Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x5
iPod necessary?

With the addition of hard drives in our cars now is the iPod integration option a waste of money? Or is the ease of navigating between songs and albums just worth the price?
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2010, 08:01 AM
550 XI M Sport F10

Mein Auto: 550 xi Msport
friends who have songs can listen on your car or download their songs to your car
Old 10-01-2010, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 5.0
It depends on the size of your music collection. From the specs I've found the hard drive is about 8Gb, I have an 80Gb iPod that stays in my car.

Also music with DRM copy protection can not be played back.

The other thing I regularly do is connect my iPhone to the iPod connector in the car and use it to stream Pandora or Slacker radio. . . now with the new combox funcitonality this may no longer be necessary.

So for me it's worth the money.

Last edited by jeffhoff; 10-01-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: corrected hard drive capacity
Old 10-01-2010, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 528xi
If you listen to your iPod a lot, you should get the integration.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:43 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Song navigation possible with hard drive

FYI, if you import a "music collection" on the internal hard drive, the individual song titles are available on the nav screen and via the steering wheel/dash display. It was too late to add the iPod/USB feature when I ordered my car, so I've loaded my music library on the 8GB disk and can navigate through the songs, and set random playback if desired.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 10-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Goodchip

Mein Auto: 2011 535i, Space Grey
I need to spend some time reading my manual to figure this hard drive thing out...
Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2011 550i
First, from what I have read, encoding for the internal hard drive is at minimum rates and is not user adjustable. The sound quality of higher bit rate songs on an iPod should be considerably better. Second, if you have a large collection, 8GB is not sufficient. Third, if you like your playlists on the iPod, you will need to duplicate them in some way.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspider View Post
If you listen to your iPod a lot, you should get the integration.
I agree. I don't think any of the music you purchase on iTunes is importable onto the car's hard drive per the manual. I suppose if you have imported a ton of music from personal CDs into iTunes, you could move that unprotected music to a flash drive and then import it in the car, but if you also buy a lot of music (DRM protected stuff) and place it on your iPod, then I guess the adapter is more of a must if you want to listen to that music.

Also, if music is very important to a person, then I'd guess the hifi stereo system would be too, and the iPod adapter comes with the Premium package.

I like to keep all of my favorite playlists on my iPhone, turn on the Bluetooth, plug my iPhone in with the adapter, and then I get all of my favorite music through the car, my iPhone stays charged for when I leave the car, and if someone calls me, I pick up the call through the car.

Last edited by Bunky; 10-03-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 5 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by wessew View Post
First, from what I have read, encoding for the internal hard drive is at minimum rates and is not user adjustable.
I don't think the files are re-encoded; it is just a straight copy.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
FYI, if you import a "music collection" on the internal hard drive, the individual song titles are available on the nav screen and via the steering wheel/dash display. It was too late to add the iPod/USB feature when I ordered my car, so I've loaded my music library on the 8GB disk and can navigate through the songs, and set random playback if desired.
With the iPod you can also individual titles on the center screen when you turn the right scroll wheel. You can set random playback using the iPod.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired