Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
sent you a PM ncmallard78, thanks! Give me a call if you have any questions.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 540i
Hi Mark,

Do they go for $102 for the 540i?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Disturbing news

So yesterday morning it was quite on the cool side. 7C or for you US folks, about 44 F. It was morning, and not too much traffic (sighs with relief). The car is garaged every day, so the temperature is much higher than that outside. That being said, there was no braking issue. So here I go, cruising between 50-70 Km/hr (30-43 mph), speed limits permitting. Because there wasn't much traffic, I believe them pads cooled down really good. Point is, the speedo went up, so I said, lets slow down a bit and hit the brakes. Well, surprise: do you guys remeber the cars that had no ABS? Now imagine you are in one of those cars and now you drive on ice. Suddenly you brake. What is the feeling? I tell you: nothing . You're just gliding. That's exactly how the Akes reacted. I was lucky there was no traffic, or I didn't need to do an emergency brake. It was like if someone poured oil on them brakes. Eventually they warmed up and started to bite again.

Well, winter is coming and we have waaaay colder days than that. This being said, the FINAL WORD on the Akebono (if you live in a cold climate zone) - they're utterly junk. They are probably OK if you live somwhere where you don't have winter, or maybe if you plug the brake ducts? I certainly love the dustless braking, but suddenly I just fell in love with the black sh*t

Anyways, after I got home, I ordered some Jurids.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 09-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Conservative Modder

Send a message via Yahoo to Graham E39 528i
Mein Auto: 528i Slush (1999)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
So yesterday morning it was quite on the cool side. 7C or for you US folks, about 44 F. It was morning, and not too much traffic (sighs with relief). The car is garaged every day, so the temperature is much higher than that outside. That being said, there was no braking issue. So here I go, cruising between 50-70 Km/hr (30-43 mph), speed limits permitting. Because there wasn't much traffic, I believe them pads cooled down really good. Point is, the speedo went up, so I said, lets slow down a bit and hit the brakes. Well, surprise: do you guys remeber the cars that had no ABS? Now imagine you are in one of those cars and now you drive on ice. Suddenly you brake. What is the feeling? I tell you: nothing . You're just gliding. That's exactly how the Akes reacted. I was lucky there was no traffic, or I didn't need to do an emergency brake. It was like if someone poured oil on them brakes. Eventually they warmed up and started to bite again.

Well, winter is coming and we have waaaay colder days than that. This being said, the FINAL WORD on the Akebono (if you live in a cold climate zone) - they're utterly junk. They are probably OK if you live somwhere where you don't have winter, or maybe if you plug the brake ducts? I certainly love the dustless braking, but suddenly I just fell in love with the black sh*t

Thanks for the confession. Took some courage, perhaps. I'm shocked, they're junk? What about warming up the pads right after you start driving? 44F is not very cold....

OEM BBS Style 42 (18x9) | Conti DW 245/40-18 | KraftStab Strut Bar | Bilstein Sports | Vogtland Springs | Eibach Sway Bars | Mason Sway Bar Links | e36 M3 Steering Wheel | Biarritz Blue Metallic | Nimble & Graceful
Portland BMW Club Member
Old 09-11-2010, 09:43 AM

Graham, I was lucky because there was no traffic. I just wanted to slow down a tad, and hitting the brakes without any reaction is very disturbing. Probably in heavy traffic, one has the foot on the brakes every now and then so they stay warm. Yesterday morning was the 1st time ever I drove quite a stretch without needing the brakes. Imagine it's colder, you're on the Hwy, and you need to stop. What's next?
It's true, the last time I washd the rims was in May, and my rims still look good. It's true the pads worked great the whole summer, no complaints, just a slight lesser bite compared to OEM. But what I experienced yesterday morning was a wakeup call. What if the light would have turned red and I had stop, and there was traffic going through? And if also had my kids in the back seat?
I made up my mind. Jurids.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Old 09-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Been there done that...

Send a message via ICQ to Orxan4ik Send a message via AIM to Orxan4ik Send a message via MSN to Orxan4ik Send a message via Yahoo to Orxan4ik Send a message via Skype™ to Orxan4ik
Mein Auto: '97 540iA
I went from jurids to comparable to akebonos pad (axiss deluxe) all around for 2 yrs, and then this summer swapped the front for jurids. Ceramic pads are far from junk and I've autocrossed on them plenty, when they're warm they bite harder than jurids (they're hard on ur rotors too btw). So with that said, they're good pads, you just need to change your driving style (like pump the brake once, and on second pump they frigging bite. As for emergency situation, just slam on brakes and you'll hang on your seatbelt... literally 2 secs later.

As with anything it's a compromise, but don't badmouth it because it's far from junk (:
Old 09-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by POof540i View Post
I have the Axxis Deluxe pads and those bad boys are noisy.
Interesting noise observation.

As per recommendations, I originally put on Jurid/Textar pads & Brembo rotors, then a month or so ago I put PBR Deluxe Advanced pads on the front (I used PBR because Axxis, I am told, is no longer is sold in the USA), and my next set will be the Akebono EUR### Ultra-Premium Ceramic pads.

As for noise, my PBR Deluxe Advanced pads (I'm told the PBR pads are the same as the Axxis Deluxe Advanced) have no noise to speak of. And, I also drive like a little old lady.

Interesting how we differ in noise experience given we have the same friction material.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orxan4ik View Post
I went from jurids to comparable to akebonos pad (axiss deluxe) all around for 2 yrs, and then this summer swapped the front for jurids. Ceramic pads are far from junk and I've autocrossed on them plenty, when they're warm they bite harder than jurids (they're hard on ur rotors too btw). So with that said, they're good pads, you just need to change your driving style (like pump the brake once, and on second pump they frigging bite. As for emergency situation, just slam on brakes and you'll hang on your seatbelt... literally 2 secs later.

As with anything it's a compromise, but don't badmouth it because it's far from junk (:
That's hard to say...
How many regular standard drivers will actually warm up the brakes before stopping...?
Is it really worth it for a daily driver...???
Especially if the driver has kids in the back seat...?
I know, because I have kids, and would I like it not being able to stop while they are in the back seat...?
Um, no.
Is it worth risking...?
Um, no.

Last edited by Jason5driver; 09-11-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Been there done that...

Send a message via ICQ to Orxan4ik Send a message via AIM to Orxan4ik Send a message via MSN to Orxan4ik Send a message via Yahoo to Orxan4ik Send a message via Skype™ to Orxan4ik
I've locked up my brakes with axiss pads at speeds well over the limit - all just slamming on the brakes on the highway, which proves the point the pads are GOOD for what they are (low dusting quiet pad) read description befoe buying (:

if u cant lockup the ceramic brakes with one pump, hit the gym and do some squats

It's like saying 525 is less performance oriented than m5 so therefore it's junk. Bad logic

P.S. I've yet to see someone get in an accident bc of axiss or akebono pads so the risk level is no more than walking outside

Last edited by Orxan4ik; 09-11-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orxan4ik View Post
I've locked up my brakes with axiss pads at speeds well over the limit - all just slamming on the brakes on the highway, which proves the point the pads are GOOD for what they are (low dusting quiet pad) read description befoe buying (:

if u cant lockup the ceramic brakes with one pump, hit the gym and do some squats

It's like saying 525 is less performance oriented than m5 so therefore it's junk. Bad logic

P.S. I've yet to see someone get in an accident bc of axiss or akebono pads so the risk level is no more than walking outside
This doesn't make sense to me.
It's like saying, here, I can stop flintstone style with stone blocks as pads - just as long as I can panic stop - it doesn't matter...
Why bother looking at any type or brand of pad in the first place?
Just as long as you can panic stop, you can have any junk pad, it doesn't matter...?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:54 AM
Been there done that...

panic stop is what was blown out of proportion in the first place

"what if I had kids? what if there were pedestrians? blah blah blah..." SLAM ON THE BRAKES! Does it stop? GOOD! Still feel @ risk? Yes?? Whoa, you must've been driving a Bugatti all of your life Oh boy, welcome to our (e39) world...

I hate to be beating a dead horse, but other folks that read this thread need to understand that ITS A CERAMIC PAD and it needs SOME HEAT to bite. In return you get a QUIET LOW DUSTING PAD that WILL impress even your auto-X instructor if need be. The downside is that they're VERY HARSH on your rotors (1 set of pads = 1 set of rotors), but they DO last longer than oem compound pad so there's a little give there.

and before we all go blaming the pads, check the rest of your braking system first.

Last edited by Orxan4ik; 09-12-2010 at 03:00 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:

Wow! Very interesting. I ran my Euros all last winter in New England (and we had some pretty COLD AMs) and never experienced anything like that. 44F is NOT that cold. Gonna have to monitor my cold weather braking performance. Thanx for the warning. However, this is the first I have ever heard of this. Your pictures indicate you have drilled rotors. Might this be related to this issue? Hmmm...

Last edited by Fudman; 09-12-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:

Well, isn't that just beautiful.

