Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 128i
Experience with the Conv Windscreen on 1 series

I know that on the 3 series convertible if you don't use the windscreen while driving on the highway/freeway you can really get blown around. Based on real-world experiance in a 1 series convertable, does the windscreen really help at high speeds?
Ads by Google
Old 08-07-2010, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5d, 2009 128 Conv.
I just purchased the wind screen about a month ago. Getting blown around was never a big deal for me but I have short hair and usually I am wearing a ball cap. My wife with shoulder length brown hair never wanted to ride with the top down because the hair would always blow back in her face. Since adding the wind screen problem solved. Now the only thing I am waiting for is the cooler fall evenings.

2010 X5d Vermillion Red, Sand Beige Nevada, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather, 3rd Row Seat, Tech Pkg, Trailer Hitch, Ipod
2009 128i Crimson Red, Boston Terra Leather, Premium Pkg, Nav, Heated Seats, Ipod
2008 X5 3.0si (Traded In)
2005 X5 3.0 (Traded In)
2003 325i (Sold)
Old 08-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
I've had the wind screen around 9 months. It makes more difference in reducing turbulence than rolling the windows up. Doing both makes the air relatively still. On the highway, you need both to be able to hear the radio very well. Even with both the big trucks make it noisy, otherwise it is nice. I've driven up to 90mph or a bit more and the benefit is probably bigger as you go up in speed.

With the windscreen, I drove topless on sunny days with air temperature in the upper 30s. It was pleasant. The car blows warm air out the vents to heat your hands on the wheel and your face.

This time of year, the air is too still given the high temperatures. But it flips down easily - you can do it while driving.

The price is high but it works well. Just don't lean back REALLY far or you can damage it. I think it's a must have for the vert. It lets you put the top down more and that was the reason to get a vert, right?

Jim

Last edited by JimD1; 09-18-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD1 View Post
It lets you put the top down more and that was the reason to get a vert, right?

Jim
Absolutely! Thanks for the comments. In another forum I saw a few posts where that felt no need for the windscreen in a 1 series. I'm off to get one.

LS

Last edited by lsteiner; 08-07-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: nothing yet
Reading this post makes me realize that I didn't see it as an option when I ordered the car... is it a dealer-installed type of deal? Would love to have it when I do ED, which will be late October. Any thoughts on how to get one in Munich?
Old 08-12-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschryver View Post
Reading this post makes me realize that I didn't see it as an option when I ordered the car... is it a dealer-installed type of deal? Would love to have it when I do ED, which will be late October. Any thoughts on how to get one in Munich?
Your dealer's parts department should have them in stock. If not they can order one for you.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:05 PM

The trick may be in getting it to Munich. The screen is not heavy but it is a little bulky. It comes with a nice nylon case. I'd need to measure to give you good measurements but it is nearly as long and wide as a small suitcase but only about 4 inches thick. Carrying it yourself to Munich could be done but it would take up a lot of room in a bag.

If you could have it delivered to Munich, then do you carry it home? Leaving a ~$400 accessory in the car doesn't seem like a robust answer.

If you can make space to carry it both directions yourself then you might want to search for a good price and get it. I got the lowest price on eBay motors. I bought from a BMW dealership in another part of the country.

Jim
Old 08-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
There are aftermarket companies that make a much better and cheaper wind screen:

http://www.dynamicautoconcepts.com/
Old 08-14-2010, 05:13 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestCS View Post
There are aftermarket companies that make a much better and cheaper wind screen:

http://www.dynamicautoconcepts.com/
Good ad however it does not look like they make one for BMW or the 1 series, or it is not referenced on their website.

LS
Old 08-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
Talk to them. I understand they'll make them for any car if they feel there is a market.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsteiner View Post
I know that on the 3 series convertible if you don't use the windscreen while driving on the highway/freeway you can really get blown around. Based on real-world experiance in a 1 series convertable, does the windscreen really help at high speeds?
Yes, so worth it. I personally would go for a Windblox windscreen. They make a windscreen that fits and I am pretty sure mine came with a lifetime warranty. I own a 125i and it fits/was a great deal. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2010, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschryver View Post
You really DON'T want to take that with you for ED. I just got back from ED. A lot of the cars being delivered by BMW at BMW Welt had the wind blocker installed already, but those must have been orders from other countries where it's a factory option. It's not offered as a factory option in the US - you have to buy it as an accessory.

For the few days you'll be driving in Germany, it's just not worth carrying there, and carrying back. It's big and bulky. And you can NOT leave it in the car to be shipped back. BMW stresses that anything left in the car (other than what's ordered with the car), or any mods made to the car, will be removed and disposed of. In fact, the emergency triangle and emergency medical kit in the trunk (required by German law) both have to be removed before the car ships, or they'll be tossed, cause they're not authorized for import to the US.

