Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-14-2010, 05:30 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
What rotors are recommended for street use on the E39 (thread for newbies)

- What brand/model is the OEM rotor on the E39?

- What is the short list of recommended replacement rotors for the E39 (for performance, not bling)?

- What is the recommended list of suppliers for those recommended rotors
?

Today, a newbie asked "what brake pads & suppliers do you guys recommend", to which we pointed him to a thread made just for that purpose ... but that thread did not list the recommended rotors & suppliers.

In keeping with that newbie-first-read philosophy (i.e., more list than discussion), may we list recommended (non-bling please) functional rotors & suppliers we recommend most?

Most often recommended replacement rotors:
- ATE solid (Premium One brand is OEM?)
- Balo (which model?)
- Brembo solid (which model?)
- Centric Premium ?model
- Zimmermann ?model

Bling:
- Cross-drilled and/or slotted rotors may be useful for cosmetic purposes but are not the focus of this newbie recommended replacement rotor list. (or should they be added?)

Most often recommended rotor suppliers:
- AutohauzAZ (AZ, 6.6% tax) 800-240-4620 http://www.autohausaz.com (brands:models carried)?
- Bavauto (NH, no tax) 800-535-2002 http://www.bavauto.com (brands:models carried?)
- BMAParts (CA 9.75% tax) 888-262-3911 http://www.bmaparts.com (brands:models carried?)
- Circle BMW (NJ 7% tax) 732-440-1238 http://www.circlebmw.com (brands:models carried?)
- Crevier BMW (CA 9.75% tax) 800-309-2318 http://www.crevierbmw.com (brands:models carried?)
- EAC Tuning (OH 6.7% tax) 800.208.6448 http://eactuning.com, contact Mark@EACTuning.com, Carries: Jurid 187, Textar T4071, Akebono Euro, Hawk HPS & HP+, Textar Ceramic Fusions, and others (in order of the original list)
- JLevi SW (CA 9.75% tax) 888.JLEVISW (888.553.8479) http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com, Carries: StopTech Street Performance, Hawk HPS, & Porterfield R4-S Street Pads
- OemBimmerParts (TX 6.25% tax) 210.445.7090 http://www.oembimmerparts.com, contact Max@???, Carries: (brands:models listed above carried?)
- Pacific BMW (CA 9.75% tax) 800.542.9634 http://www.pacificbmw.com ,Carries: (brands:models carried?)
- Pelican (CA 9.75% tax) 888-280-7799 http://www.pelicanparts.com (brands:models carried?)
- SpeedNet Motorsports (CA, 9.75% tax) 800-530-3515 http://www.speednetmotorsports.com/index.html
- Turner Motorsport (MA, 6.25% tax) 800-280-6966 http://www.turnermotorsport.com
- Zeckhausen (NJ 7% tax) 800-222-8893 http://www.zeckhausen.com (brands:models carried?)

NOTE: I'm sure there are inaccuracies and omissions in the information above so please modify as needed so that we end up with a complete and accurate list for newbies (the purpose is to list more so than discuss because discussion threads abound).

Last edited by bluebee; 10-14-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Add Zimmerman to rotor brands and AutoHausAZ to the vendors list.

While I am sure there are differences in rotor quality (metal used, machining quality, etc.) I don't think a rotor will significantly affect braking performance (stopping distance). I've used Zimmerman and Brembo with no noticeable differences between these two. I picked these brands simply because they were used by many others with no apparent negative issues. Can't remember who I bought these from.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
From what I can recall from 30 years of doing brake jobs on various Audis and BMWs I`ve owned, ATE rotors seem to wear out the fastest, Brembos are around mid-pack, Balos seem to have the edge for longevity (Balo is the only manufacturer I know that actually owns a metal foundry, so they can monitor quality control from raw material to finished product). I never detected any difference in stopping ability between rotors. For pads, OEM-quality Pagids and Jurids excel in all areas except brake dust. A couple of E46 members have used newer ceramic-composition pads, and claim they perform well, so I`ll likely give them a try next time around.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-14-2010, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Just to digress, I use Autozone rotors in my 2007 Honda Odyssey van, no issues whatsoever.
2 yr warranty.
$41/each rotor
Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 AM

For the record, this thread today discusses the difference between solid rotors and solid rotors with fancy swirly routed wear indicator grooving:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > ~ ~ Need Advice on BRAKES qustion... ASAP ~ ~

That thread also references an older cn90 thread positing a possible pitfall of the fancy wear indicating swirls:
- ATE Rotor Power Slot "Grabbing" ?

