Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: Toyota
Questions on the 128

1. Ground clearance

The BMW website doesn't say, tried some searches and no luck. Current car has gc of 140 mm which is adequate. Kind of concerned the BMW is I'm guessing 124mm which could be problem plowing through snow.

2. Manufacturing plant

My information indicates the 128 is ONLY manufactured in Germany, correct?

3. Stock Stereo

Is it decent or is the Alpine really special?
Ads by Google
Old 07-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '10 335i M-Sport
1. No Clue
2. Correct sir or madam
3. Its a nice stero but the Prem is "suppose" to be off the hook....go to the stealership and try it out
Old 07-09-2009, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
I looked at the manual but it does not give ground clearance. The 1 series has both traction control and stability control, however, which help a lot with driving when the roads are slick. DSC essentially does not allow wheels to spin, DTC will allow a little spinning.

The plant is in Zieplig or something like that in Germany. Porsche has a plant in the same town. The plant makes 1s and some 3s.

The U. S. base sterio has 10 speakers. Two are subwoofers under the front seats that are 217mm diameter. There are 4 100mm mid rantes and 4 26mm tweeters. Each of the smaller speakers is driven by a 25W amp. The sub woofers are driven by a 40W amp (each). I did not listen to it on test drives (wanted to check out the car, not the sterio) and have not taken delivery yet. By the specs and others reports, I think it will be fine for me.

The extra cost system has the same number of speakers in the same locations and the speakers are the same size. The amp is bigger, however, and the speakers may also be upgraded. The subs get 70W apiece and the other drivers get 40W apiece with the premium system.

Jim

Last edited by JimD1; 07-09-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 1 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD1 View Post
The U. S. base sterio has 10 speakers. Two are subwoofers under the front seats that are 217mm diameter. There are 4 100mm mid rantes and 4 26mm tweeters. Each of the smaller speakers is driven by a 25W amp. The sub woofers are driven by a 40W amp (each).
Jim
Um....seriouosly??

I just bought a 128i (2011, base model), and my salesman told me the same thing - 10 speakers - but I simply don't believe it.

WHERE???

I can only see 4: 1 mid-range in each front door, and 2 on the rear shelf. I can feel the subs beneath the seat(s), and I'm thinking there are only 6 speakers total. No tweeters opposite the mirrors, like most cars have.

My Civic had a nicer sound system
Old 09-20-2010, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5d, 2009 128 Conv.
BMW in 2009 got really cheap here in the States. On several models the base stereo system were reduced to 4 4" single cone speakers and two sub-woofers under the seat. The subs also downsized from 8" to 6". Because several of us slammed BMW in our JD Powers initial car review and constantly bitched to BMWNA about them going cheap they have made the 10 speaker Hifi system the base system again. I was lucky my 2009 1 series still was made with the 10 speaker system but my wife's 2010 X5 has the pathetic 6 speaker system. For those of you who have the 6 speaker system there is retrofit developed for the E90 that should work in the 1. You may need to have the car re-programed to remove the DSP BMW has added to compensate for the poor speaker system.

2010 X5d Vermillion Red, Sand Beige Nevada, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather, 3rd Row Seat, Tech Pkg, Trailer Hitch, Ipod
2009 128i Crimson Red, Boston Terra Leather, Premium Pkg, Nav, Heated Seats, Ipod
2008 X5 3.0si (Traded In)
2005 X5 3.0 (Traded In)
2003 325i (Sold)