Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
Funny, I know at least 2 more people that have had negative experience with the Akebono's.

Exactly.
Almost every person commenting positive about the Akebono's live in California, or the south.
LOL!
Maybe we should start a new trend:
Summer brakes and winter brakes (like the tires?)
This way you can check twice a year your brakes. Very thoroughly.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 09-14-2010, 06:24 AM
Been there done that...

Send a message via ICQ to Orxan4ik Send a message via AIM to Orxan4ik Send a message via MSN to Orxan4ik Send a message via Yahoo to Orxan4ik Send a message via Skype™ to Orxan4ik
Mein Auto: '97 540iA
hottest it gets here during winter is 30-32F, thats like HOT. Low dust ceramics brake JUST fine, havent rear ended nobody in the past 3 years...

oh and btw, to those that speak of the highway and no brakes... you do realize that stopping from 70 warms up your brakes rather quicker than stopping from 30, right?

In other words, no way in hell can you use your brakes to sop from 70 mph and not have them warm up
Old 09-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Been there done that...

Send a message via ICQ to Orxan4ik Send a message via AIM to Orxan4ik Send a message via MSN to Orxan4ik Send a message via Yahoo to Orxan4ik Send a message via Skype™ to Orxan4ik
hottest it gets here during winter is 30-32F, thats like HOT. Akebonos brake just fine.

oh and btw, to those that speak of the highway and no brakes... you do realize that stopping from 70 warms up your brakes rather quicker than stopping from 30, right?

In other words, no way in hell can you use your brakes to stop from 70 mph and not have them warm up
Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 AM
Bimmerholic

Mein Auto: 2001 530 SP/PP/CWP/Slush
Leaning toward Hawk HPS pads now. Will decide by end of day, I hope.

2001 530 Steel Blue Metallic, purchased Dec 03
SP/PP/CWP/Slushbox (I know I know)

OEM M5 bumper, 40% Huper Optik ceramic tint, Dice Silverline Pro iPod adapter, 540SP radial spokes, Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads
"Mods": driveshaft, cooling system, Vanos, CCV, PSR, VCG, FSU, spark plugs, buncha belts-n-hoses, & other things I'd just as soon forget

BMW CCA member for 12 years
Old 09-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Been there done that...

Ceramic pads will have mushier initial bite no matter which brand you go with, it's the nature of the material. Just like you can't go low w/o comprising the ride quality, you can't have a pad that doesn't dust and bites when cold (:
Old 09-14-2010, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orxan4ik View Post
hottest it gets here during winter is 30-32F, thats like HOT. Akebonos brake just fine.

In other words, no way in hell can you use your brakes to stop from 70 mph and not have them warm up
You are missing the point.
It's the initial cold bite that is important.
Yes, you are right, the pad will heat up going from 70 to 0, but, again, the initial cold bite might not be there.

When you hit the brakes, you generally want the car to stop immediately, not sort-of and gradually, or eventually whenever the pads heat up...
Old 09-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Been there done that...

I like how you speak of ceramic pads without ever having those on your car lol define stop right away? Do you like brake to the floor right before the intersection ? Bc if you are, these will haul you down. And if you're not, well what's the problem then with gradual braking (:
Old 09-14-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I like how you speak of ceramic pads without ever having those on your car lol define stop right away? Do you like brake to the floor right before the intersection ? Bc if you are, these will haul you down. And if you're not, well what's the problem then with gradual braking (:
LOL!
I am merely talking about brake bite, regardless if the pad is ceramic or not.

Plus, some pads can be a composite pad, with a small amount of ceramic in them, and other pads can be made of all ceramic.

I like to wait to brake until I almost hit the car in-front of me....
LOL!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:32 AM

Orxan, if you like your brakes that is OK. Nobody told you to change them.
I was happy this summer with no brake dust. However, my combo did not stop when I wanted to. It happened once. At 50 Km/hr (31 mph) you travel roughly 14 m/sec. At 100 Km/hr (60 mph) it's 28 m/sec. That second before the pads warm up is what turned my handknuckles white on my steering wheel. It's to many meters to be taken by surprise. For me.
Peace
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Old 09-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Been there done that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Orxan, if you like your brakes that is OK. Nobody told you to change them.
I was happy this summer with no brake dust. However, my combo did not stop when I wanted to. It happened once. At 50 Km/hr (31 mph) you travel roughly 14 m/sec. At 100 Km/hr (60 mph) it's 28 m/sec. That second before the pads warm up is what turned my handknuckles white on my steering wheel. It's to many meters to be taken by surprise. For me.
Peace
hey np man, this is after all a review so i figured id provide my input too so this thread isnt biased and fyi i did swap the fronts for jurids, rears are still ceramic (axiss deluxe). try that first, unless u like washing brake dust off of 4 wheels at a time. u ll get ur pedal feel back, while maintaining clean rear wheels (:
Old 09-14-2010, 02:50 PM

Nah, I'll go all 4 corners.
I wish I live somwhere south. I would not dismantle the Akebonos. I did not have to clean my rims since May, which is insane!!! I know I'll be in for the weekly though.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Nah, I'll go all 4 corners.
I wish I live somwhere south. I would not dismantle the Akebonos. I did not have to clean my rims since May, which is insane!!! I know I'll be in for the weekly though.

Any update on how the Jurids are working for you?
Old 10-02-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Any update on how the Jurids are working for you?
Had tons of honey-do lists plus revamp my daughter's room.
The Jurids are in my garage together with all the cooling components, pullies, belt(s), the NPG+. I wish I had more time on my hand, but someone has to bring the dough home.
Any time now
Old 10-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
hottest it gets here during winter is 30-32F, thats like HOT
Interesting.

Coldest it gets here during winter is about 30F to 32F, and that's like COLD! Brrrrrrrr.

Luckily it only lasts for about ten minutes, usually in the very early morning, before the sun comes up, forming a very thin layer of frost on the windshield. Takes a full 15 to 30 seconds to melt it off the glass once you start the car.

On the brakes, I was fine with Jurid/Textar & Brembo ... and I'm fine with PBR Advanced Deluxe/Textar on Brembo ... but you guys are scaring me 'cuz my next brake job was gonna be Akebono Euro's ... so make up your mind will ya!

Old 10-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

See how much pad material I still have on my Ache-A-Bone-O (TM all rights reserved - MatWiz. LOL). I had to take them the hell out of my car at their half life time and put something else instead.

The point is that it doesn't even matter WHY I took them off. The point is that they were THAT BAD that I HAD to remove them.

Reason for removing them:
1. Did not work well when not hot.
2. Pad material buildup or the rotors, causing vibrations. Rebedding did not work. Bedding did not work because the Ache-A-Bone-O (I should work for Fox News) don't have good friction being ceramic. Not enough friction to remove the pad deposit from the rotors. I have tried bedding many times, it just made it a little better for awhile and then it was back to very bad. And before anybody thinks that I don't know how to bed my brakes, let me mention that at the end, David Zeckhausen himself tried to bed my brakes to no avail. (That was a good lesson of "how to bed your brakes", BTW... ). So in the process of not being good pads, they also ruined my rotors....

mw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandwich - Beef Burito 006.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	248830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandwich - Beef Burito 007.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	248831  

Last edited by MatWiz; 10-03-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 00 540i/6
Like most ceramics, Akebonos have a higher heat index than an organic pad. They do work better when warm, but stop just fine when cold, and they don't fade like an organic pad. Akebonos continue to be one, if not the, biggest sellers. I'd say about 90% of the pads we sell are Akebonos. Most people love them so much they ask us to source them for their other vehicles.

You can't get something for nothing. Akebonos are a zero dust, higher temp pad. They are going to have a little less cold temp bite. It's the opposite for OEM pads. They are dusty, bite good when cold, but won't bite when hot and fade like crazy.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:59 PM

The reviews on Tire Rack are a little weird IMO about the Akebono's.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...o+Ceramic+Pads

Almost all BMW owners on the reviews claim less than OEM stopping, or really hated the Akebono pads...

I thought the Hawk HPS might be a good alternative, however, after some research, they seem to me not much better than the Axxis Deluxe pads, which are junk IMO.
I will have to still do some more research on the HPS pads...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1261321

Last edited by Jason5driver; 10-03-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Past Sponsor

Quote:
The reviews on Tire Rack are a little weird IMO about the Akebono's.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...o+Ceramic+Pads

Almost all BMW owners on the reviews claim less than OEM stopping, or really hated the Akebono pads...

I thought the Hawk HPS might be a good alternative, however, after some research, they seem to me not much better than the Axxis Deluxe pads, which are junk IMO.
I will have to still do some more research on the HPS pads...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1261321

I noticed the Akebono's had a huge amount of positive reviews. It doesn't matter what you look at, there will always be someone who has a negative opinion of a product. The majority of the opinions are positive with a few negatives, even though several of those reported higher marks after giving them a chance.

??? You're judging the HPS's after one thread? You kill me sometimes Jason. There could be 1,000 positive threads about something, but you'll make a decision about one negative one. You choose the most random threads to let form your opinion. Have you had the Axxis Deluxe? Is that how you came to the opinion they are junk?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared@EACTuning View Post
I noticed the Akebono's had a huge amount of positive reviews. It doesn't matter what you look at, there will always be someone who has a negative opinion of a product. The majority of the opinions are positive with a few negatives, even though several of those reported higher marks after giving them a chance.

??? You're judging the HPS's after one thread? You kill me sometimes Jason. There could be 1,000 positive threads about something, but you'll make a decision about one negative one. You choose the most random threads to let form your opinion. Have you had the Axxis Deluxe? Is that how you came to the opinion they are junk?
You are right.
There are several positive reviews.
I will still try them regardless of the negative reviews.
My car is different that other people's cars, and I drive different than most... LOL!

The Deluxes are noted consistently to be not very good.
Again, I still would need to run them, but, I will not bother with these.
Other people might like them for the type and style of driving they do.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=674858

I am not judging the HPS pads until I run them on my car.

Also, it is hard to really consider the reviews on Tire Rack as truth.

Last edited by Jason5driver; 10-03-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Past Sponsor

Quote:
You are right.
There are several positive reviews.
I will still try them regardless of the negative reviews.
My car is different that other people's cars, and I drive different than most... LOL!

The Deluxes are noted consistently to be not very good.
Again, I still would need to run them, but, I will not bother with these.
Other people might like them for the type and style of driving they do.

All I'm saying is that you can find negative reviews for any product you want to. Whether you're shopping for a TV, a car, a mower, you have to weigh everything.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Past Sponsor

Quote:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=674858

That's a crazy thread. Everyone there loves the Akebonos and HPSs.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
All I'm saying is that you can find negative reviews for any product you want to. Whether you're shopping for a TV, a car, a mower, you have to weigh everything.
Yep!

Petes540i6 loves them.
CAbimmer loves them...
Etc...
Old 10-03-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
That's a crazy thread. Everyone there loves the Akebonos and HPSs.
Yep, I liked it.
The 3 series guys seem to consecutively like the Akebono's.
That is why I thought the Tire Rack reviews were weird.
Larger sedans seem to have more negative response from what I read...
Not that it means anything...
LOL!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=49882

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=64251

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...light=ultimate

Last edited by Jason5driver; 10-03-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
It's interesting ... well, cross that out. Sometimes I am baffled at how people can have such opposing opinion about brake pads on the same car. I am not saying one is right and the other is wrong. Each entitle to his taste in brakes. But how can some say the Ackebono is great, and the others say just how horrible they are. I still remember my morning routine with the Achebono. Drive out of my building garage. Drive to the end of the block where the first traffic stop is, while stopping and going 2 -3 times to warm up my brakes. Stop and the first light. Start driving to the next block, doing 2-3 hard brakes, and the brakes are ready.

As for the Deluxe Plus, they are the best pads I have ever had. They replaced the Acks, and I also had Jurid and Pagid previously. ( I have my car for 140,000 miles. I had a few brake changes...). LESS dust than the Acks. The Acks gave some reddish / Orange dust (very little). The Deluxe give some gray dust (again very little), but it is not noticeable because it matches the silver paint on the rims. With the Acks, I had to clean my rims once a month or two. With the Deluxe, I go half a year without cleaning the rims, and they still don't look dusty. So they are better then the Ackebono when it comes to dust. Not even a question about that.

But I hear that they are no longer can be found, right? So who cares.

mw
Old 10-03-2010, 09:04 PM

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...9&subcat_id=13

http://www.importrp.com/home.php?cat...5f8b6b14ed6722