Old 07-27-2011, 04:55 AM
Bimmerholic

Mein Auto: 2001 530 SP/PP/CWP/Slush
Love my Zimmerman Z Coats and Hawk HPS pads. Same stopping power and pedal feel as OEM, zero to very little dust. I have OEM pads on the rears still. It's odd to have more dust on the rears than the fronts, but I'm not complaining.

2001 530 Steel Blue Metallic, purchased Dec 03
SP/PP/CWP/Slushbox (I know I know)

OEM M5 bumper, 40% Huper Optik ceramic tint, Dice Silverline Pro iPod adapter, 540SP radial spokes, Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads
"Mods": driveshaft, cooling system, Vanos, CCV, PSR, VCG, FSU, spark plugs, buncha belts-n-hoses, & other things I'd just as soon forget

BMW CCA member for 12 years
Old 07-27-2011, 05:27 AM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh P. View Post
Love my Zimmerman Z Coats and Hawk HPS pads. Same stopping power and pedal feel as OEM, zero to very little dust. I have OEM pads on the rears still. It's odd to have more dust on the rears than the fronts, but I'm not complaining.
+1. I have the identical setup and could not be happier. I also found that the harder you push the Hawks, the better they get. They simply won't fade.

Tested tough on the Mount Washington Auto Road!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
For street use, Brembo blanks should be fine. That's what I would normally run if I didn't get a kick ass deal on the BavAuto Ultimates I'm running now (found on CL for $75/pair brand new). I'm running the Akebono Euros with them.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:23 AM
Been there done that...

Send a message via ICQ to Orxan4ik Send a message via AIM to Orxan4ik Send a message via MSN to Orxan4ik Send a message via Yahoo to Orxan4ik Send a message via Skype™ to Orxan4ik
Mein Auto: '97 540iA
brembo blanks w oem jurids here - best setup ever. I switched from Akebono Euro bc I could no longer stand the mushy pedal when cold
Old 07-27-2011, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
1+,

Another vote for Brembo Blank + Jurid.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
Might have to check out Jurids next. I believe the prices were comparable when I was shopping.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
WRT rotors, I have no real preferences. My experience with Brembos and Zimmermans have been very similar. WRT to slots or holes, I go with blanks.

But when it comes to pads, it is time for a change. Been using the Akebono Euros for about two years and while it has been great to have clean wheels, I really don't care for the pads. Much has been written about their lack of bite and feel. Now, I am getting a slight grinding feel when I gradually slow down to a complete stop. This feel (in the pedal, no sounds) only occurs in the last few seconds of braking, just before I come to a complete stop. And it only happens when I brake very gradually. The actual braking performance is fine. Very strange. And I REALLY miss the feel of the Jurids. The Hawk HPS sounds like a possibility...
Old 07-27-2011, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Generally, when I think of an OEM rotor, I think of Brembo, and Balo.
I think Balo has a tad better reputation because Brembo has moved manufacturing to China, and a lot of vendors are hesitant to that.
Again....
OEM pads are Jurid fronts, Textar rears.

I have Stop Tech pads on the front now.
Pretty impressive IMO.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Bimmerholic

Mein Auto: 2001 530 SP/PP/CWP/Slush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
Generally, when I think of an OEM rotor, I think of Brembo, and Balo.
I think Balo has a tad better reputation because Brembo has moved manufacturing to China, and a lot of vendors are hesitant to that.
Again....
OEM pads are Jurid fronts, Textar rears.

I have Stop Tech pads on the front now.
Pretty impressive IMO.
When were Brembos OEM on our cars? I was not aware of that.

2001 530 Steel Blue Metallic, purchased Dec 03
SP/PP/CWP/Slushbox (I know I know)

OEM M5 bumper, 40% Huper Optik ceramic tint, Dice Silverline Pro iPod adapter, 540SP radial spokes, Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads
"Mods": driveshaft, cooling system, Vanos, CCV, PSR, VCG, FSU, spark plugs, buncha belts-n-hoses, & other things I'd just as soon forget

BMW CCA member for 12 years
Old 12-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Reaction

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
- What brand/model is the OEM rotor on the E39?

