Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 530, 02 540, 07 525
Airbag light reset!

I just met up with a bimmerfest member (Cereall) yesterday to have my airbag light reset. I had complained earlier about the ridiculous price a dealer wants just to plug in a cable, tap a few buttons, and viola, the light goes off. Cereall PM'd me and said he has Carsoft and can reset it for me so we met. Thanks again Cereall!

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be eaten by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2009, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 528i
is there another way to reset the airbag light other than going to the dealer, can you use a peak tool reader or what ??
OEM Hella Celis LED taillights
M5 Flat Black Kidney Grilles
OEM Clear Sidemarkers
19" ADR Wheels / Dunlop Sport SP MAXX Tires
Custom Black Interior Trim
5 % tint
Ac Schnitzer Pedal Set
Painted Eye Lids
M5 Rear Bumper
M Tech Exhaust
OEM Front Lip
OEM M5 Trunk Spoiler

Currrent BMWs:
1998 528i Blk/Blk-e39
2005 325i Blk/Blk-e46

Previous BMWs:
1998 BMW e36 green 318i-e36
1997 BMW e39 sterling Gray 528i-e39
Old 05-31-2009, 11:27 AM

I believe Peake does make an airbag light reset tool but it's very limited in what else it's good for. Other than those two options, there is no other known way to reset the light correctly.

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be eaten by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325xi 5 speed
Airbag light reset

(This is my first post. Hoping for a few results with this problem. Here goes...)

My E46 had the dreaded Airbag Light come on (WHY does it have to look like the guy has a medicine ball in his lap...?)

It happened after I followed the instructions for removal/replacement of the driver's door airbag while changing the window regulator. (BTW, do NOT pay the stealer for this job: $150US for the part, PLUS $350 for "labor", apparently billed at, oh $175/hour..) Was able to put in aftermarket regulator from FCP Groton, at $55.00, and it took me 2 hours. I'm an average mechanic, with basic tools and good sense of determination, and a Bohemian sensibility when it comes to spending money.

OK, rant's over....

Anyway, the airbag light came on after reassembling everything. I'm told that it COULD be reset with a Peake tool ($150), Stealer price ($135), OR...shorting two of the contacts in the diagnostic plug base, where the Peake tool would interface with the car's OBD computer. Sooooo.......which are the two contacts to short? Anyone had experience with this? AND...been successful?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice/chastisement/comments!

Last edited by drmax60; 09-15-2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 09-15-2010, 09:30 PM

I wish there was an easier way myself. I'd rather just put up with the light than spend over $100 just to have it turned off.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:13 AM

Mein Auto: 98 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporarySanity View Post
I wish there was an easier way myself. I'd rather just put up with the light than spend over $100 just to have it turned off.
The law allows you to drive around with an airbag light on? Have you tried the passenger occupancy airbag light fix?
Old 09-16-2010, 06:11 AM

I don't think the law has jurisdiction over that. My light is on because I had the airbag unplugged when I was working on my window regulator and turned the key for power.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:10 AM

So far, MI doesn't require annual inspections. As for which version of Carsoft, I don't know. I just met up with the owner/fest member and he reset it for me.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmax60 View Post

Anyway, the airbag light came on after reassembling everything. I'm told that it COULD be reset with a Peake tool ($150), Stealer price ($135), OR...shorting two of the contacts in the diagnostic plug base, where the Peake tool would interface with the car's OBD computer. Sooooo.......which are the two contacts to short? Anyone had experience with this? AND...been successful?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice/chastisement/comments!

Hi - just a bit of clarification, our R5/SRS airbag tool retails for $129.99, though most authorized dealers sell it for $119.99.

Best of luck,

Ken

Last edited by Peake Research; 09-16-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 5sp; 2001 740iL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporarySanity View Post
I just met up with a bimmerfest member (Cereall) yesterday to have my airbag light reset. I had complained earlier about the ridiculous price a dealer wants just to plug in a cable, tap a few buttons, and viola, the light goes off. Cereall PM'd me and said he has Carsoft and can reset it for me so we met. Thanks again Cereall!
May I ask what triggered the airbag light in the first place, and if the Carsoft tool read the code properly? From what I've read, it is most commonly due to the sensor in the seat itself or the sensor in the seatbelt. Did the reset tool turn off the light without you having to correct the cause? I have been dealing with this light for quite some time now (I think my son kneed on the seat itself while trying to reach for something in the backseat). CN90 was trying to come up with a fix for this issue as well. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaping View Post
May I ask what triggered the airbag light in the first place, and if the Carsoft tool read the code properly? From what I've read, it is most commonly due to the sensor in the seat itself or the sensor in the seatbelt. Did the reset tool turn off the light without you having to correct the cause? I have been dealing with this light for quite some time now (I think my son kneed on the seat itself while trying to reach for something in the backseat). CN90 was trying to come up with a fix for this issue as well. Thanks in advance.
My issue at that time was when I was replacing the steering wheel buttons, I turned the key to unlock the wheel when I had the airbag out. I accidently turned the key to the on position which triggered the light. Once I reassembled the wheel, I knew there would not be an issue but it doesn't reset the light so I had a friend reset it for me. I'm sure there isn't a problem with the SRS system. Thanks

Old 12-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
As an xref, there is a nice airbag reset procedure here:
- air bag light reset - was drivers belt buckle
Old 12-18-2010, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
The PA Soft should be able to do it too...
Old 07-03-2013, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw x5
i have a pro scan and i can reset my codes but can i use this tyro reset my air bag light on the dash
Old 07-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
BMW srs is so stupid , they subcoded the regular obcoding that everyone has been useing since the 90's

Last edited by Burning2nd; 01-16-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
My $12 Loftek B800 hasn't failed me yet in reading and resetting srs lights on several BMW models.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i 5 speed
Airbag Light Clearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentValve View Post
My $12 Loftek B800 hasn't failed me yet in reading and resetting srs lights on several BMW models.
BentValve, let me know what part of VA you're located in?
Old 11-21-2013, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
I am in Northern Virginia in Fairfax. You are more than welcomed to use it for free. PM me.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i BMW sedan
i have a FALSE seat belt code 6 ( pretentioner ) on 1997 bmw 528i . i rest it but immediately comes back on. Isn't there away to wire around this problem without messing up the system so as it won't work ? I heard there is a few resistors and a nother piece of electrical part you can install in the harness under the seat to fix this? Anyone please help. the dealer wants a small fortune to fix it! Roy
Old 01-15-2014, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
Airbag light reset

Hello,

I've got a 1997 Z3 with a persistent airbag dashboard light. I'm in northern VA (Annandale) and wondered if anyone might be willing to let me borrow their reset device?

BentValve...does your Loftek B800 work on the Z3 models?

Thanks! - duncatc
Old 01-16-2014, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncatc View Post
Hello,

I've got a 1997 Z3 with a persistent airbag dashboard light. I'm in northern VA (Annandale) and wondered if anyone might be willing to let me borrow their reset device?

BentValve...does your Loftek B800 work on the Z3 models?

Thanks! - duncatc
First you need to get the airbags codes, then you need to fix the issue and reset it. Best would be if you could find some member with INPA.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
- What is the cheapest usable BMW E39 airbag srs reset/scan tool on the net (1) & what other scan tools reset the fault (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & a BMW description of the SRS system (1) & what can cause a BMW E39 SRS airbag light (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & a cn90 DIY for replacing the driver seat belt buckle pretensioner and the passenger seat emulator (1) (2) & where to obtain an airbag occupancy sensor bypass unit (0) (1) (2) & what happens when we disconnect the airbag before the battery or we connect the battery before disconnecting the airbag in seat and window regulator repairs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-17-2014, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 318ci
Smile Airbag light

I had a similar problem last year, paid staelers 90 to tell me what was wrong and they gave a estimate of over 1.000 to check it fix it going on about seat matting, control unit, wheel sensor etc.I bought a control unit which was situated under the gear shift consul but access was from rear seat compartment underneath the rear air vent, nimbled my hands into the small gap, a few sore knuckles later removed and replaced unit ( purchased on Ebay for 35 ) and when finished, put ignition on, and the light remained on, went to local garage and they reset light for 20, job done. stealers could not reset the computer so it was the problem and a cheap fix but a lot of worry till done
Old 01-17-2014, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 540i
My cheap B800 serves me well. It read my codes and reset the light after I took care of the problem, which was a faulty seat occupancy sensor. Replacing the actual sensor is a pain because you have to reupholster the seat afaik. I ended up getting one of those plug in thingies from eBay. It tricks the SRS module into thinking that someone is always sitting in the passenger seat. The up side is that the light is no longer on and the airbag will go off in case of an accident, the down side is that the airbag will go off even if no one is sitting in the seat.

My Loftek B800 also came with a booklet full of code explanations. If someone is going to buy one of those plug in modules(?) on eBay, make sure to read the seller's reviews, the first one I bought was faulty. I ended up sending it back and buying a different one from another member.

98 540i (6MT)
Custom intake
De-catted
DUDMD Tune

Last edited by 00black540i; 01-17-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 02 E65 745i
Call and file a complaint

Hello, I have a 202 e65 745i with only 73k on it. 2 days ago the airbag light and the seatbelt light came on with a warning on the idrive that said passenger restraint system failure. I have family that is BMW certified in another state, gave a call and they said check for recalls. BMW NA did issue the recall bulletin as listed in another users post. After review of the bulletin my year is not on the list. I called BMW NA directly and they said my year is not on the list also. Now my car has 73k on it. That's very low mileage for a 2002 and there are not really many passengers in the car so for here to be an issue on the passenger side system is odd. Especially when its the passenger side of the car that all the recalls are issued for. just called 1 888 327 4236 that's the national safety commission complaint line. Spoke with a very nice lady that took all my info about what was wrong and the mileage VIN etc. I also asked her how it was that they issued the recalls if it was by part number used or complaints filed. She basically told me that they issue a recall based on the number of complaints for specific year and model cars and that it may very well be that I have the same faulty part number installed in my car but the fact that there are not enough complaints on the issue for my specific year that they would skip listing my year in the affected models. She also said she was uploading my complaint file to Safercar.gov and that is the place that engineers go to review complaints and make decisions on what cars get recalled.

If you have any other year BMW that is affected with the passenger side restraint system warning on idrive that would also have your seatbelt light on and airbag light on go to the website or call the number and file a complaint. She said the more complaints they get the more likely they are to issue a recall. Thanks hopefully with enough complaints we can get this serious safety issue in our cars fixed by the dealer like they should be doing anyways.

safercar.gov

1 888 327 4236 National safety hotline