Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 05 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrawfo View Post
I heard from my SA that BMW's visiting engineer only knew of 3 cars that had a similar problem to mine.
Haha cant help but laugh at that statement or else I would be perhaps it would be worth pointing this forum and the numerous threads on here with that issue just to give him an idea.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Esiste

Mein Auto: 2007 650i Monaco Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchaholic View Post
Haha cant help but laugh at that statement or else I would be perhaps it would be worth pointing this forum and the numerous threads on here with that issue just to give him an idea.
I met with the Engineers today and yes, I believe that they have a fix for the Convertible Top Not Locked a64A problem.

Seriously folks, I think this one may have done the trick....They had each of the past 13 attempts at repairing it, at their avail when developing the solution four weeks ago. So far so good

Last edited by TStranger27; 07-06-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Adding clarity on my good fun humor :)
Old 07-09-2009, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 06 650 vert
Ok, so now this same issue is happening to me. BIG problem I live in Key West and the nearest dealer is over 3 hours away and it's been raining like crazy up on the mainland. I called BMWNA and they were very nice but not much help. I called the dealership in Ft Lauderdale and they claim they will call me back to help... We'll see what happens... This is the first time this has happened since we owned the car..
Old 07-09-2009, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 06 650 vert
OK, spoke to the Service Manager @ the FLL dealer and he said they are aware of this problem and they have a few different fixes that should take care of the problem. I am going to make an appointment for next week.
As a side note I got into the trunk once everything locked up with my key and recovered the top tool that's in the trunk. I proceeded to bring the top down manually and put it back up manually and the problem went away. I was able to start using the motor again and the windows went up normally. I am still going to take it to the dealer for the fixes..
Old 07-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Honda S2000, BMW 650i
I had the same issues with my 650i and last December BMWNA fixed the issue permanently .... they repurchased my car based upon the mileage at the date of the first complaint (handled very well, I might add). I had as many issues as you and ended by tossing the keys to my SA and telling him to keep it. This was just after (three hours) the car was in for a service visit and we were on our way to Phoenix for the weekend. That led to a call to BMWNA and the nasty two words - "lemon law".

Sorry that you are having the same issue, but it is my understanding that this item has been redesigned for 2008 and later models. I posted these details as they happened, but unfortunately they are on another 6 series forum.

Best of luck to you.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Esiste

Mein Auto: 2007 650i Monaco Blue
Floating this thread back to the top for reference to those who are facing the Convertible Top Not Locked Sensor sensor and EPROM design defect. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650
Convertible Issues

Could someone who has had this issue and has had it repaired post the repairs that were done by the dealership.

I am having the same issue with a 2006 BMW 650. And the dealership has not done a thing, they have questioned me if I have driven the vehicle at a high rate of speed with the top partially opened. I asked them if they really thought I was that stupid. Then proceeded to say that it is the only fault showing.

Thank you for your help!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 645
I recently had taken my 2005 645 to the dealer, due to BMW NA not providing any useful guidance besides take it to a dealer. So first attempt was to pay for the diagnostics 150.00, well guess what it was a problem with the sensor as i mentioned to them. TS has some good posts about the actual bulletin board article for the issue. They replaced the sensor , and it was worse then before. I couldnt drive the car without the alarm "top unlocked error" going off. Really pissed off, i called BMW NA and filled another complaint, talked to a case worker and they filled a complaint with the dealer. The following monday i took the car back, they said they recieved a faulty sensor..... Or i just dont think they knew what they were doing. Any case, left the car there the whole day, they put a new sensor in and so far no issue yet.... Perphaps they contacted BMW NA to get the correct sensor or procedure. Let me cross my fingers and hope i dont get the alarm again...
Old 09-16-2009, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvramos View Post
Could someone who has had this issue and has had it repaired post the repairs that were done by the dealership.

I am having the same issue with a 2006 BMW 650. And the dealership has not done a thing, they have questioned me if I have driven the vehicle at a high rate of speed with the top partially opened. I asked them if they really thought I was that stupid. Then proceeded to say that it is the only fault showing.

