Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i MSport
X5 w/Aero Kit Mud Flap Install

Just snatched up my new 35i MSport (pics to come) and I'm starting the long process of accessorizing. I live in a downtown area with lots of dirt and debris so I'm a little worried about messing up the side skirts and rear bumper. I've read in other forums that the mud flaps make a huge difference in keeping the dirt and rocks from flying up, but I havn't been able to find any info about installation on the X5.

In the X3 forum they talk about having to drill holes and get a rivet gun. Is this the same process for the X5? I'm really hoping that they'll just bolt on cause my g/f will never let me take a drill to the car this early.

If anybody has the instructions for the installation, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 10-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Any takers?

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp
Old 10-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Zipcars
http://www.lunacreativedesign.com/mud.pdf

Does this help?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:02 PM

Sorry but the link doesn't work. Could you check and try again. I really appreciate it.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: Zipcars
Woah, weird! I just did this 2 weeks ago, found that link from some random place, it was fantastic (BMW's official instructions for E70 mudflap install). Whoever put it up must have pulled it down, doh! Unfortunately I didn't save a copy.

I have 18", no running boards, and no M-kit. The install requires some drilling, but it's just into the black plastic in the wheel well. And it's probably not really required - it just makes putting the screws in easier. I'm not sure how different the M-kit is, I think it requires more work due to the flares.

Last edited by Newmanium; 10-07-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:09 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
There's a Guy in Australia that had his dealer add Mud Flaps on his M kit, and they even had to cut some areas away, which meant that he could not revert.

I have Clear bra on the full length of my side skirts, around the front half of my rear wheel Arch extensions, and I had them add to the underside of my rear Bumper just behind the wheels, because of the "stone Pecking" discussed on this forum.

search here again, as I think that was posted before they split the Forum to E70 2007 to now.

Personally, I have 18,000km without a mark, but there are a lot M kit owners on this Forum that have had problems, and even some that say the clear Bra doesn't do anything !

IMHO mud flaps on a Sport kit would look Crap !!!

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 10-08-2010, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 5.0i m-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbro View Post
There's a Guy in Australia that had his dealer add Mud Flaps on his M kit, and they even had to cut some areas away, which meant that he could not revert.

I have Clear bra on the full length of my side skirts, around the front half of my rear wheel Arch extensions, and I had them add to the underside of my rear Bumper just behind the wheels, because of the "stone Pecking" discussed on this forum.

search here again, as I think that was posted before they split the Forum to E70 2007 to now.

Personally, I have 18,000km without a mark, but there are a lot M kit owners on this Forum that have had problems, and even some that say the clear Bra doesn't do anything !

IMHO mud flaps on a Sport kit would look Crap !!!
I had the clear bra (ventureshield, in particular) done on my m-sport as well. Hope it does the trick.

On the other hand, we've yet to see a picture of what it really looks like from anyone who's done it, so who knows how it looks..
Old 10-08-2010, 07:29 PM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
I have a 2011 Carbon Black X5 xDrive35i M-Sport with the 20" wheels and I ordered the BMW Mud Flaps. Once I saw them in-person and held them next to the X5, I returned them back into the parts dept. The X5 with the M Sport Package's fender flares just didn't look right with these installed.

Instead I had VentureShield installed on all surface areas of the fender flares (front & rear) and across the entire length of the rocker panels. In addition, I added additional coverage from the lower front fenders all the way to the rear fender from the door trim level all the way down.

This looks much better to me than the mud flaps. I think that they might look better on an X5 that does not have the fender flares.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:12 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
I had the clear bra (ventureshield, in particular) done on my m-sport as well. Hope it does the trick.

On the other hand, we've yet to see a picture of what it really looks like from anyone who's done it, so who knows how it looks..
there are pictures in this thread by Holmesben jan 7

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=mud+flaps

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera