Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 08-30-2010, 10:29 PM
2001 BMW 740IL

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 740IL
New here and to BMW with questions

Hi everyone. Im very new to BMW and have always been a Cadillac person myself until this car. I got rid of my 2006 Cadillac DTS for this 2001 BMW 740IL . Its a great car but have a few things that id like to do to it but dont really know where to start. Any help would be great.

1- Id like to install "angel eyes" on it, how hard is it to install and whats the best kind?

2- It has the 18in sport wheels on it now but want to upgrade to either the Alpina 20in wheels or the 19in E65/E66 wheels and wonder if that had any effect on the car?

3-How do I get the mirrors to fold in when I lock the car? And I know how to roll the windows down with the key, but ho do you roll them up with the key?

4-Id also like to lower it a little, at least in the front, how do I know if it has self leveling or not so I can know what springs to buy for it? Or does anyone have a good reliable suggestion of a good/safe way to lower it.

5-As ive read many times, my dash pixels are bad, whats the best way and cheapest to fix that without messing with the current miles on the car.

Please let me know if anyone can help me with any of these questions. I thank you in advance for your answers. Have a good night everyone.

Last edited by 740IL; 08-30-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 740iS, 2003 540iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 740IL View Post
Hi everyone. Im very new to BMW and have always been a Cadillac person myself until this car. I got rid of my 2006 Cadillac DTS for this 2001 BMW 740IL . Its a great car but have a few things that id like to do to it but dont really know where to start. Any help would be great.

Welcome. The very first thing I'd suggest is spend some time on e38.org
Plenty of info on most everything that you'll ever need to fix on our e38s, and a lot of mods for our e38s.

1- Id like to install "angel eyes" on it, how hard is it to install and whats the best kind?
Not to hard to install, there are some great write ups with pics on e38.org. Which ones to buy? That's more of a personal choice - do you want CCFLs or LEDs? Pros & cons for each.

2- It has the 18in sport wheels on it now but want to upgrade to either the Alpina 20in wheels or the 19in E65/E66 wheels and wonder if that had any effect on the car?
You'll be putting on a heavier wheel, which will cause any previously unnoticed imperfections in your steering to show. Lots of people do add on larger wheels, just pointing out what you may run into.

3-How do I get the mirrors to fold in when I lock the car? And I know how to roll the windows down with the key, but ho do you roll them up with the key?
The later 2001 7s came with the folding mirror option. Sounds like your 7's build date wasn't late enough. You can retro-fit the power folding mirrors if you wish - again, check e38.org for how to's to determine if it's worth the cost & effort. As far as using your remote to power close the windows, yes, it can be done. I don't think a BMW dealer will do this for you, but many independent BMW shops will. Or, if you know someone with access to NCS Expert, you can get your car coded to allow it. It's an option that's not allowed in the USA, but your 7 is capable of doing it, it's just been coded to not allow it.

4-Id also like to lower it a little, at least in the front, how do I know if it has self leveling or not so I can know what springs to buy for it? Or does anyone have a good reliable suggestion of a good/safe way to lower it.
I can't help you with this, other than to check e38.org for self-levelling.

5-As ive read many times, my dash pixels are bad, whats the best way and cheapest to fix that without messing with the current miles on the car.
Unless you have access to expert coding help (&, to be honest, I'm not even sure that would help....), you'll need to replace your bad pixel cluster with a new cluster & have the new cluster coded to your car. Otherwise, you'd get the red tamper dot when the mileage of the new cluster doesn't match the mileage of your original cluster. Again, check out e38.org for the info you need to contact BMWNA to ask for help on your cluster. In the past they've paid for the cluster & the BMW owner has paid for the labor to do the install & coding.

Please let me know if anyone can help me with any of these questions. I thank you in advance for your answers. Have a good night everyone.
Hope this helps.

2000 740iS. MKIV, 16x9, DDEs controlled by Euro fog light switch, reversed steptronic +/- pattern, paddle shifters, clear corners, Basslink, iPod video with stereo audio, TV tuner, gauge rings, ///M pedals, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, quad brake lights, Dinan engine & tranny software, windows/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540iS. MKIV, 16x9, PDC, CWP, TV tuner, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, paddle shifters, windows/sunroof close via remote, iPod video & audio.

Last edited by M.Wong; 08-31-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:01 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740il
Question 5 - go to e38.org for the pixel restoration project. Take the instruments out, undo the back, spray contact cleaner on the circuit and connections. Voila
Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 AM
2001 BMW 740IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLB View Post
Question 5 - go to e38.org for the pixel restoration project. Take the instruments out, undo the back, spray contact cleaner on the circuit and connections. Voila
alredy tried this one, and now nothing below the guages lights up.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:59 PM
2001 BMW 740IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeach740 View Post
Hope this helps.

thank you very much for taking all that time to help.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:34 PM
2001 BMW 740IL

and i do have power folding mirrors with a button on the drivers door, but i wanted them to fold in and out when i lock and unlock the car with the key. how is that possible? if at all?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
Welcome 740IL

2. I've heard that 19" wheels will give the best performance for the 740. The wheels and tires of any car should be as light as possible for performance as they are the only things on the car that are "unsprung".

3. I believe this is possible but it will have to be coded into the car. I know there was one poster in another forum that did coding, but I don't remember his name or the forum he was on.

4. On the power steering cap in the engine compartment, if it says "ATF" then it is not self-leveling, if it says "Pentosin" or anything else, it is.

For 1 & 5 I wouldn't know, check out www.E38.org for the angel eyes, for the dash pixels I went to a local electronic repair shop who charged me $250.