Thank you for your help!
Most definitely go to another dealer. It is a sensor issue - the back sensors don't know the wings are fully down so it will not continue the close process.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 09-25-2009, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvramos View Post

Thank you for your help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post
Most definitely go to another dealer. It is a sensor issue - the back sensors don't know the wings are fully down so it will not continue the close process.
I would CERTAINLY go to another dealer. There's a Technical Service Bulletin that's been issued for this problem - http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/b541706g.htm. Fault Code A6A4 for overspeed is the indicator. Kind of odd that your service department would try and pin this one on YOU.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStranger27 View Post
Floating this thread back to the top for reference to those who are facing the Convertible Top Not Locked Sensor sensor and EPROM design defect. Good luck.

Win
Old 09-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Greg

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrawfo View Post
I would CERTAINLY go to another dealer. There's a Technical Service Bulletin that's been issued for this problem - http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/b541706g.htm. Fault Code A6A4 for overspeed is the indicator. Kind of odd that your service department would try and pin this one on YOU.
wcrawfo, thanks for the link. I don't have the problem but saved the information just in case it happens and the dealer needs a little help finding the TSB.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGMc View Post
wcrawfo, thanks for the link. I don't have the problem but saved the information just in case it happens and the dealer needs a little help finding the TSB.
My pleasure. As I understand it, this has a been a persistent problem dating back to the 6 series reintroduction. Some bimmerfest members who have had numerous repair jobs for this issue have reported their SAs and departments resorting to radical work including installation of an entire new top, top frame and motor. Lucky for me, I only had my car in the shop for a month or so while they tested, filed and re-filed the sensor until it gave consistently correct readings.

It troubles me that your dealer would tell you that overspeed meant that YOU had the problem, when this matter is so well documented, not only on this board (and elsewhere) but specifically at BMWNA and on BMWNA/TIS. Good luck in the future.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
DAMMIT!

I had the same bloody problem today for the first time in nearly a year! They said they fixed it.... they SAID it's done.... THEY SAID I had nothing to worry about again! DAMMIT!

My top is up and the windows are down.... my fins and snorkel are trapped in the trunk

Today has been a ridiculously hot day in Daytona Beach, so I'm not entirely surprised this happened today if it had to happen at all. I was just trying to find a way to get my trunk open with a random search and I happened upon this old post by me about a year ago! I think that was the last time I had a problem and needed to search the forums... or even google for any kind of remedy.

ugh

Florida heat..... dammit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jit View Post
Well... on the day that I first noticed the problem, I had managed only to get the windows down. BMW couldn't make an appointment for another 5 days or so. So, I took it to them and they managed to get the windows up!! Actually, the technician pressed the button and the top started working again!! I was sooo pissed! I watched him. He JUST pressed the button. Luckily, the service rep wasn't able to get the top to respond when he had tried before the technician. So, they understood that there was a problem. With the windows up, I waited for my Thursday appointment. I was able to use my car, but missed some glorious nights with a perfect breeze. I was able to at least use the trunk again. I didn't want to risk using the top, because the problem was technically unresolved.
So... they kept the car for the day and gave me a 328i, which eerily irritated me. I don't know why I disliked it so much. I drive my mom's Lexus RX330 all the time and I love that. The 328 just felt like a shame to me. I think I've become a *********. Anyway, I got my car back that same evening. They had changed something and said that something else needed changing... some module. I take it that this module would be the one that is too heat sensitive. They said that the car had a clean bill of health to use in the meantime. I could use the convertible. I did, immediately. Everything worked that night. But, I left my car out for ONE NIGHT and when I went to use it at 11am, the next morning, that stupid light was flashing!! The top, windows and trunk are now not usable. I have to take it in on Thursday anyway. I called to let them know that the top sensor is screwed up again.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jit View Post
My top is up and the windows are down.... my fins and snorkel are trapped in the trunk
Time to break out the crank from the trunk (use your key - open via teh Roundel - there's a lock there for your key) and crank the top fully closed. Your windows will then roll up (although you will probably need to crank the rear window up manually). There are directions in the manual.

On the plus side, when you unlock the trunk, you can get your snorkel and fins!

Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 06-17-2010, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 650i Cabriolet
Top not locked error

I have the error today and my windows halfway down. Unfortunately, nothing changed when I cranked the top shut. I still get the error and my windows are still locked. I have an appointment Monday (earliest available) for them to look at it, will be my fourth service call just for top issues. Love my car, but very unhappy with the apparent inability to correct this problem for people who live in warm climates.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:42 PM

Try going the other direction - crank the rear window all the way down, unlock the top and try to open the roof all the way. Then try closing again.

Previous Bimmers:
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 07-03-2010, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Convertible Top Alarm

I have the exact same problem! I just bought a "certified pre-owned" 2006 650i (also bought in Florida) and from the start, I've had problems with the convertible top alarm, windows getting stuck half-way down, etc. I called the dealership and initially they said I should "trade it out"! HUH???? That makes me think whomever had this car before me already had this problem and their dealer told them to "trade it out" and now I'm stuck with it and I paid quite a bit of money for it as they said how important it was to have a "certified pre-owned" car!!! I've already had the car in three times (it has been in the shop more time than I've actually driven it) and they always say it is fixed but it never is. I have one and a half years of warranty on it but I'm worried that this will be a continuous problem as it has been for the other people on this site. I did not spend this kind of money for an obvious lemon problem. Now the dealership says they are sending a North American BMW representative to look at it - we'll see.

Last edited by LassieMD; 07-03-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchaholic View Post
He forgot to count my car!!!
Old 07-05-2010, 12:01 PM

Whatever happened to your situation with BMW - I'm unfortunately just starting my journey with them and I think I know it is not going to end well.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i
I'm so HAPPY to be able to post on this thread (do you smell the sarcasm) but I just experienced the same issue on my 2006 650i. 103 yesterday here in Dallas, last night left a friends house with my wife and went to drop the top...windows down half way, alarm rings and says the top is not locked???? After attempts to get the windows and / or top up or down (with absolutely no response) heading on down the highway with top on and windows halfway down. BTW, we checked and could not budge the top before taking off.
Got home in the 140 degree garage and started troubleshooting, all the same results as posted here so going to take it to the dealer Monday. Its on extended warranty (only about 54k miles now). Sounds like heat and these tops don't work together very well!!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 06 650i convertible
another 650 top with problems

My 06 650 has developed the dread "top unlocked" fault complete with inoperable windows half open etc. so add 1 more to the count.
First round two weeks ago with local dealer they did the sensor fix described in the tsb but reused the sensor. Everything worked fine but two weeks later, same problem again. They replaced the sensor (only charging for part, thank you) but now I'm told that with the new sensor the top was working fine but as they were cycling it to be certain the motor that actually does the locking has died and has to be replaced. They also say this is the second instance of this they have seen in two days, the other was on a newer 650 w/only 10K. My fourth Bimmer and first convertible love the car but this is beginning to really get under my skin.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: '06 650i
Same thing happening to my '06 650i - started with the top stopping half way down and the trunk lid would open to accept the top. Three trips to the shop, a sensor later, and tensioning bracket adjustment and supposedly all was fixed. A month later this has now happend - I went to go start the car and the red light by the convertible buttons was blinking. The message on iDrive said "Top not locked". My reaction was to hit the close top button - nothing happend. So I then hit the open top button - the windows went half way down and then nothing. I turned off the car, locked it, and then tried unlocking and putting the top down with the key fob. The windows then went all the way down (back window stayed up) and now everything is locked up. Windows and trunk won't respond.... Call into Baron BMW now.

Last edited by drgamble; 10-05-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 AM

It sounds like the sensor issue. You can manually put the top back up. Check the owner's manual. It describes how. Pretty simple procedure.

Previous Bimmers:
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 10-05-2010, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
For a vert owner this is a scary read! When I had my Boxster I read problem after problem that would occur - motors failing, coolant tanks leaking, ignition switch crapping out, radio button peeling, steering wheel airbag bracket wearing out causing the horn to honk everytime you stopped or hit a bump, etc...

As I read them I thought "glad that isn't me". But then everyone of those things happened. Like clockwork. I hope this isn't the case for my 6!!!!