Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 09-21-2010, 07:01 PM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
Dunno if these are your style but check 'em out. the E60s have the same exact wheel specs as E34s

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=485994

Better than those godawful 20s at least.
And if its too far away from you, I can middleman it...

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Old 10-01-2010, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 525Ii
Hey bud. The shimmy could be coming from the wheels or tires. Have you checked their balance lately? You could have thrown a weight. Start there.
If they are balanced then:
Mine did the exact same thing. I replaced both the upper and lower control arms(trust arm) on both sides, sway bar links, tie rods and the problem mellowed. But wasn't fix! I then did a complete brake job including new slotted rotors and Bavauto Rigid Red pads, and SS brake lines. Problem solved! The problem was in my rotors. But I am happy that I did the suspension to because it rides like a new car again.

I use to have 17's(crappy ride and heavier) on it but now I run stock rims(15's) with 225's up front and 235's in the rear. And it's WAAAY smooth and handles great.

One of the things one must consider when going up in rim size is that larger rims WILL weigh more, which will effect performance. This is unless you are willing fork over lots of $$$$. It's all a matter of taste though, performance is expensive and you can always buy "bling" for cheap if your will to sacrifice performance. Mixing both performance with looks is obviously the most expensive though.

Also remember that when you go up in wheel size, more of the brakes are visible! Make sure they look sick too! I would take the $500 and find someone who is parting out a 540 or M5 and buy the brakes off that and rebuild um. Just my opinion though.

Good luck and welcome!