Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-29-2010, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Xdrive, MSport
To Nappa or not to Nappa?

I just placed an order for an 535 x-drive M-Sport fully loaded; however, I am wondering whether or not choosing the nappa leather was the smartest move. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the nappa leather. I also did ZAV option, so I am wondering what type of impact that will have on the wear of the leather.

thoughts??
Ads by Google
Old 08-29-2010, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim4519 View Post
I just placed an order for an 535 x-drive M-Sport fully loaded; however, I am wondering whether or not choosing the nappa leather was the smartest move. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the nappa leather. I also did ZAV option, so I am wondering what type of impact that will have on the wear of the leather.

thoughts??
I purchased the nappa option on mine and to me it is night and day difference between the dakota option. Just seems much more luxurious compared to the dakota and has a very nice quality feel and look to it.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim4519 View Post

thoughts??
I picked up my 535 last week. It has Nappa. As of now I know I made the right decision. The leather is smooth and comfortable. Not sure what the ZAV option is. BTY I also have the ventilated seats. Also very happy with the seats. The only thing that I am not happy with is the front cup holder. Looks and acts like it was designed by a 5th grade future engineering student. Other than that I LOVE the car.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Nappa is like buttah. I have the ZAV but Dakota. I don't think this option will have any adverse effects in the long term. If you clean and condition leather it will last forever. The killers of leather are negligence, little kids and smoking. Is it worth 2500 bones? In my mind it absolutely is as you will use it every second you're in the car. Is the pedestrian night vision thing worth $2600, to me it aint, cause you're not gonna use it that much.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Xdrive, MSport
Thanks for the feedback folks...much appreciated!! I feel a lot better about my decision now. Now just the looooong wait until delivery :-/
Old 08-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
I had the chance of seeing the Nappa Active Ventilated seats in Munich at the Welt. I have to say that they are indeed buttery soft. I would say that they are very much like the leather in a Lexus: Very soft, but almost no grain to the leather. But the perforations from the ZAV almost gives it a nice texture, which the plain seats lack. I did not like the Nappa without ZAV. With the ventilation, it takes a much elegant look and a nicer texture.

To be completely honest, I had already ordered mine with the Oyster/Black Dakota leather with Ventilated Seats, when I went to Munich, so I was somewhat worried that mine would be too rough compared with the Nappa that I had seen, and I had liked them a lot.

When I got mine, I was VERY HAPPY with my choice. The perforations somewhat makes the leather a lot softer (more pliable), and the grain feels great. I think that Dakota may hide small scuffs a little better, but you really can't go wrong with either one. ZAV is one of my favorite features in my car. As soon as you get in the car, the look is very luxurious.

One more thing: Turn on the seat ventilation and enjoy the leathery new car smell over and over again!!!
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Old 08-29-2010, 05:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ronsell
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
I've had the Dakota leather in a previous Beemer. It may not be as soft as Nappa, but it wears
like iron, and I really like the slight pebble grain finish. As Alex stated, you can't go wrong with
either.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i
My 535i M-Sport is currently in production . I as well thought about dropping the Nappa. This is my fourth BMW and I have never had it (well, never splurged for it). I did this time and am really looking forward to having it. It's as everyone had described, "like butter." I truly makes the interior more luxurious, more grown up. Dakota is nice as well, but VERY different. AND... everyone has Dakota. You'll be glad you have the Nappa.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
If it's like butter, wouldn't you slide around more through the turns?

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Old 08-30-2010, 03:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ronsell
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischeung View Post
If it's like butter, wouldn't you slide around more through the turns?
I would prefer to spend the extra $$$ in Napa, rather than on Nappa.