Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Suede Master

Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
European Headlight Switch Installation (Rear Foglights)

135i cars in Europe come equipped with Rear Foglights. I assume BMW NA thinks American's don't know the proper time to use Rear Foglights so this feature is not on the US spec cars. Since the Rear Foglights work off of the Adaptive Brake Lights, the bulbs are already in place. In order to activate the Rear Foglights on the 135i, you need to replace the headlight switch with the European version. I offer this item for $65.00 plus shipping.

Installation
Installation requires a T-20 Torx driver.

To begin installation, locate and remove the 2 T-20 Torx screws at the bottom of the headlight switch panel.

Remove the driver side vent cover by pulling up.

Once the vent cover is removed, you will find 2 more T-20 Torx screws. Remove them.

With the screws removed, you can lower the panel. Pull the leading edge of the side panel away from the dash. There are 2 clips that will free themselves. You do not need to remove the panel entirely, just enough to un-dock these clips.

The Headlight Switch panel will lower down. You only need to lower it, you do not need to remove it.

With the screws removed, you can lower the panel. Pull the leading edge of the side panel away from the dash. There are 2 clips that will free themselves. You do not need to remove the panel entirely, just enough to un-dock these clips.

With the panel lowered enough to see the back of the switch, you will see the electrical connector. The connector has a gray lock that when you move it toward the passenger side of the car, will unlock the connector. Unlock the connector and disconnect the wiring harness.

With the harness unconnected, you can remove the switch from the panel. There are 4 clips that hold the switch in place. You will need to press in the clips and remove the switch. With the switch removed, install the new switch into the panel. Make sure all 4 clips fully dock. Listen for the clip sounds and push on the switch from the front to make sure they are docked.

With the switch installed, reconnect the wiring harness and lock it in place. Raise the front of the panel up and install the 2 T-20 screws at the base of the vent. Install the side panel making sure the 2 clips engage. Re-install the vent trim panel and re-install the 2 T-20 screws at the bottom of the headlight trim panel.

You are done. when the Rear Foglights are active, you will get a rear foglight indicator in the instrument cluster.

Tail lights on

Rear Foglights on

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 328i
Thank you. That's great.

And probably also needed for someone who intends to import a US-BMW into Europe. I guess ...
Old 09-24-2010, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3
Stupid American question...

When do you use rear fog lights?
Old 09-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
It turns out (as I suspected), that the 1er uses the same headlamp switch as the 3er. The part numbers will vary depending on what options are equipped on the vehicle, but generally it will be the same part. Good to hear it is also simple plug-and-play.

Vehicles with front foglights, xenons, and rain sensor: 61 31 6 932 796
Vehicles with front foglights, halogen, and rain sensor: 61 31 6 932 792
(All US-spec 135i) Vehicles w/o front foglights, with xenons and rain sensor: 61 31 6 932 797

Rear foglights are used in extremely low-visibility situations on the road so that drivers behind you can see the vehicle. They are useful in dense fog, or heavy rain/snow where visibility is reduced below 50m. If one has ever driven through mountain fog, or a heavy rainstorm, you know that it can be impossible to discern the regular taillights of cars in front.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 09-24-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Rear foglights are used in extremely low-visibility situations on the road so that drivers behind you can see the vehicle. They are useful in dense fog, or heavy rain/snow where visibility is reduced below 50m. If one has ever driven through mountain fog, or a heavy rainstorm, you know that it can be impossible to discern the regular taillights of cars in front.
Thank you. I appreciate the info.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i Convertible
I just installed one of these today. Pretty easy install. Neat little feature.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 M6 vert
Thankfully it doesnt come stock or there would be people using the rear fogs all the time. It would be annoying to drive behind one.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 128i
I have a 128i but mine already come with that switch because i have front foglights what can i do in that situation
Old 10-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 ML63 AMG, 2011 750Li
To the OP, is this available for the 7 series F01/F02?

2011 BMW 750Li Carbon Blk Metallic, Oyster/Blk Nappa Leather, Ash Grain Trim, (Camera, Cold Weather, Driver Assist, Luxury Seats, M Sport w/20" Wheels, Premium Sound, Rear Entertainment Pkgs), Integral Active Steering, Instrument Panel w/ Leather, Ceramic Controls, Head-up Display, Smartphone Integration, Combox

2004 BMW 745Li Titanium Silver, Black Leather

Former: 2008 BMW 750Li, 2001 Audi A6 2.7T, 1998 Ford Expedition, 1993 Lexus ES300