That is exactly what I said about Akebono a couple of years ago. That they are worthless in cold weather. But of course, the hype on the Bonos was so hip, nobody wanted to listen. And as a result, you are now going back to the trusted ugly dusty OEM.

Get yourself the Axxis. Just because Akebono sucks, doesn't mean everything else sucks.

mw
Old 09-12-2010, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post

That is exactly what I said about Akebono a couple of years ago. That they are worthless in cold weather. But of course, the hype on the Bonos was so hip, nobody wanted to listen. And as a result, you are now going back to the trusted ugly dusty OEM.

Get yourself the Axxis. Just because Akebono sucks, doesn't mean everything else sucks.

mw
I had Akebonos on my other car since April, so experience is limited to spring/summer. I didn't even like their toothless bite in these warm months. They seemed "good enough" for 99.99% of all braking situations, but I pulled them out because my anxiety centers on the rare and unforeseeable panic stop. Plus I have kids driving (not the 528i tho'). I don't "track" and probably will never be worried about fade from heavy-use situations (the rare mountain pass downhill?). These cars are daily drivers on streets with a lot of unknowns. Panic stops could happen any instant. It has gotten worse here in Oregon the past few years, what with all the Californians fleeing that state.

I have good semi-metallics on both my cars now and don't worry about -my- stopping ability but I still worry what other cars around me are running. I kinda hope the car behind me in congested traffic has quick-biting brakes that can compensate for slow driver reaction times.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:

mw
Yes, I have heard this before...

I think Doru went with the OEM Jurids because he knows they WILL brake well regardless of the temperature outside.

Which Axxis pads are you recommending...?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post

I think Doru went with the OEM Jurids because he knows they WILL brake well regardless of the temperature outside.

Yes, I understand why Doru went back to the familiar to him Jurid.

"Those who were burnt with boiling waters, will then be careful with lukewarm waters". - I don't know who said that.

I have the Axxis Deluxe Plus. People here posted that it's difficult to find them now. Difficult, but not impossible. You'll have to make some phone calls to the site sponsors to try and get them.

When I had the Akebono, I had to remind myself to constantly check the brakes and warm them up, to bring them up to bite.

mw
Old 09-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
I kinda hope the car behind me in congested traffic has quick-biting brakes that can compensate for slow driver reaction times.
Sorry to say, but many newer, cheaper cars have much better brakes than 528s have.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post

+1,000,000 to that. Drove in -50C (-58F) and in +35C (95 F). Never had a problem. Same braking.
And for Orxan: "what if I had kids...etc, etc)" is the scariest thought. I can tell you 100% it was a moment of utmost scariness when I hit the brakes and nothing happened. In like 50-60m. In a panic brake situation, if you would have experienced what I experienced, you would have gone through 3 walls and 2 blown airbags. At least. And I don't want to drive and pump the breaks steady so they are warm just in case. Brakes should brake and that's it. Maybe my combo of drilled rotors didn't fare too well, because I noticed other people have the blanks installed with the Akebono, or they are just in denial - this I don't know. But I will NOT forget the moments I went through. Needless to say, since the incident, I always pump the brakes every now and then (like I have other stuff to worry about besides my temp gauge, and traffic) and yes, it brakes OK. Soon we will have real winter, and I just want peace of mind. End of story, and thanks everyone for listening to my rant. The post is called "review" and I hope I posted the good and the bad about these pads. Everyone is free to do whatever he wants with his hard earned cash.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Bimmerholic

Mein Auto: 2001 530 SP/PP/CWP/Slush
Would like to revisit this thread as I was just about to pull the trigger on new rotors and 'bono pads but now am having second thoughts based on Doru's experience. I'd like to hear from someone else running them in winter and see if they really have poor cold bite--that would not be good.

2001 530 Steel Blue Metallic, purchased Dec 03
SP/PP/CWP/Slushbox (I know I know)

OEM M5 bumper, 40% Huper Optik ceramic tint, Dice Silverline Pro iPod adapter, 540SP radial spokes, Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads
"Mods": driveshaft, cooling system, Vanos, CCV, PSR, VCG, FSU, spark plugs, buncha belts-n-hoses, & other things I'd just as soon forget

BMW CCA member for 12 years
Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh P. View Post
Would like to revisit this thread as I was just about to pull the trigger on new rotors and 'bono pads but now am having second thoughts based on Doru's experience. I'd like to hear from someone else running them in winter and see if they really have poor cold bite--that would not be good.
If you want a second opinion, scroll back and read my posts. What would you like me to elaborate on the "they suck in the winter" / "I told you so" part???

mw
Old 09-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Bimmerholic

Mein Auto: 2001 530 SP/PP/CWP/Slush
Quote:
If you want a second opinion, scroll back and read my posts. What would you like me to elaborate on the "they suck in the winter" / "I told you so" part???

mw
Well Jared at EAC says they give up a little bit of initial cold bite, but when warmed up are better than OEM. That's a lot different than being on the highway and having no brakes, a la Doru.

Obv all new pads take some adjustment. I can live with low brake dust versus no brake dust if it means the difference of good cold bite versus not very good cold bite--nobody wants to be pumping the brakes every time they get in the car November through March. I will be using solid or slotted rotors not drilled.

I'd like to hear more than two opinions from those who have used them. I understand you don't like them.

2001 530 Steel Blue Metallic, purchased Dec 03
SP/PP/CWP/Slushbox (I know I know)

OEM M5 bumper, 40% Huper Optik ceramic tint, Dice Silverline Pro iPod adapter, 540SP radial spokes, Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads
"Mods": driveshaft, cooling system, Vanos, CCV, PSR, VCG, FSU, spark plugs, buncha belts-n-hoses, & other things I'd just as soon forget

BMW CCA member for 12 years

Last edited by Josh P.; 09-13-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh P. View Post
Well Jared at EAC says they give up a little bit of initial cold bite, but when warmed up are better than OEM. That's a lot different than being on the highway and having no brakes, a la Doru.

Obv all new pads take some adjustment. I can live with low brake dust versus no brake dust if it means the difference of good cold bite versus not very good cold bite--nobody wants to be pumping the brakes every time they get in the car November through March. I will be using solid or slotted rotors not drilled.

I'd like to hear more than two opinions from those who have used them. I understand you don't like them.
OK. My math should be off a little. You've asked for a second opinion while I can see from your post above that you are actually searching for the 4th opinion.

Like Doru said above, "Everyone is free to do whatever he wants with his hard earned cash." I agree.

mw
Old 09-13-2010, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: '01 530i S/P 5sp
I have Zimmerman xdrilled rotors/akebono euro on all corners installed in April. Last week I was driving my kids to school. I have no stop sign for 2 blocks, but cross traffic does. I had a feeling of something as I coast around 35-40mph near the intersection. I had my foot kinda hovering over my brakes. Suddenly within 50 feet of intersection, a honda accord approaches and I'm thinking, RU stopping or not?!?!?! In a split second, I slammed on the brakes and I swerved just a tad to my left. When smoke settled, I just glanced at the driver and was speechless. Damn Asian woman driving just smiled, waved at me and drove off. I checked my kids to see if they were ok and luckily only got shoulder/neck soreness.

Cliff notes: Akebono euro brake pad works.

OEM M5 F Bumper | Rep R Bumper | Magnaflow 14815 Muffler w/ glasspack Resonator | Koni+H&R Sport | CDV Deleted | Eibach f/r sway bars | Hard-wired V1 Radar
e60 shifter w/ZHP shift knob | 18x9 Style 42 OEM | Continental DW 255/35 | Zimmermann Xdrilled w/Akebono Ceramic Pad | 35% Madico tint | Infinity Basslink
Eonon 5124U Navi unit w/backup cam | Thule Bike Rack | CF interior trim wrap
Old 09-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverE39 View Post
I have Zimmerman xdrilled rotors/akebono euro on all corners installed in April. Last week I was driving my kids to school. I have no stop sign for 2 blocks, but cross traffic does. I had a feeling of something as I coast around 35-40mph near the intersection. I had my foot kinda hovering over my brakes. Suddenly within 50 feet of intersection, a honda accord approaches and I'm thinking, RU stopping or not?!?!?! In a split second, I slammed on the brakes and I swerved just a tad to my left. When smoke settled, I just glanced at the driver and was speechless. Damn Asian woman driving just smiled, waved at me and drove off. I checked my kids to see if they were ok and luckily only got shoulder/neck soreness.

Cliff notes: Akebono euro brake pad works.
And the weather in SF yesterday?

mw
Old 09-13-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
OK. My math should be off a little. You've asked for a second opinion while I can see from your post above that you are actually searching for the 4th opinion.

Like Doru said above, "Everyone is free to do whatever he wants with his hard earned cash." I agree.

mw
Funny, I know at least 2 more people that have had negative experience with the Akebono's.

Quote:
And the weather in SF yesterday?

mw
Exactly.
Almost every person commenting positive about the Akebono's lives in California, or the south.
LOL!

Last edited by Jason5driver; 09-14-2010 at 05:02 AM.