Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-11-2010, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 540I
Question 2nd post...the problem

I have had my 95 540i for about 3 months now. For the first 2 months it ran great, for the last few weeks it hasn't been consistent in how it runs. Some days it will be fine, somedays I will have a lack of power, somedays I will have almost no power at all and the idle is extremely rough sounding. I am new to this car and not very experienced, although I am learning a ton from this forum. I would really appreciate some help on where to start trouble shooting...from some of the previous posts I have read I am thinking possibly the fuel filter...

It only has 36k miles so I am hoping that it is nothing serious, thanks in advance for your help...
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2010, 02:24 PM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
There are alot of things that can cause that, most not major, some are. First, do the big picture and see if your car is throwing any codes. Idk if the stomp test works on the M60 motor, you can simply search on this forum for "stomp test" and find that out.
From there, you can glean what the engine knows from the codes it'll give you.
Let us know how that goes and we'll take it from there! Good Luck!

1995 525iA 250k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi
2014 F-150 0k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Old 10-11-2010, 02:26 PM

Thumbs up thanks...

I was planning on doing the stomp test when I get off work today (while crossing my fingers)
Old 10-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
Have you considered checking the engine casting code to see if the car has a Nikasil block?

That'd be my first gumption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M60
Old 10-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Manualaholic

Mein Auto: 01 330Ci/94 530i
+1 on the stomp test- that will tell you/us a lot. If the car has a Nikasil block I imagine it wouldn't be so off and on as far as performance... I would think it wouldn't run well all the time.
I would check the casting anyway (above the stater on passenger side), and if it's a Nikasil do a compression test to see if any of the cylinders are worn.

(Grocery Getter) 2002 525iT
Old 10-11-2010, 05:24 PM

thanks so much for your help guys, I will let you know the results of the stomp test as well as the casting code as soon as I get off.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:29 PM

I tried the stomp test multiple times, even went back after watching youtube videos on how to do it but never got it to work. The # that I got off the engine was 1742035 which isnt even listed as either on wikipedia.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
1. Try realoem.com
2. How did you get such a low mileage vehicle? Incredible! Is it real?
3. Doesn't even look like the fuel filter (which would be the prime suspect here, why not change it out in any case as its cheap and could be the problem) ?
4. The stomp test doesn't work on your car. Drive your car into a shop that has an obd1 enabled code reader, or purchase one for yourself and scan your car.
5. Check the air filter, change it if it looks old or dirty, and the air entry system needs to be looked at make sure there are no blockages (yes freak things like that do happen).
6. You can check your engine out with bmwna to see if it clears the nikasil inspection.
7. You may have misfires. Pull out your ignition leads and take a look into your spark plug sockets, see if there's any fluid in there and also check to see if each spark plug is properly tighten and if each ignition lead is properly fixed in.
8. There could be a wide variety of things that are causing this problem. If you're not savvy with cars, and especially since this is an incredible vehicle if its only got 36k (i.e. its worth spending money on), please save yourself alot of unnecessarily wasted time by taking it to a shop for a fast diagnosis and/or repair. You can still learn alot about your car that way. If you look at other threads relating to engine problems, the owners were new to things and thus took weeks to diagnose something that ultimately turned out to be very simple, such as the fuel filter, and when you're diagnosing with the forum's help, things will probably take a lot lot longer due to the stop and go nature of the dialogue and your response. Not worth the time imo.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 PM

Thanks a lot

I am going to take it in this weekend, I just moved down here so it definitely helps to have some knowledge of what it could possibly be. Because I recently moved I dont have a mechanic in here that I trust. Don't worry I have already searched the forums and have found some recs from people for mechanics in SoCal. Also if anybody on the forum is down here and would like to to look at anything or drive it bc of interest in a supercharger, just let me know...thanks again for your help everybody