Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 745LI
A/C compressor drive belt

Hello Guys, does anyone know how to remove the A/C compressor drive belt on a 2005 745?

Thank you.
Ads by Google
Old 09-17-2010, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
From what I've heard from the shop, you just cut it off (!), as there is no tensioner.
Installing a replacement belt will need a special BMW provided tool.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuril View Post
From what I've heard from the shop, you just cut it off (!), as there is no tensioner.
Installing a replacement belt will need a special BMW provided tool.
I had to remove some screws from the back of the ac compressor and loosen the compressor for it to come off but no special BMW tools needed.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
There is a tensioner on the AC belt

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Old 08-16-2012, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
Missing belt tensioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakaveliFaison View Post
There is a tensioner on the AC belt
Not on all models, just found this out. My ac belt broke and week ago so I decided to replace it as well as the drive belt however, when I went to put the belt on there was a lot of slack and no way to tighten it as there was no belt tensioner, so I was stumped. Either the guy ordered the wrong belt or when my belt broke it snatched the tensioner off as well....not likely but I had no clue. The tensioner was not in the pan and where it should be bolted was caked with road debris and what not. After I read this post a few times I realized that on some models they put a AC belt tensioner and on some models they didn't, not sure of which ones but I am absolutely certain that I didn't drop a belt tensioner when the belt broke. I'll do so more digging because apparently this belt is not the standard one that the parts stores see when they do there search, only the ac belt that goes along with the belt tensioner comes up. I'll be back.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsMeow View Post
Not on all models, just found this out. My ac belt broke and week ago so I decided to replace it as well as the drive belt however, when I went to put the belt on there was a lot of slack and no way to tighten it as there was no belt tensioner, so I was stumped. Either the guy ordered the wrong belt or when my belt broke it snatched the tensioner off as well....not likely but I had no clue. The tensioner was not in the pan and where it should be bolted was caked with road debris and what not. After I read this post a few times I realized that on some models they put a AC belt tensioner and on some models they didn't, not sure of which ones but I am absolutely certain that I didn't drop a belt tensioner when the belt broke. I'll do so more digging because apparently this belt is not the standard one that the parts stores see when they do there search, only the ac belt that goes along with the belt tensioner comes up. I'll be back.
You do realize this thread is from 2010 right?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie2008 View Post
You do realize this thread is from 2010 right?
Ah yeah.......however my AC belt did not break in 2010, just the last week, when I did a search this was the only thread that I came across and it was inconclusive. After doing some research and found out that both members are correct, BMW outfitted some cars with belt tensioners for the AC belt and others with no belt tensioner. However when you order a belt the only one that comes up is for the setup with the belt tensioner. Nevertheless after half a day of working I have replaced my AC belt for the non AC belt tensioner setup.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Good Deal!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsMeow View Post
Ah yeah.......however my AC belt did not break in 2010, just the last week, when I did a search this was the only thread that I came across and it was inconclusive. After doing some research and found out that both members are correct, BMW outfitted some cars with belt tensioners for the AC belt and others with no belt tensioner. However when you order a belt the only one that comes up is for the setup with the belt tensioner. Nevertheless after half a day of working I have replaced my AC belt for the non AC belt tensioner setup.
did you replace the non tensioner belt without the tool? if so how did you do it. did you loosen the compressor?
Old 03-08-2014, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 745il
yes, how is this done, have the same issue getting it back on.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Bobby Bouchet

Send a message via Skype™ to BobbyBucher
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Erniejazz,

Did you get yours replaced? I have been trying all day to get mine on after doing a full cooling system replacement and just can't get it to go on. Please let me know how you did it.
I have a 2005 545i without the tensioner on the AC belt.
Thanks
Bobby
Old 05-12-2014, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 745il
Bobby you need to buy the tool. Do not order on ebay! Get someone on the phone and make sure they know what the tool is. $50
Old 05-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Bobby Bouchet

Send a message via Skype™ to BobbyBucher
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Thanks, I will work on that tomorrow and I appreciate the reply!!