Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330CiC
I am currently looking at replacing our 2009 Volvo S60 (wife picked it then decided that she wanted an X3, so I got stuck with it ) with an X5. I would consider a 35d, but wife has objection to diesel.

Doubt I will have the chance to do any comparison shopping as we have no Audi, Land Rover or VW dealers here, but if third row seating were a concern, I would be looking at a Suburban. Bad mileage and tough to park, but real third row.
2004 330CIC Silver Grey Metallic, Premium Package, Sports Package, CPO (Retired)
BMWCCA member
Old 08-15-2010, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilby View Post
We have both the 2010 Q7 TDI and the 2010 X5 35d.

The engine sounds more 'rough' or 'raw' in the X5 - the Q7 is quieter, both when you sit inside the car and also when you stand next to it whilst running.

The steering cannot be compared - Q7 is incredibly light to the touch whereas the X5 lets you feel what is going on - the X5 steering is quite heavy actually (it took some getting used to, but now I like it!).

For interior fit & finish, there's nothing in it. Both were top notch.

For interior features/styling, Audi gets 9/10. BMW gets more like 7/10. I think the Audi looks more modern and high quality. The orange BMW lighting is a bit 1990's to my taste. Now, if the LCI had received the same treatment as the 5GT et al, I would be saying something else...

We have the prestige package Q7 with the 'fancy' cricket leather. Apparently to cut costs, Audi stopped putting leather on the dash. I have the leather X5 dash and I love it. It looks great.

Q7 is definitely way bigger inside. It's a tank. But its a very comfortable one. We have air suspension and the ride quality is very very nice for long trips and when you just want to chill/relax.

The X5 is much more sporty - I love flinging mine into corners and the road grip feel is superb.

The lights on the 2010 Q7 are definitely better looking than the 2010 X5 (also 2010 LCI IMO). Audi removed the adaptive lights feature (that positions the lights left/right when going around corners, X5 still has this).

X5 has HUD, Audi has a multi-function colour display above the steering wheel. The Audi functionality is better looking, but the HUD is much more convenient. HUD is a great feature.

iDrive vs the Audi system - they are both very good IMO. In terms of Nav, the Q7 doesn't show highway/motorway exit numbers early enough which is quite annoying, but I think it does a better job at vocalizing the street names. Screen is bigger in the X5 which is a plus. I'll never know why the Q7 screen is so small. It looks funny.

The side running boards on the Q7 have started to rust already from road salt. I need to complain about that as we've only had the car for 3 months.

X5 has better seats - (if you get comfort). Also, the Audi Q7 comfort access (keyless entry) doesn't work reliably with one of our key fobs. X5 has the same feature and it's been 100% reliable.

Sorry this is a bit random but just writing things down as the pop into my head. Shout if you have specific questions.

X5 = mine, Q7 = wifes.
somehow my wife feels Q7 is more like for men
Old 08-15-2010, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: e46 m3
After owning a Touareg for 5 years, I will never, ever own another VW or Audi again. That was 5 years of putting the correct time on the clock every time I got in the vehicle, a door that got stuck in the locked position for no apprent reason which was crow barred open by dealer after conference with VWof A and a 1/2 decade of over priced inferior service...................... DIE VW!!!!
(I ORDERED AN X5 35D!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 silverado
In the long run you are better off purchasing the X5 diesel, why?, simple, Audi will not allow the system to recognize any Adblue fill by owners. Audi claims this protects the delicate and expensive adblue system from accidental or incorrect fluid application by owner. The funny thing is that Audi engineers placed the adblue fill opening next to the diesel fill opening yet you may only add a few drops in case of an emergency. You can fill the system with all the adblue you want but the adblue system will not recognize it until it is reset by the STEALERSHIP. Eventually they(Audi) will not have the time and man power to conveniently reset the adblue system so I predict that the next Q7 generation will be more customer friendly. BEWARE of the ADBLUE TRAP. Do the math first. Vehicle purchase price, Adblue cost, petrol and diesel fuel cost should be in the equation. If you are a true diesel fan then you know that diesel engines are mechanically superior(engine) but thats about it. Adblue(urea) has complicated the once believed fuel savings by diesel vehicles. Adblue (urea) will eventually drop in price but not before it makes a killing. We all know that VW sells the same urea treatment cheaper and some customers are now going to truck stops or online to purchase at a much cheaper price.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Maury, check out the Acadia or the Enclave. Great mileage and a very usable fold in the floor third row seat. Virtually the same size as the Tahoe/Yukon but more room and better mileage. However if you really need the room than a 'burban is the one!

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-12-2010 at 12:19 PM.