Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5
Unhappy X5 busted Antifreeze reservoir/expansion tank by Overheating

Hello everone!

I have busted Antifreeze reservoir/expansion tank of my 2003 X5 twice in last three months due to overheating. I towed my SUV to Sterling BMW Dealer and seem like they are not sure why itís happening and giving me the worst case scenario like my engine might be shot/blown? Let me explain the issue: it only happens when my X5 is stopped/parked and engine is running; the thermostat needle plunged to the Red and occasionally I will also get a ďstop engine oil pressureĒ warning and flashing red oil symbol? Today, I parked my car but engine was running (I didnít want to stop engine b/c I also have a bad battery) my car got overheated and busted the antifreeze expansion tank causing the antifreeze fluid drained on the street. Can any one help, I donít have any money to buy a new engine?
Ads by Google
Old 07-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by baigX5 View Post
Hello everone!

I have busted Antifreeze reservoir/expansion tank of my 2003 X5 twice in last three months due to overheating. I towed my SUV to Sterling BMW Dealer and seem like they are not sure why itís happening and giving me the worst case scenario like my engine might be shot/blown? Let me explain the issue: it only happens when my X5 is stopped/parked and engine is running; the thermostat needle plunged to the Red and occasionally I will also get a ďstop engine oil pressureĒ warning and flashing red oil symbol? Today, I parked my car but engine was running (I didnít want to stop engine b/c I also have a bad battery) my car got overheated and busted the antifreeze expansion tank causing the antifreeze fluid drained on the street. Can any one help, I donít have any money to buy a new engine?
Seriously?

You ran the motor into overheat, didn't turn it off and are wondering if you might have damaged it???

Combined with sometimes you've been getting a "no oil pressure light" and I assume just driving on??

Some people should not own cars...
Old 07-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Sorry to hear your troubles and hope you can salvage your engine, I wish I had a thermostat needle on mine.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 07-09-2010, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 530
Other issues could be occurring here, but it appears that the sensor monitoring the engine temp signaling the radiator fn to activate is not working. It could be a disconnected wire, or something along this trail. Try parking your X, leave the engine running and see if the fan comes on as it gets hot. Remember the engine gets hot, so first determine how this occurs. The tank bursting is the result after overheating.

Air in the system due to boiling over will make your X continue to overheat, so it may need purging too. The tank cracks and seperates due to high heat and purging of the antifreze. A blown head gasket cold be involved too. Many local repair shops can resolve this.

Identifying these probelms is not brain science.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 3.0i
similar issue

I had a similar issue on my expansion tank, it cracked and spilled all the coolant. I was parked and the engine was running, saw some smoke from the engine compartment so turned it off and then noticed that the tank was cracked. I let it cool down and then drove home before the temperature needle was past 2/3. Had it towed to the dealership and got the tank replaced under extended warranty. It is an 05 x5 3.0 with around 56k miles on it.

Can anyone tell if the tank gets hot all the time? Since I had it replaced I keep noticing that the tank is pretty hot. Is there something in the engine that is making the coolant very hot in the expansion tank or is that normal? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
You should have posted this in the E53 forum, -maybe they can be more of help. It sure does soud like a thermostat/water pump issue.