Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-06-2010, 01:37 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Glad that you found the problem. How long have you owned your car?

1. Why do you want to change your brakes? The 540 has the best brakes of the lot.
2. Suggest you get ventilated slotted or drilled performance brake discs off ebay. Very good pricing. Often sold together with the brake pads.
3. Look at your brake fluid reservoir. If dark, your brake system needs to be flushed. Not sure how many but may be as high as 2 litres of Dot4 oil (use Ate brand).
4. Switch to steel braided brake hoses. Improves braking performance noticeably. Do this if you're going to flush the oil from your system so that you only bleed the brakes once.
5. Read up about brake bleeding procedures in the bentley manual and check if your ABS unit needs to be activated while bleeding the brakes.
6. If you change the brake rotors/discs, make sure you follow the 'bed-in' procedure when driving off for the first time. Google the web to learn the steps involved. This is easy and probably very important.
7. Check to see if your front and rear wheel bearings are ok. If they need replacement, do it together with the brake rotors/steel hoses/brake fluid flush.
8. Not a bad idea at all to overhaul your calliper seals. However, its not too simple so its best left to the pros if you've never done this before.
9. You might want to check if your shock absorbers are alright. If not, replace together with the above.
10. You might want to consider lowering your car together with the above. Simple but special equipment needed for this so consider carefully.
11. You might want to drive your car for another month or two before doing any of this.

Another thing. You MUST run fuel injector cleaner through your system immediately. It would have been clogged up as well. Its simple actually....just drive your car till nearly empty....let the emergency fuel light come on, then pour in 1-2 gallons of denatured alcohol. Don't bother with the stuff sold in the gas station...this costs the same and is far more potent. Then drive the car, preferably at 5000rpm on the highway (safe if you stick to 3rd gear) for 10-15 minutes. After the emergency fuel light comes on again, then fill up with regular.

If you are familiar with the process, remove your fuel injectors and clean it on the bench with one of those ultrasonic cleaners. Remember to back flush each one. Do not rush through this.

After cleaning out your system, maintain your fuel delivery system by using 2 litres of diesel with a full tank fillup once every 3 months. The diesel cleans the injectors, and will mix well with the gasoline and not give you any problems whatsoever.

Last edited by robertobaggio20; 10-06-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEmar24 View Post
Ok update =) she running... it was the fuel filters(the "94 540I has 2). =) she runs like a beauty yay thanks for all the help everyone next on my list is brakes any suggestions? Upgrade or just get oem rotors and and pads?

Sent from my MB200 using BimmerApp
And please use this episode to internalise that the cheap and simple things do matter very greatly when it comes to our car. :-) If you do, then all that stress you went through would be worthwhile.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to zaleonardz
Mein Auto: F30,F30,E70,F10,F01
You are running the H31 braking system (The entire system is hydraulic, not vacuum based) in your 540, one of the most advanced braking systems at the time... I agree fully with Robert. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Have the master cylinder rebuilt, change fluids, even do the caliper seals, and you will be amazed at how good those brakes are in standard form.

I equate my 95 540's brakes to be almost in the same class at my 2005 730d.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:21 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Glad you got her running

Brake type is a personal choice. I personlly would just put stock rotors back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 10-06-2010, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 bmw 540i auto
Thanks robertobaggio20 =) ill get on my fuel system asap. As far as the brakes the screen tell me "brake linings" I went to the owner manual and it says its the pads are down to a minimum. I got her in may of this year

Old 10-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks robertobaggio20 =) ill get on my fuel system asap. As far as the brakes the screen tell me "brake linings" I went to the owner manual and it says its the pads are down to a minimum. I got her in may of this year

OK, since you just got this...in fact I'm surprised that you didn't do a thorough initial servicing.

The previous owner (po) did not take care of this car. So please go through the entire vehicle and check everything in the wear and tear category. Please check the brake fluids first its probably black and needs to be flushed. Check your oil level. I suggest you change the oil and flush the engine with 1 litre of diesel just before draining everything out if you haven't already done that. Change the air filter and oil filter. Check all the coolant hoses in the car. Flush the radiator thoroughly, refill with water and cheap gas station coolant, drive for 1 week and flush the radiator again and refill with BMW coolant this time (needs to be changed every 2 years). Jack up your car and check for oil leaks. If there are any, wash out your undercarraige, wait one week and check again to see if the leaks have returned, any oil stains that you see may be old ones.

If you're running an automatic, check the transmission oil, if its brown change it, if its black change it now and change it once again 3 months later (this would be a near-complete flush of your transmission and torque convertor). Check the state of your differential fluid as well similarly.

Check the pad wear for all four wheels. Please change out all your pads within 2 weeks for safety reasons. Before that, consider all the brake system stuff that i've mentioned before. Steel brake hoses can be purchased on ebay along with performance rotors and brake pads. Fast delivery...will be just nice for you to do things next weekend. Oh, while your car is jacked up, check all four tyres for any uneven wear and take action accordingly if discovered.

Your po did not take care of this car. I can safely assure you that you need to do all of this if not you'll pay the price for his neglect as you have for the past 3 weeks.

Good luck and keep us updated

Roberto
Old 10-07-2010, 08:56 PM

Another thing is how do I improve my mpg!

Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 PM

The comp says 9.9mpg

Old 10-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Another thing is how do I improve my mpg!

LOLOLOLOL. To see why I'm laughing, please take a look at this thread :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=486647

Its time for you to join that thread. 9.9 mpg is ridiculous.

The first thing I would do is to check if your on board computer is actually accurate. Do a full fillup, zero your trip meter and obc, drive for some time, fill up again and compare the computer's values against your actual driving distance vs fuel consumed. Don't worry, this problem, if it is for real, is easily fixable within 30 days. But put aside $500. And please get yourself a code reader if the stomp test is not working for you....it is an invaluable aid to maintaining your car over the years.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Ok ill do a full fill up today.. I'm gonna drive to fontana(48 miles away) I live in hollywood california. So well see. Thanks for the advice

Old 10-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 540i V8 Auto Trans.
Yea, that's some bad gas mileage. My 95 540i got mid twenties at 80 mph on my last trip to Charleston,SC (from Columbia) 110 miles.

1995 E34 BMW 540iA M60 V8 Auto Trans.
668 Schwartz II Black II Standard Black 51 91 1 052 171
Old 10-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Banned

So how did it go ACEmar24? You still with us?