Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-11-2010, 05:31 PM
bgonline bgonline is offline
beemer 4 life
Location: Baltimore, MD
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: '04 325xit, '08 535xiT
2008 535 Waste Gate Rattle

So, I have read some little pieces of information regarding the turbo Waste Gate rattle. Mine is unbearable with my windows open, which is unfortunate because the weather outside is beautiful right now!

I've already had the HPFP replaced at least twice, after replacing my spark plugs and all the fuel injectors over the last 2 years. So this is just the latest disappointment in my owning a $60,000 imported vehicle. I think it's sad that you know your service advisor and all of the rental employees by name.

My several service advisers have been very nice and do whatever BMW NA tells them to do, so I can't blame them. This is obviously another case of poor design and then denial that any such problem exists.

According to TID SI B11 13 07 (given to me by my SA), 'This slight rattle noise is considered normal operation of the mechanical waste gate valve. No repair should be attempted for this type of rattling complaint.' Way to go BMW. Do not fix the hardware, pacify the customer with a BS software update.

Has anyone had success with an actual repair for this ridiculous condition?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 10-11-2010, 07:18 PM
BMWFAN275 BMWFAN275 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Stamford, CT
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 605
Mein Auto: 2009 535i, Sport
Silly question- but is "waste gate rattle" that noise I hear at low parking lot speeds? Sounds like a bolt is loose on the exhaust system?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Nube1kenobi's Avatar
Nube1kenobi Nube1kenobi is offline
U of Dawgs
Location: The Sound of Zundfolge
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,388
Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgonline View Post
So, I have read some little pieces of information regarding the turbo Waste Gate rattle. Mine is unbearable with my windows open, which is unfortunate because the weather outside is beautiful right now!

I've already had the HPFP replaced at least twice, after replacing my spark plugs and all the fuel injectors over the last 2 years. So this is just the latest disappointment in my owning a $60,000 imported vehicle. I think it's sad that you know your service advisor and all of the rental employees by name.

My several service advisers have been very nice and do whatever BMW NA tells them to do, so I can't blame them. This is obviously another case of poor design and then denial that any such problem exists.

According to TID SI B11 13 07 (given to me by my SA), 'This slight rattle noise is considered normal operation of the mechanical waste gate valve. No repair should be attempted for this type of rattling complaint.' Way to go BMW. Do not fix the hardware, pacify the customer with a BS software update.

Has anyone had success with an actual repair for this ridiculous condition?
If the clanking noise is still present after the programming, the techs are supposed to replace the waste gate actuators - per same SIB you quoted. And, no it has not happened to me.
__________________

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..

Last edited by Nube1kenobi; 10-11-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-12-2010, 05:23 AM
bgonline bgonline is offline
beemer 4 life
Location: Baltimore, MD
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: '04 325xit, '08 535xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFAN275 View Post
Silly question- but is "waste gate rattle" that noise I hear at low parking lot speeds? Sounds like a bolt is loose on the exhaust system?
I think that is what you may be hearing. I thought it might be something with the catalytic converter, or a heat shield or something. Over time, it got worse and became more like a rusty wind-up toy spring that unwinds. Hard to believe that a $60k car sounds worse than a Ford Escort.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Keith2000328i Keith2000328i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 60
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
Same here. My 2008 535i has this clanging sound on initial acceleration at low speed. The car runs like a dream, but that sound is a little embarassing!

Maybe I also need to have BMW to check the waste gate?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-12-2010, 09:21 AM
HPIA4v2 HPIA4v2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: washington
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,124
Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000328i View Post
Same here. My 2008 535i has this clanging sound on initial acceleration at low speed. The car runs like a dream, but that sound is a little embarassing!

Maybe I also need to have BMW to check the waste gate?
Be careful with any clank noise at acceleration, it's rather general and may indicate other problems.
For the known wastegate rattle issue, rev the engine to 3-4k RPM then on engine deceleration you'll hear the rock-in-tin-can rattle sound with hood open and windows down.

