Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5d
I'm just off the phone with Munich. I have an email address I'm about to write to. Meanwhie, my dealer too has thrown up his hands & is bringing the X5 back to me.

If I weren't so busy, I'd make more calls.

1997 Porsche Targa ex. Laguna Beach
2011 X5d - traded for 2009 Maserati GranTurismo
2010 E-350 - still looks like new
1960 Giulietta Spider - sold to Montreal
1959 Turner Mk1 30/206 -Sold back to UK
Old 08-10-2010, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35I
Hitch

I've had my hitch on my 2011 for about 2 months now. I never had them wire it up, I didnt need it. Only use it for a bike mount. I still havent gotten the trim piece for it. Are you guys saying its not being released until September now? This is total FUBAR. I can just see this, getting a phone call the Wednesday before Thanksgiving to tell me I can stop by the dealer because the trim piece for the hitch is in. Dear God......FUBAR, total FUBAR.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:47 PM

X5 was delivered yesterday PM. So, 5 days without it and no resolution. Also received a call from a woman at BMW NA apologizing for problem, but no promises on when there will be a resolution.

I'm going to be in Monterey the rest of the week. Maybe some BMW execs will be there too. Think I might harangue them? You betcha!

Old 08-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja View Post
It would be nice if this hitch were available in the US. I saw it in an accessory catalog that has 2010 in its address, but has to be a 2011 because it shows the 2011 wheels and LED coronas: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle..._catalogue.pdf And, of course its international because of the bmw.com address and, well, the LED coronas...

This one is nice because there isn't a bumper cut. What do you think it is about this one that makes it not "US worthy"?
That is a European hitch and I may just consider purchaseing one in Germany and bring it back to the states. I will check and see the next time I am in Cologne.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, M3 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-11 Driver View Post
That is a European hitch and I may just consider purchaseing one in Germany and bring it back to the states. I will check and see the next time I am in Cologne.
European hitch? Does an American hitch push rather than pull? How can a hitch be different?
What would be if enough of us USA types with new X5's show a desire for the "European model" and are prepared to buy, I would think that as a business, BMW would cater to us. Or are we dealing with, "you fill take it they way I giff it to you und you fill like it." I apologize to all Americans including myself with German heritage for that piss poor mockery of the language. However, I am serious about that hitch = how do we get a "group buy?"
Old 08-11-2010, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i
drharley,
All Europen hitches are like the one in the picture above. I would imagine that there is some legality behind it. I fly for a living, so the next time I am in Germany I will price the hitch. The nice thing with the Europen hitch it that you don't have to cut the bumper. I guess my next conceren would be if BMW will code the car for a European hitch. I would hope that they wouldn't have any problem with that. The catalog that the link goes to is for the European market. You will notice in it that they offer the active cruise and soft close doors which aren't available in the USA.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, M3 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-11 Driver View Post
drharley,
All Europen hitches are like the one in the picture above. I would imagine that there is some legality behind it. I fly for a living, so the next time I am in Germany I will price the hitch. The nice thing with the Europen hitch it that you don't have to cut the bumper. I guess my next conceren would be if BMW will code the car for a European hitch. I would hope that they wouldn't have any problem with that. The catalog that the link goes to is for the European market. You will notice in it that they offer the active cruise and soft close doors which aren't available in the USA.
I like the fact that it mounts without altering the body of the X5 as well. For those folks who have connections or the ability to speak directly to the BMW USA execs, I would ask them to request information on these hitches as well as answering your question regarding the software (which IMHO should be similar).
Old 08-12-2010, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
X5 hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageRacer477 View Post
Do you use a trailer brake controller? Was it operating? Were all lights working? If yes to both, you must be the first. In which case, who is your dealer? Who can the tech at Reeves, Tampa call to learn the right way to do it?

Please answer as soon as possible as I'm about to call them to bring the X5 back to me until they get their act together.

Thanks.
Did not use a brake controller, as the trailer does not have electric brakes, being under 3000 lbs. All lights worked well. My dealer is Motoworks BMW in Bloomington, Mn. They had some difficulty with the software install, and getting the lights to work properly. Told me they had to link the car's computer up via Internet to have an engineer help install it remotely.

Everything in working order, though, and I was impressed by it's towing abilities: acceleration, braking, mpg, etc.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skramarczuk View Post
Did not use a brake controller, as the trailer does not have electric brakes, being under 3000 lbs. All lights worked well. My dealer is Motoworks BMW in Bloomington, Mn. They had some difficulty with the software install, and getting the lights to work properly. Told me they had to link the car's computer up via Internet to have an engineer help install it remotely.

Everything in working order, though, and I was impressed by it's towing abilities: acceleration, braking, mpg, etc.
Even though you are only towing under 3000 lbs., controlled brakes would make your towing safer. I used to tow about 3500 lbs. with a Saab 9-5 turbo (MGB on Trailex 890# open trailer with electric brakes.) It towed like there was nothing back there. Then I switched to an X3 with MGB/Alfa/Turner in enclosed ATC trailer. Never did pull well & got worse over the years. With X3 I had to jury rig a switch to send signal to controller. I hope I don't have to do same with X5.

Yesterday I received email from BMW NA friend who is having Accessory Engineering contact my dealer. Let's see what happens. And, I have yet to hear back from email to BMW DE.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: E93
We got our X5d at the end of May and had what we thought were serious issues with getting the trailer hitch. I posted before on this so will not go in to details other than to say that in the end we did get a hitch put on and it works even though they could not put on a trim piece as it was not available at the time. We were recently told that we can schedule an appointment any time as our trim piece is ready. No hurry there as it does not look bad without the trim piece but it will be nice to finally get that fixed up. I will be contacting our dealership and giving them much Kudos on how they handled our situation because we originally thought we had it bad in trying to get this resolved but see that most have had it much worse.