Most often recommended replacement rotors:
- ATE solid (Premium One brand is OEM?)
- Balo (which model?)
- Brembo solid (which model?)
- Centric Premium ?model
- Zimmermann ?model
BlueBee this is a nice start but it would be nice for noobs like me to have suggested models along with the brands. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush_ad View Post
it would be nice for noobs like me to have suggested models
That's a good idea.

I don't know that information ... so let's hope someone who knows this can help us out with models for the brands.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:35 AM
BMW CCA Member #: 444067

Mein Auto: 2002 540iA with sport pkg
Rotors
- R1 Concept eLine rotors (zinc coated).

Pads
- HB227 F.630 (d547/d681) on rear
- HB325 F.720 (d692/d396/d763) on front
(Both are HPS 'Ferro-carbon')

After several months, no squeals, squeaks, or squawks. No dust problem, either. Great braking, too.

2002 e39 (540iA) with factory 'sport package' modified with:
'03 fr. and r. bumpers, front air ducts, and spoiler
18" Staggered MPars (style 37)
Dinan exhaust
shorter springs
European center console arm rest
VECTOR radar detector (non-working)

....-------------------.
[ /.....................\ ]
.|(oOO)\(lll)(lll)/(OOo)|
. \o\0=======|=======0/o/
...|__|.............|__|
Old 12-18-2011, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 540i m-sport
Meyle geomet coating rotors(not expensive) and akebono euro pads trust me clean look quiet and awesome stopping power ftw

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Bimmer
Old 12-18-2011, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
Got the Brembo blanks + Jurids...currently having some noise issue on the right. Also noticed one of the rotors(front) has a dimple in it. Anyone who bought the Brembos noticed it on theirs? Supposedly some sort of wear indicator which I don't like since does away with the completely flat look. Am gonna go with something else when these wear out.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530
Got Brembo's + Pagid pads and they are great!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 PM

This thread today has at least one proponent for FCP as a supplier.
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Brake Pads & Rotors

Any experience with them as a recommended supplier?

BTW, a separate issue is what happens to drilled/slotted rotors when something goes wrong (I don't know the circumstances of this photo from that thread though). Notice the cracks at the drilled weakness though ...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rotor_cracks.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	337435  

Last edited by bluebee; 08-17-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:28 AM

The classic rotor question came up again today, over here:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Would you pay for a BMW rotor ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4te View Post
Hi guys,

I know there are tons of brake related threads, and I have read them for 3 days by now, but they almost exclusively focus on brake pads. Have only read one or two about rotors. Alas, after hours of reading posts about brake pads I decided to stick with Jurid (OEMs).

But with front rotors, I'm still undecided which brand to purchase (only doing the front brakes), oscillating between Zimmerman Z Coated (plain) and genuine BMW. Zimmerman's are about $68 while BMW's cost $108. I read about Zimmerman versus Brembo rotors but with the later selling for ~$92, for that price I would rather get the OEMs.

So based on your experience, is $50 price difference between Zimmerman and BMW rotors justified ? If you were to do the brake job again now, would you go for OEM rotors ?

And if any of you have Zimmerman Coat Z (plain, not interested in drilled or slotted), does the coat on the hat last and protect a long time ? Or rather I will have to paint the hat to make sure I keep the rust out ?

Thanks a lot !
Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 AM
BMW CCA Member #: 444067

Mein Auto: 2002 540iA with sport pkg
R1 Concept eLine rotors (zinc coated)

I have had R1 Concept eLine rotors (zinc coated) rotors on all four corners for just short of 2 years. They still shine, stop the car with no muss or fuss, and perform to my expectations.

You'll see a few posts up the brake pads used when refitting the rotors and pads ... they are also quite satisfactory. Not much brake dust and I've no complaints regarding their stopping power.

2002 e39 (540iA) with factory 'sport package' modified with:
'03 fr. and r. bumpers, front air ducts, and spoiler
18" Staggered MPars (style 37)
Dinan exhaust
shorter springs
European center console arm rest
VECTOR radar detector (non-working)

....-------------------.
[ /.....................\ ]
.|(oOO)\(lll)(lll)/(OOo)|
. \o\0=======|=======0/o/
...|__|.............|__|
Old 07-19-2013, 04:31 PM

For the record, there is, yet again, the discussion of what rotors and what type (and the inevitable disagreement of whether there is any difference between them) over here today:
- Need help choosing the best rotors+pads combination.