You may have problem with exhaust butterfly which is more normal, but so is control arm bushing, trans or diff so get the dealer check it while it's still under waranty.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-12-2010, 11:22 AM
BMWFAN275 BMWFAN275 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Stamford, CT
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 605
Mein Auto: 2009 535i, Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgonline View Post
I think that is what you may be hearing. I thought it might be something with the catalytic converter, or a heat shield or something. Over time, it got worse and became more like a rusty wind-up toy spring that unwinds. Hard to believe that a $60k car sounds worse than a Ford Escort.
yep, sounds like a loose heat shield or loose washer. I don't hear it with the windows closed. Going to have it checked out one of these days. As great as this car performs, the systemic issues are pretty dissappointing.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Nube1kenobi's Avatar
Nube1kenobi Nube1kenobi is offline
U of Dawgs
Location: The Sound of Zundfolge
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,388
Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
Be careful with any clank noise at acceleration, it's rather general and may indicate other problems.
For the known wastegate rattle issue, rev the engine to 3-4k RPM then on engine deceleration you'll hear the rock-in-tin-can rattle sound with hood open and windows down.

You may have problem with exhaust butterfly which is more normal, but so is control arm bushing, trans or diff so get the dealer check it while it's still under waranty.
+1 - There's also the tie bracket bolt for the exhaust piping.
__________________

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-12-2010, 06:51 PM
bgonline bgonline is offline
beemer 4 life
Location: Baltimore, MD
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: '04 325xit, '08 535xiT
This is much worse than a loose bolt, I'm afraid. This is just another N54 engine issue that is just now surfacing at 48k miles. Thankfully I have extended warranty on this, but I really just don't think that BMW owners should have these kinds of problems.

The most frustrating thing to me is that I will now have to take the car in 5 or 6 times, which is a complete waste of my time, before BMW will actually do anything to fix it. Software, adjustments, etc. are just BS ways of skirting the real issue. The turbos need to be replaced probably, even though the car 'drives' fine.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-12-2010, 07:18 PM
BMWFAN275 BMWFAN275 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Stamford, CT
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 605
Mein Auto: 2009 535i, Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgonline View Post
This is much worse than a loose bolt, I'm afraid. This is just another N54 engine issue that is just now surfacing at 48k miles. Thankfully I have extended warranty on this, but I really just don't think that BMW owners should have these kinds of problems.

The most frustrating thing to me is that I will now have to take the car in 5 or 6 times, which is a complete waste of my time, before BMW will actually do anything to fix it. Software, adjustments, etc. are just BS ways of skirting the real issue. The turbos need to be replaced probably, even though the car 'drives' fine.
I really worry about the ability of some guy in a shop, with his boss standing over him with a stop watch reassembling my engine in the same fashion they did in the factory. How on earth do they find enough techs to replace injectors, turbos, waste gates and fuel pumps.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Nube1kenobi's Avatar
Nube1kenobi Nube1kenobi is offline
U of Dawgs
Location: The Sound of Zundfolge
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,388
Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
You nailed that one! It has become quantity over quality... Business $$$ over customer satisfaction. Very sad. Don't blame BMW solely, start with the people wanting more business traffic; you know who those are.
__________________

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-21-2013, 05:38 PM
joeboxer8301 joeboxer8301 is offline
Registered User
Location: michigan
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Took my 535 in for service Thursday for the waste gate rattle and the are replacing the turbos for me no charge! I'm I'm a few years out of warranty!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-21-2013, 09:30 PM
booyaazaa's Avatar
booyaazaa booyaazaa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Bay, CA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,025
Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboxer8301 View Post
Took my 535 in for service Thursday for the waste gate rattle and the are replacing the turbos for me no charge! I'm I'm a few years out of warranty!
Nice. BMW NA extended the warranty on the turbos due to the wastegate issue to 8 yrs/82k miles.
__________________

