Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems

Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems
Have you had an exceptionally great experience with a particular BMW Center? Have you had a bad experience at your BMW Center? Frustrated by problems or defects with your vehicle? Post your stories or comments here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2010, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i
Exclamation Chapman BMW of Phoenix AZ sold me a damaged CPO'd 650i

Buyer Beware!

I purchased a 2008 CPO BMW 650i in May 2010 and was told the car was in great shape and that because it was CPO'd vehicle, there had been no prior accidents, paint work or body damage. After a few weeks, I noticed the front end bumper and quarter panels were not lining up correctly. I looked behind the bumper and saw parts that held the bumper on had been glued together and were coming undone. After taking it to a body shop, they pointed out bent aluminum parts in the engine compartment, a replaced engine hood and a poor paint job on the front end.

I took the car back to the dealer and they told me the car would be sent to Chapman BMW Certified body shop for repairs. After not hearing from the dealer for a week, I went to the body shop where my car was supposed to be, and they told me the car was never brought in. Apparently Chapman BMW heard I was looking for my car and called me and told me they sent it to an independent shop they use.

Fast forward to today... My car has been in twice to this body shop. It was there for 4 weeks the first time and after I went to pick it up, the bumper and fenders were still misaligned even though they said they had replaced bent and missing parts underneath. I brought it back a second time a few weeks later and they had it for another 3 weeks. This time, they replaced the bumper and left fender. Although the paint job looks good, the bumper and front end is still misaligned ( seams are off with large uneven gaps, bumper screw holes near radiator support barely line up with the bumper, etc..) which leads me to believe there may be frame or unibody damage. Since most of the front end panels have been replaced and repainted, I will undoubtedly have a hard time trading it in or trying to sale it at a later date without taking a huge loss since it appears it has had major work now.

I paid a premium to purchase a CPO'd vehicle for what I thought was supposed to be a car that offered "peace of mind" since it had to pass BMW's vigorous inspection in order to be certified. Don't make the same mistake I did and make sure to have the car inspected before purchasing it since BMW's inspection process is not as thorough as they make it seem.
Advertisement