Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 09-29-2010, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 530I
Cooling issues

here we are agin with cooling issues ,

I have a E34 with the M60 engine (self bleeding type), I recently replaced the thermostat and coolant and the radiator apears to be new, I went to the car wash today to give her a bath, drove about 10 miles , pulled up to a light, and noticed steam coming out from the botom of the car, thought it may just be water from the car wash burning off , i kept eye on temp, never got hot, but when I got home and opened the hood i noticed the coolant steaming out of what looks to be like the over flow hose/valve on the firewall on driver side, felt the hoses and noticed that there was no pressure on them like usual after stoping, my first thought is water pump failure? any other suggestions? water pump? coolant temp sensor?
Ads by Google
Old 09-29-2010, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 530I
just got out to the garage to check it out, found a busted plastic fitting with a short hose that looks to be supply to the heater water valve, i found the partd mber for the water valve but can not find the part right below it in any diagrams. does anyone know what this small canister is or the part number, do you think there is another under lying issues that may have caused pressure to build and bust this fitting?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
The fitting/hose is probably just really old. Its very unlikely that there was a pressure surge or something like that which caused this problem, if that's what you were wondering.

Did you do any work recently on the engine that caused you to move this hose around? It might have caused this problem when the old hose was flexed. Something similar happened to my car 3 days ago.

In changing the valve, you may have to remove enough items to logically be able to change the water pump, thermostat, and any other long-term wear and tear items. You clearly don't know when your water pump was changed which is why you're wondering if it could be the problem. So, my suggestion is to carefully inspect all the coolant hoses and fittings, research your car on other forums as well and identify the common cooling system faults and check that, and, if its not too expensive, change the hoses, fittings, water pump, thermostat, whatever. Peace of mind is well worth the expenditure. Note the date of the change for future references. Good luck and let us know how it goes.