I got a great deal on the official BMW wind blocker from a guy in Germany after I returned (thru ebay). It was the wind blocker without the design on it. (I've never seen the one with the design in person, but from pics, it doesn't look to be something I'd want.) Even with shipping, it was substantially cheaper than you can get it anywhere in the US. It was new, and he shipped very quickly. The guy seems to stock them for several BMW models. If you pm me, I'll send you his info.

You will LOVE ED. It's an amazing experience. I picked up my car Aug. 1, drove it around Germany for 10 days, and dropped it at the port in Bremerhaven ("Bimmer Heaven"). It just arrived in NY yesterday, and I'm hoping to have it in the next few weeks.

BTW (boy, am I rambling here) - did you know you can track the car thru every step of production by phone? Very cool.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:40 PM

I have not done ED but I can believe carrying an extra bag to Europe and back would be a hassle. It is light but it is not small. I had an experience last weekend that may help explain the value of the windscreen.

I took a lady to dinner. She had been in my 128i vert before but it was lunch time on a hot day so even though I put the top down for a bit she was thinking of how hot she was so it did not make much of an impression - at least in any positive sense. Last weekend I waited until after dinner when it was in the mid 70s and she commented something like "this is nice". Then she asked me about the windscreen. She brought a rubber band for her hair thinking it would be blown all over and it wasn't so she was trying to figure out why. I put the windscreen down for a couple minutes and as soon as I got up around 35-40 mph, her hair was moving and she was complaining. Windscreen went back up (easy to do even while you are driving) and she was fine again.

I said all this to say that if you will have a female passenger with anything but really short hair, you may not be able to put the top down without the windscreen. Maybe it would be OK if she put it in a ponytail or used a ballcap or something. I'd rather try and figure out how I could get the windscreen over there than go without putting the top down while on ED. On the other hand, if everybody has really short hair, you may be fine without it. If it is hot, I prefer the extra airflow with the windscreen down. My hair gets blown around but when that is much of a deal it is time for a haircut anyway.

Jim
Old 09-06-2010, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
I second that. That's also one of the reasons I like the windblox windscreen I got. It comes on and off so easy. As a woman, I pretty much prefer the windscreen all the time. Even if it's hot, I would rather my hair be tidy when I step out of the car. We do appreciate the courtesy of a wind-free ride.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E88 135 6 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssarah View Post
Yes, so worth it. I personally would go for a Windblox windscreen. They make a windscreen that fits and I am pretty sure mine came with a lifetime warranty. I own a 125i and it fits/was a great deal. Good luck!
You own a what??

I just went on the website and they don't even make one for the 1 series so what are you in fact talking about.

2008-2010: '08 335i E93//6 Speed//Monaco//Saddle Brown//Dark Burl//Sports//Cold//CA//Sat Radio//ED

2005-2008: '05 330 E46cic//6 Speed//Jet Black//Black//Sports//Nav//Cold
Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 PM

Good information. I was surprised that the 128 is a lot "windy-er" than my previous ride, a '08 Miata. The factory screen is pretty pricey though- glad I'm follicle impaired.

"Year one of the one"
Old 09-28-2010, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookjohnson View Post
You own a what??

I just went on the website and they don't even make one for the 1 series so what are you in fact talking about.
Try a Euro website as the 125i is available there. But ssarah probably just hit the "5" instead of the "8" on her numeric keypad - pretty easy to do, IMHO.

Tom
Old 09-28-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Try a Euro website as the 125i is available there. But ssarah probably just hit the "5" instead of the "8" on her numeric keypad - pretty easy to do, IMHO.

Tom
...or maybe her keyboard's messed up hence the double "s."
I kid, i kid.
But regardless of whether she has a 125 or 8, I still have no idea what she's talking about as windblox doesn't make a screen for the any 1 (25 or 28).

And anyway, she's from Indianapolis and drives a Z4...something ain't right.

2008-2010: '08 335i E93//6 Speed//Monaco//Saddle Brown//Dark Burl//Sports//Cold//CA//Sat Radio//ED

Last edited by mookjohnson; 09-28-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:28 PM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sea...rchid=13250368

And check this out, out of 24 posts, 20 are promoting this ugly plexiglass "windblox" thing. I call fraud, Tom, IMHO.

Last edited by mookjohnson; 09-29-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i Convertible
That is one butt-ugly windscreen. I'd be embarrassed to be seen riding around with that. And it can't be good for aerodynamics to have a big block of plastic sitting up like that. The OEM screen is mesh.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD1 View Post

The price is high but it works well. Just don't lean back REALLY far or you can damage it. I think it's a must have for the vert. It lets you put the top down more and that was the reason to get a vert, right?

Jim
Very good advice. Link to pictures of a broken windscreen.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ghlight=norm37