Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Dipstick

Is it possible to purchase and install an oil dipstick in the 2011 550i? I'm not 100% sure but I read the manual and there is no reference to an oil dipstick. I've read comments that the V8 engine has one - perhaps the older V8? The new 2011 Audi S4 does not have a dipstick either but it is possible to purchase one and super easy to install i.e., pull the plug off and insert dipstick. Is that also the case with the 2011 550i? It's not a deal breaker and I will still buy the car but it really bothers me to know that I cannot check the oil with a regular old fashioned dipstick.
Ads by Google
Old 08-22-2010, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 535i
I have owned 2 BMW's without a dip stick. You get use to it and you can always check it with your i-drive. It shows you your oil level.

Last edited by helodrive; 08-22-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
Is it possible to purchase and install an oil dipstick in the 2011 550i? I'm not 100% sure but I read the manual and there is no reference to an oil dipstick. I've read comments that the V8 engine has one - perhaps the older V8? The new 2011 Audi S4 does not have a dipstick either but it is possible to purchase one and super easy to install i.e., pull the plug off and insert dipstick. Is that also the case with the 2011 550i? It's not a deal breaker and I will still buy the car but it really bothers me to know that I cannot check the oil with a regular old fashioned dipstick.

No. It is really stupid, but that's how it is with BMW now. All of us hardcore oldtimers wish for our dipsticks. For the tranny, too. Here's some technical info on how the oil sensor works.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW-oil-sensor.pdf (82.7 KB, 191 views)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 08-22-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: F10 528i on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
All of us hardcore oldtimers wish for our dipsticks.
Dipsticks are so hardcore!!!!

It is annoying though that the sensor takes for everyto tell you if you want to check from a cold start--atleast it did in my 335i.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ronsell
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
No. It is really stupid, but that's how it is with BMW now. All of us hardcore oldtimers wish for our dipsticks. For the tranny, too. Here's some technical info on how the oil sensor works.
I miss the dipstick, too. But, if it's any consolation, we have a Congress full
of them...
Old 08-22-2010, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Why complicate something so straighforward and simple? I agree, just stupid!
Thanks for the information and the PDF file link.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i on order
I understand fully why they would complicated it this way. It's because 90% of BMW owners would probably never check the dipstick but if it's monitored electronically then you can get a warning if it's low or dirty. What I don't get is why eliminate the dipstick? Redundancy is not always a bad thing.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
When my old 535i had issues with the sensor my dealer had a physical dipstick to check with but when I went to another dealer another time they did not know of such a thing. Not sure if my dealers service guys had made their own or if it's available if you have the right contacts.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530I
Does the 2006 530I have a dipstick????
Old 08-23-2010, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 525d 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet Head View Post
Does the 2006 530I have a dipstick????
No
Old 08-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
The dipstick is going the way of the mechanical handbrake. Just learn to accept its absence because I'm pretty sure BMW isn't the only one doing this, and their engineers aren't going to change their minds just because a small handful of owners complain about it.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:07 PM
OEM Hoe....

Send a message via AIM to Killjoy
Mein Auto: 1999 M3, 2002 tii
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimefam View Post
I understand fully why they would complicated it this way. It's because 90% of BMW owners would probably never check the dipstick but if it's monitored electronically then you can get a warning if it's low or dirty. What I don't get is why eliminate the dipstick? Redundancy is not always a bad thing.
Agreed. I could really appreciate both systems-for example, being OCD about my car, I would likely check electronically whether the oil is low or not every two days or so, and every time I filled up, I could check it manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmy_bimmer View Post
Oh your talking about THAT hole.. yeah thats an inspection hole
Old 08-27-2010, 12:16 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Dipstick

My wife says there is a dipstick - he's in the drivers seat.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:20 AM
A US Autobahn supporter!

Mein Auto: BMW 528i w/sport pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
The dipstick is going the way of the mechanical handbrake. Just learn to accept its absence because I'm pretty sure BMW isn't the only one doing this, and their engineers aren't going to change their minds just because a small handful of owners complain about it.
true... I would prefer having that over an "electronic" version... but technology marches us forward even when we don't want to go...

"Rules of My Road Bible"

Chapter 19, Verse 23

"Speeding is a matter of perception. If you're behind me then to you I'm speeding."
Old 08-29-2010, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
No worries -- it's just like the run-flats. Your car will go 50 miles without oil.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328 (E90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by helodrive View Post
I have owned 2 BMW's without a dip stick. You get use to it and you can always check it with your i-drive. It shows you your oil level.
yes, but why should we have to, and why does BMW feel that hooking everything up to a computer is a good idea (dipsticks, parking brakes, etc)?

I'll give you another reason: accuracy, or lack thereof. I have an E90 and often change the oil myself on the N52 engine. The book calls for seven quarts of oil for a change including filter. On my first change, that's what I did, but like many others who do their own changes, I was wary of over-filling the crankcase. Well, after the change and warm-up, the I-drive display of my oil level read "full". OK, great. Next change, I decided that I wanted to see the display (actually a little computerized engine depiction showing a green band up to what was called the full line) show me the level when it was not full, so initially I only put in six quarts. Well, the display read "full". Next change, I initially put in five quarts - FULL!! I mentioned this to my dealer at my next service and they claim they checked the sensor and it is OK.
THIS is one of the reasons why we want simple dipsticks back. It is ridiculous that we cannot get accurate readings of oil level. I wonder how many overfills have occurred with DIY changes?
For those saying most won't manually check their oil, so what? If oil level drops whether you have a dipstick or not, you will get a warning light, so give us the dipstick back for those who actually care about their oil and their cars. The others can drive around waiting for some light to come on.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:54 PM
A US Autobahn supporter!

Mein Auto: BMW 528i w/sport pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTerp View Post
yes, but why should we have to, and why does BMW feel that hooking everything up to a computer is a good idea (dipsticks, parking brakes, etc)?

I'll give you another reason: accuracy, or lack thereof. I have an E90 and often change the oil myself on the N52 engine. The book calls for seven quarts of oil for a change including filter. On my first change, that's what I did, but like many others who do their own changes, I was wary of over-filling the crankcase. Well, after the change and warm-up, the I-drive display of my oil level read "full". OK, great. Next change, I decided that I wanted to see the display (actually a little computerized engine depiction showing a green band up to what was called the full line) show me the level when it was not full, so initially I only put in six quarts. Well, the display read "full". Next change, I initially put in five quarts - FULL!! I mentioned this to my dealer at my next service and they claim they checked the sensor and it is OK.
THIS is one of the reasons why we want simple dipsticks back. It is ridiculous that we cannot get accurate readings of oil level. I wonder how many overfills have occurred with DIY changes?
For those saying most won't manually check their oil, so what? If oil level drops whether you have a dipstick or not, you will get a warning light, so give us the dipstick back for those who actually care about their oil and their cars. The others can drive around waiting for some light to come on.
+1 x the national debt....

"Rules of My Road Bible"

Chapter 19, Verse 23

"Speeding is a matter of perception. If you're behind me then to you I'm speeding."