Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Yeaaah Baby!!!!

Mein Auto: PG X5 35i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimO'B View Post
I too am looking at X5 alternatives (I'm currently in an '08 535xi...need more room and I'm not sure about the new 5er). I like the cosmetics that come with the sport activity package, but I'm not about those 20" wheels / wide tires --- I think you can opt for the 19" wheels/tires that come on the Premium for $0 difference. I want to drive the 20" & 19" versions back to back to feel the difference. I'm in upstate NY so I know I'll have to go with dedicated snows if I opt for the 20"...probably OK with 19" all-seasons for winter. And I'm guessing those 20" perf tires are expensive and won't last very long.

I have the PG color on my current 5 which I like a lot, but I've seen the X5 in AW and it also looks great.

If anyone drives both the 20" and 19" wheel versions please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks
I've seen a few X5 sports with 19's. They look great too, I just prefer the bigger and wider stance. Also 19' rims reduces the top speed limit, and removes the arch extenders.

Im thinking of just ordering remanufactured wheels if the 20's can't cut it in the Downstate NY snow.
I would definitely try them both, It may be harder to find the 20 inch version at the dealer though.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Yeaaah Baby!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie njneer View Post
I changed my color to PG last week from Alpine White. I'm still pondering if it was a good decision on my part...hehehe. I guess I like both.
Silver and Vermilion red is nice on the LCI's too. They all have their +/-'s. The only color I am not to tough on is the Platinum Bronze.

So I think you will be ok either route you go.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
Nice car, bigrobb2
I just put in an order for 35D in Platinum Gray, Cinnamon Brown, Light poplar trim. I was torn between Dark Bamboo and Light Poplar, and decided on Light Poplar thinking that Light Poplar will give a bit more contrast and warmth along with Cinnamon Brown. I currently have Titanium Silver, Black, Aluminum and wanted some change.
The dealer didn't have any car with CB/LP combo and I have only seen Light Poplar on pictures of other model (I think 5 series). Has anyone seen Light Poplar with Cinnamon Brown in X5? Any opinion? I am a bit anxious ordering that trim without seeing in person
Old 07-14-2010, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrobb2 View Post
I've seen a few X5 sports with 19's. They look great too, I just prefer the bigger and wider stance. Also 19' rims reduces the top speed limit, and removes the arch extenders.

Im thinking of just ordering remanufactured wheels if the 20's can't cut it in the Downstate NY snow.
I would definitely try them both, It may be harder to find the 20 inch version at the dealer though.
No doubt those wider tires give it a distinct look (I have a similar set-up on my 535) --- they are summer-only perf tires, correct? If so they will be awful in cold winter temps and weather. Are the arch extenders you mention the black trim piece along the wheel arches (they extend out farther than those on the std X5')? Do you find the ride harsh with the 20's --- I myself like a firm ride, I'd be concerned about potholes, etc. with the 20's.
Thanks for your input.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Yeaaah Baby!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimO'B View Post
No doubt those wider tires give it a distinct look (I have a similar set-up on my 535) --- they are summer-only perf tires, correct? If so they will be awful in cold winter temps and weather. Are the arch extenders you mention the black trim piece along the wheel arches (they extend out farther than those on the std X5')? Do you find the ride harsh with the 20's --- I myself like a firm ride, I'd be concerned about potholes, etc. with the 20's.
Thanks for your input.
The black arches stick out more over the tires vs X5s with 19 inches and under. The ride is firm but not harsh. I've ridden on some really jacked up streets in Queens and so far not to bad. I had a 335i with with 18 inch sports and every time I hit a bump I could feel it in my bones.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGirl74 View Post
BigRobb.....just picked up my PG/CB 35d today and I'm in LOVE. I'm so glad you're happy with yours too....I'll be posting pics as soon as I can stop driving it.
BimmerGirl74, which wood trim do you have? Can you post some pictures if available? I am torn between Dark Bamboo and Light Poplar and wonder if you happen to have Light Poplar... Thanks.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:32 AM

I don't have many interior pics, but I can post some later. I have the dark Burl walnut, and I think it complements the CB well. If you're torn between the bamboo and poplar, I would definitely go with the bamboo. I don't think the light wood would go well with the CB. Just my opinion!!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGirl74 View Post
I don't have many interior pics, but I can post some later. I have the dark Burl walnut, and I think it complements the CB well. If you're torn between the bamboo and poplar, I would definitely go with the bamboo. I don't think the light wood would go well with the CB. Just my opinion!!
Thanks for your input. From your signature, it appears that you have the base audio system. How do you like it?

Last edited by 53K; 07-16-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53K View Post
Thanks for your input. From your signature, it appears that you have the base audio system. How do you like it?
I think it's just fine. I don't get to blast it much because I have a 5 yr old in the back seat, but when I do it sounds fine to me. I wouldn't spend the extra $$ personally.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335xi
Anyone have the sparkling Grey and sand combo/
Old 07-18-2010, 11:39 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Bigrobb -

I'm looking to order the same set-up as you...

Do you have the M package? I've only seen the Sporty Activity with the M package so I wasn't sure if the arch extenders are standard for the Sport Activity trim, or a feature of the M package.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Yeaaah Baby!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avee View Post
Bigrobb -

I'm looking to order the same set-up as you...

