Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 08-05-2010, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 540i automatic
1995 BMW 540i ATF Change--First Hand Experiences Needed...

I would be thrilled to hear from members who have had FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE, HANDS-ON, changing the ATF in these vehicles ONLY or in this exact transmission ONLY. Experiences with other models and other transmissions is trying to compare apples to oranges as I'm sure some members will agree.

Mine has 122K original miles, and a sample of the fluid taken is vey, very dark brown and I want to change the fluid myself and I will not take it to BMW as I am a confirmed DIY.

I have searched ALL of the forums available and could not find specific info on this year and model with the so-called black-label transmission.

Here's an opportunity to generate a thread of the utmost value to 1995 540i automatic owners.

Thanks in advance !
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2010, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: E39 530i
May I ask how you got a sample of the tranny fluid of your car?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:59 PM

According to the Bentley manual, one checks the fluid level by having the fluid at just warmed up temperature, engine running in neutral, then cracking the fill plug (presumably the plug at the top of the pan, passenger side, near the front of the pan. If the fluid runs out, then it is full, which is where and when the sample was taken.

It smelled a lot like Mercon V, but since I have never smelled the Shell LA factory fill fluid, who knows if the Shell LA is actually a Mercon V type fluid.

By the way, the Bentley manual does not show a picture or a diagram of this particular black-label transmission, so I am only assuming that the plug on the side is the fill plug, and the plug on the bottom of the pan is the drain plug.

Are you familiar with this exact transmission?
Old 10-03-2010, 12:26 PM

1995 BMW 540i ZF 5HP-30 Model Number 1055 BLACK LABEL ATF and filter change DIY--successfully accomplished by this unyielding DIYer who did not wimp out and take it to BMW, unlike almost all so-called BMW DIYers are fond to do.