounds exactly like that modulo maybe one valve follower that is a little noisier. I have made an academic study of listening to e46 M3 engines around town since I bought mine, and about half of the twenty-or-so cars I have listened to sound the same way...a few are noiser, a few are quieter, but the engine has solid valve followers (aka lifters) so it does clack.

I haven't put a glass of water on mine, so I have no data for you there. (-;
Old 07-09-2010, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 Convertible
By the way, I learned today that a valve adjustment is part of the 30000 mile inspection for the e46 M3. The service departments at Peter Pan BMW and at Humboldt Bay BMW did not mention this to me, so I'm 6k overdue for that and getting it done this week....
Old 08-14-2010, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Thanks guys appreciate the feedback! compusatman the compression test was done 2 years ago on the bar method (the round disk in german), I've been looking around for it to find and scan and show you guys the results, if I remember right after converting to PSI the biggest variation between cylinders was not more than 7-9 psi and none of the differences were on side by side cylinders. Im pretty sure they were dry and cold at the time as it was started for less than 5 minutes an hour or two prior. I know our beasts may run rough but wanted to see everyones experience. Audiosaurus I've noticed the same around here too, a few louder and softer but never got to sit in others at this milage to see if they produce the same vibes. I probably could use a valve adjustment and probably should check my coils. As for power loss; none that I noticed but the other day I turned DSC off (sport mode was off) dropped the clutch (without prior revving) from stand still and applied full throttle briskly and there was no wheelspin what so ever (tires are about 1 1/2 years old). Never really burned out before (always tried to preserve tires )
Old 08-16-2010, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: Bicycle
Sounds normal to me, that's just injector tick. Valves shouldn't be too much out of spec if you had inspections I and II done, as they are usually the most out of spec the first time they're adjusted since new.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 M3 SMG
That is helpful because I am a new M3 owner and that is exactly how mine sounds.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:06 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3 Convertible - SMG
E46 Engine Sounds

I'm still learning my way around my new-to-me 2003 M3 convertible. The engine makes what sounds like the timing chain rattling only on first start up, and around 4k to 5K RPM, under a load. Not noticeable if I shut the engine down, wait 30 seconds or so, then restart. Valves are all within spec, some a little tighter/looser than others, but all OK; Engine has 68000, and seem to be perfect otherwise. Are these engines known to develop issues with the timing chain tensioners? Thanks.