It is definitely BMW that is the problem here and it is obvious that towing is so far down on their priorities that they have not put much effort into thinking it through. We love the X5d and think this is a shame because it pulls excellent. We do not have a brake controller because we decided that it was going to be a nightmare putting one in after reading up on this here and other places. Guess we were right. It really is a bummer on that front though because without a controller one really can't take full advantage of the vehicles great pulling torque on a heavier load. We cancelled our order for a large covered trailer since it alone weighed over 3,000lbs and have learned to deal with using our open smaller trailers. We have kept our loads on those trailers under 3500 lbs and we can never tell that we are pulling a thing including braking. Would a brake controller be safer- well of course but if you are pulling up to 4000 lbs or so I don't think it is a problem without one other than the extra wear and tear on the brakes. Good luck to everyone on this issue. We have decided that we will live with the compromise of how we have ours set up and hope that BMW gets it ALL right by the time we look to replace this vehicle in 3-5 years.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.5i Premium
2011 Tow Hitch

Sorry to hear about the 2011 X5 trailer hitch delays.
Visited BMW dealer in Smithtown, NY on August 21st, saw a new 2011 X5 3.5i Premium in showroom and started to discuss leasing but had to have a trailer hitch or no deal.
Never owned a BMW but dealer sales person was great and checked availability of towing hitch installation, after he initially said September availability. I only wanted a BMW factory hitch and he quoted $1100 (discounted from $1150) and confirmed that programming and trim kit was now ready for dealer installed delivery by August 25th. He did not want to lose this sale and I got a good lease rate based on "invoice price" and sizeable credit for purchase of my 2009 Honda Pilot Touring edition that had 16 payments remaining on current lease. It took service tech approx. 3 hour to program onboard computer to recognize trailer electrical connection so that all trailer lights, etc. work properly. No change to my 7-pin connector plug and everything works. I have a single axle trailer with surge brakes. Will retrieve my boat on Sept. 2nd from marina before Hurricane Earl reaches Long island on Friday.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:15 AM

Success at last!

Last week, Reeves picked up my X5 & had a regional tech re-program the system. All lights work as does the brake controller. Although, the trailer clearance/running lights are on even when headlights are off. Could be because X5 running lights are on. This weekend I'm going to program X5 lights off & see if that changes the trailer lights. If not, no big deal.

So,...for all of you waiting for the X5 program to be finalized - it has been. But, for now, your dealer will still have to contact regional tech to do the programming it seems.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5d
pics would be great! Thanks
Old 09-02-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
pics would be great! Thanks
See attached.

Will get to flat black high-temp paint for muffler. Spray can I have is old & not spraying.
In photo, trailer looks "nose-high." It really isn't. That's just the topography.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X5 w trailer.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	244456   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2860 (Large).jpg
Views:	402
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	244457  

Old 09-02-2010, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: Tahoe
I am scheduled for PCD on Sept. 21. I just asked my sales consultant to place an order for the tow hitch to be installed at the Performance Center. He responded that because of software issues I will need to wait until October to install the hitch at the dealership. Has anyone had their hitch installed at the PC recently? If so, have there been any problems?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnews View Post
I am scheduled for PCD on Sept. 21. I just asked my sales consultant to place an order for the tow hitch to be installed at the Performance Center. He responded that because of software issues I will need to wait until October to install the hitch at the dealership. Has anyone had their hitch installed at the PC recently? If so, have there been any problems?
tell your dealer call BMW NA Accessories Engineering. I can't believe they couldn't do it at Spartanburg.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 AM

That was my thought as well... I also placed a call to Spartanburg to see what they say. Waiting for call back...
Old 09-02-2010, 09:03 AM

Spartanburg called back and said they can not get the 2011 hitch yet because of software issues.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.5i Premium
2011 Tow Hitch

Here are pic's of August 25th installation. X5 3.5i ran beautifully today while towing my boat and trailer approx. weight 3500 lb.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011 X5 rear view with hitch.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	244463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Hitch.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	244464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Hitch detail.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	244465  
Old 09-02-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnews View Post
Spartanburg called back and said they can not get the 2011 hitch yet because of software issues.
I suggest that you call BMW NA - 201-307-4000. Ask for Accessory Engineering. If that doesn't help, ask switchboard for Kate Robison in Customer Relations. I spoke to her on 8/10. She said she was going to help me on this re-programming issue, which was resolved last week.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 AM

Thanks for that information. I'll give them a call.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: E93
For those of you that got the install done what did you have put in for the brake controller?
Old 09-02-2010, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 4.8i
I just installed mine (photo below) and used the new Tekonsha Prodigy RF. What a great innovation. It works perfectly, is completely transportable from car to car and doesn't require any in-car installation (e.g. no need to run wires). Highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW Trailer.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	244470  
Old 09-02-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidfree View Post
For those of you that got the install done what did you have put in for the brake controller?
My old Reese that cost about $70. Have had it since 2004.

Wiring from NAPA. Socket to join to BMW (photo 2) from dealer. It's part of the hitch kit.

Photos attached.

Controller sits in front "ash tray." Only run wires to front when trailering.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Reese controller s.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	244471   Click image for larger version

Name:	X5 Trlr wrg 1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	244472   Click image for larger version

Name:	X5 Trlr Wrg 2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	244473   Click image for larger version

Name:	X5 Trlr Wrg 3.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	244474  

Old 09-02-2010, 04:35 PM

I will be towing a 23 ft. boat that weighs 4500 pounds; with the trailer the total weight is 5500 pounds. The trailer has surge disc breaks. Will the x5d be able to handle that much weight?