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access

-FBO, custom Cobb E30 map, Performance Gearing LSD.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-22-2013, 04:46 AM
NoQuarter's Avatar
NoQuarter NoQuarter is offline
Drink E85 & inject Meth
Location: Indiana
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 839
Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
2008 535 Waste Gate Rattle

Good for you. I think this is about $4000 worth of work and parts.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:11 AM
rob2388 rob2388 is offline
Registered User
Location: Hialeah
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboxer8301 View Post
Took my 535 in for service Thursday for the waste gate rattle and the are replacing the turbos for me no charge! I'm I'm a few years out of warranty!
Sorry to bring this old thread up, i'm having the same issue on my 09 535, i'm about 7 months off warranty at 49k miles so i'll hopefully have the same luck as you! Thanks for the info guys..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 AM
booyaazaa's Avatar
booyaazaa booyaazaa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Bay, CA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,025
Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
2008 535 Waste Gate Rattle

BMWNA extended the warranty on the turbos to 8yr/82k miles due to emission standards. The rattle itself will not facilitate a replacement under this warranty extension unless fault codes are present or it doesn't pass the 2 BMW diagnostic test. With that said if you have a friendly SA or dealership they will usually take care of it even without fault codes present.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access

-FBO, custom Cobb E30 map, Performance Gearing LSD.

Last edited by booyaazaa; 12-17-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-17-2013, 05:19 AM
rob2388 rob2388 is offline
Registered User
Location: Hialeah
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaazaa View Post
BMWNA extended the warranty on the turbos to 8yr/84k miles due to emission standards. The rattle itself will not facilitate a replacement under this warranty extension unless fault codes are present or it doesn't pass the 2 BMW diagnostic test. With that said if you have a friendly SA or dealership they will usually take care of it even without fault codes present.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I'm taking it in today, my SA is pretty cool so lets see.. Also i heard JB4 gets rid of it, another excuse to get some tunning on if it doesnt work out with the stealership lol

update: Dropped it off today, good news!! my SA hooked me up and took it in and gave me a brand new 535 loaner! but i still like my e60 better

Last edited by rob2388; 12-17-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-17-2013, 11:19 PM
booyaazaa's Avatar
booyaazaa booyaazaa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Bay, CA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,025
Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2388 View Post
I'm taking it in today, my SA is pretty cool so lets see.. Also i heard JB4 gets rid of it, another excuse to get some tunning on if it doesnt work out with the stealership lol

update: Dropped it off today, good news!! my SA hooked me up and took it in and gave me a brand new 535 loaner! but i still like my e60 better
I haven't heard that one where installing a jb4 helped fix the wastegate rattle. Replacing your vacuum lines has been known to help cure some rattling issues since the wastegates are actuated via the vacuum system.
__________________

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access

-FBO, custom Cobb E30 map, Performance Gearing LSD.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-18-2013, 11:57 AM
rob2388 rob2388 is offline
Registered User
Location: Hialeah
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaazaa View Post
I haven't heard that one where installing a jb4 helped fix the wastegate rattle. Replacing your vacuum lines has been known to help cure some rattling issues since the wastegates are actuated via the vacuum system.
Yes it supposedly reduces the rattle by like 90%, forgot the explanation but i believe is by just keeping the waste gates open or something like that. That's what Miami Performance inc told me yesterday. Hell i have rattle in my 2013 535 loaner with 1300 miles lol
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-25-2013, 05:35 AM
Locomotive Locomotive is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Clarksville,TN
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 103
Mein Auto: 08 BMW 535xi Monaco blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaazaa View Post
BMWNA extended the warranty on the turbos to 8yr/82k miles due to emission standards. The rattle itself will not facilitate a replacement under this warranty extension unless fault codes are present or it doesn't pass the 2 BMW diagnostic test. With that said if you have a friendly SA or dealership they will usually take care of it even without fault codes present.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Do you know the specific fault codes?
__________________
08 535xi Monaco blue (mine)
08 535xi Grey (hers)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms