BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Oil Plug 0n E39 1998

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bluebee 
#1 ·
LAST OIL CHANGE, THE OIL PLUG SHEARED OFF. PART OF IT IS STILL THERE. PUT ON A NOTHER PIN THAT IS NOT TIGHT ALL THE WAY BECAUSE OF OLD PART THAT IS STILL STUCK THERE. ANY SUGGESTIONS? ITS NOT LEAKING OIL OR LOSING PRESSURE:cry:

#2 ·
I believe this has been discussed on this board. While you await words of wisdom from the wisest; do a database search.
Sorry for the problem, I'd be upset as well.

#4 · (Edited)
Next time, keep an extra bolt handy BEFORE you change your oil... they shear off verrrry easily (ask me how I know).

The place to look is the bestlinks thread where you'll see this:
- Cn90 How to change your oil; and Bluebee how NOT to change your oil!

Here's PLAN A from that how NOT to change your oil thread ...

Good news for you, the fix is usually quite simple and inexpensive:
- Buy a new BMW oil drain bolt at the dealership (part number in that how-not thread)
- Make sure you get a new copper washer as the old one is probably toast from torquing too much (mine was)
- If the original was a BMW oil pan bolt, it's hollow (so you get to skip a step)
- If the original was a solid bolt, then you'll need to drill a hole in the centerline (see screw extractor instructions for the size)
- Twist a screw extractor clockwise into that center hole in the bolt (the exact size is in the how-not thread)
- Turn the screw extractor counterclockwise (with the bolt) out by hand; it turns easily and you'll breath a sigh of relief
- Match up the top half with the bottom half; it should be the same size as the new bolt (mine was); that way you know nothing is left in the oil pan (if anything is in the oil pan, you'll need plan B)
- Screw the new bolt (with new washer) in, hand tight with a socket! No torque wrench!

Or use the MightyVac down the dipstick tube. Do not use the Motive oil extractor (ask me how I know):

Plan B: If it's the V8, removing the oil pan isn't bad; if it's the I6, you don't really want to remove the oil pan so let's hope Plan A works just fine for you.

#6 · (Edited)
Get a flat screw driver and unscrew th broken hollow stud (Yes BMW drain plug has hollow stud).
If the OP follows cn90's nice McGyver-like screwdriver recommendation, bear in mind cn90 also kindly measured the diameter of the bolt centerline hole to be 6mm in diameter.

However, don't do what I did. Do not accidentally screw the sheared bolt further in the oil pan drain hole! (If it goes too deeply, it will fall inside the pan and you really don't want that to happen, especially if you have the I6.)

Since the OP can driver the bimmer now (with the second bolt plugging the hole), I'd suggest an EX-4 tap screw extractor as the less exciting but more elegant solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.