Do you have the M package? I've only seen the Sporty Activity with the M package so I wasn't sure if the arch extenders are standard for the Sport Activity trim, or a feature of the M package.
Just the sport activity. Any X5 with 20's gets the extenders. The M sport color matches them.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:57 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrobb2 View Post
Just the sport activity. Any X5 with 20's gets the extenders. The M sport color matches them.
Thank you!
Old 10-02-2010, 03:36 AM
Wilki

Mein Auto: 328x Coupe, X5 Sport
Big Rob, thanks for the awesome pics you posted! I've been searching for good pics showing the platinum gray. I recently ordered a 2011 X5 Sport in the same color. I opted for the black interior/bamboo trim, hi-fi sound, cold weather package, convienence package, tech package, running boards, and third seat. I was a little hesitant getting such a dark color, but I think it looks a lot nicer than space gray. How do you think it'll hold up as a dark color? I know most are a pain to upkeep. I just sold my 2009 Audi A5 (red) to buy the X5. Red was a little hard to keep up, but I bought an ocillating buffer with scratch remover and polish. Very easy to use and won't damage the paint. I'm sure it will come in handy when I get a few swirl marks. I thought about getting a lighter color, but I think I need something darker. My other car is a 2010 328i Xdrive, coupe, alpine white, w/ M sport package. I think it'll look good parked next the dark X5.

Last edited by Wilkiwan; 10-02-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x50i on Order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkiwan View Post
Big Rob, thanks for the awesome pics you posted! I've been searching for good pics showing the platinum gray. I recently ordered a 2011 X5 Sport in the same color. I opted for the black interior/bamboo trim, hi-fi sound, cold weather package, convienence package, tech package, running boards, and third seat. I was a little hesitant getting such a dark color, but I think it looks a lot nicer than space gray. How do you think it'll hold up as a dark color? I know most are a pain to upkeep. I just sold my 2009 Audi A5 (red) to buy the X5. Red was a little hard to keep up, but I bought an ocillating buffer with scratch remover and polish. Very easy to use and won't damage the paint. I'm sure it will come in handy when I get a few swirl marks. I thought about getting a lighter color, but I think I need something darker. My other car is a 2010 328i Xdrive, coupe, alpine white, w/ M sport package. I think it'll look good parked next the dark X5.
I'm getting the same color combos as you, as well as interior trim... did you happen to post pics anywhere?
Old 10-02-2010, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
Great pics, thanks for posting. I ordered mine in silver with the oyster interior. Was thinking cinnamon, but went with oyster, hope it was good choice. The cinnamon looks great in your pics.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Yeaaah Baby!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkiwan View Post
Can't go wrong with this color,you have a great combo. I agree with you on the space grey, on the x5, I think the PG looks nicer. The color never gets boring. The color is dark but not that dark. The color is very rich and still gives contrast against the black trim. I had a 335i coupe in Monaco blue and I think it's much darker the the PG. When PG gets dirty you can tell but it's not different from any other color in that range. I thought about black but happy I didn't get it. Someone at my job just got a Black 11 Sport X5 and it doesn't standout as much as mine.

I cant comment on the swirl marks because I don't have any. I do it myself . For now that is.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Yeaaah Baby!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobamoo View Post
Great pics, thanks for posting. I ordered mine in silver with the oyster interior. Was thinking cinnamon, but went with oyster, hope it was good choice. The cinnamon looks great in your pics.
Cinnamon Brown is a great color. I debated with oyster as well but in the end I went with CB as I think it looks better on a PG X5.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Wilki

Mein Auto: 328x Coupe, X5 Sport
Swamyg1, no pics right now, mine doesn't come in until late Dec and I won't pick up until then or first of Jan. I'm living in Germany so it takes an extra 4-5 weeks to ship from the states and doesn't enter production until November. Crazy, didn't know the X5 is produced in the states until I ordered. In response to the swirl marks by big rob, I wash my cars myself too, but happened to get swirl marks on my Audi when it shipped from the states over here to germany. I think that even if you do it by hand, there is always the chance to get few, though very minor. When I had my Audi, had to take it in for warranty, wouldn't let the dealership wash it. When I first bought it, the lot boys washed it and sratched it so bad it had to go to a paint shop for touch up. This was at a Porsche/Audi dealership too.

Last edited by Wilkiwan; 10-02-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobamoo View Post
Great pics, thanks for posting. I ordered mine in silver with the oyster interior.
I have PG with with Oyster and I think its a great combo. Here's a plug for the Oyster: My sister got ball point pen on the passenger seat two weekends ago, yes BALL POINT PEN! (I told her she could sign the card on the back gate instead of the passenger seat, but noooo...). Anyhow, she managed to rub it out with a wet beach towel and you can't see a trace of it. I'm just glad it wasn't a sharpie.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja View Post
I have PG with with Oyster and I think its a great combo. Here's a plug for the Oyster: My sister got ball point pen on the passenger seat two weekends ago, yes BALL POINT PEN! (I told her she could sign the card on the back gate instead of the passenger seat, but noooo...). Anyhow, she managed to rub it out with a wet beach towel and you can't see a trace of it. I'm just glad it wasn't a sharpie.
Thanks for that update. My biggest fear with the oyster seats is keeping them clean, remarkable that ball point pen ink came off so easily. Dealer wants to sell me some sort of leather protectant package, but I don't think those products are worth the price. My current car has light gray seats, I just wipe them down with a damp cloth once a week and they stay very clean, hope these are the same.