Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 10-18-2010, 11:07 AM
hookersandblow

Send a message via AIM to Moeman10
Mein Auto: 1992 325is
You'll be completely fine with 10w-30 or 5w-30..

Zegerman (Karl) Lives in your area, and will probably chime in soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
I live in Seattle and run Mobil 1 10W40 High Mileage (THIS) in my '98 328is with 101k miles. Ideally, I would use 15W40 in this climate, but it isn't offered by Mobil 1, and 10W40 is certainly sufficient for daily driving.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 10-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Dr Jim & his Bim

Mein Auto: BMW 323i 1999 2004 X3 2.1
jonesin -update

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
Well Dr. Jim, you've come to the right place. I'll apologize in advance for those of us who are occasionally asshats, (myself included). For all of the manuals you could need click on the link in my sig.

For appeasement of the masses, please post pictures of your car in the appropriate section.

Welcome to the 'Fest!

Ed.
Took the new 1999 323i Cvetr to the Stratton October Fast t(Greem Mountain Club -nice group) two weeks ago. Cleaned it up a bit and went looking for help with what to do to retsore the former luster! I managed to enter her in the show -by mistake--thought it was admission. I then some how managed to win 2nd place in the unrestored class. I guess I should do a little more washing and waxing --and who knows what may happen. For now I'm doing mechanical stuff--auto transmission fluid flush. (it clunks between 2-3) Struts -beakes ands powersteering pump. Thats in for this years Budget! Any input is cook .

Hey jonesin --whats up with the thread I saw you posting in about a fest in Bimmervill Georga?? Will you really drive down from CA to GA?
Old 10-18-2010, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 318is
Question Substitute engine oil

Hi there
I have a 1997 e-36 318is/M44 engine (Euro version) BMW, with @16,000 Miles in wish I installed a Downing Atlanta Supercharger.
The car has been serviced by a BMW concessionary since new and they have been using BMW Super Power oil SAE 5W-40, which I understand is synthetic oil, as well as, Castrol is the official BMW oil fabricant supplier (Please correct me if I’m wrong)
My question is: Which Castrol brand oils should be the perfect substitute for the BMW Super Power Oil SAE 5W-40?
Other then the recommended Castrol perfect substitute, please feel free to recommend in addition the top notch Castrol oil you think would be the best one for this car Supercharged M44 engine, which I use on the streets regular drive occasionally, as well as, on Track days too.
Advanced thx for the broad help
Cheers
Old 10-18-2010, 07:06 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcguire View Post
Took the new 1999 323i Cvetr to the Stratton October Fast t(Greem Mountain Club -nice group) two weeks ago. Cleaned it up a bit and went looking for help with what to do to retsore the former luster! I managed to enter her in the show -by mistake--thought it was admission. I then some how managed to win 2nd place in the unrestored class. I guess I should do a little more washing and waxing --and who knows what may happen. For now I'm doing mechanical stuff--auto transmission fluid flush. (it clunks between 2-3) Struts -beakes ands powersteering pump. Thats in for this years Budget! Any input is cook .

Hey jonesin --whats up with the thread I saw you posting in about a fest in Bimmervill Georga?? Will you really drive down from CA to GA?
I'll be driving the 7.5 hours from Canada to PA where we're having the meet, yes. Hell, NYC is 9 hours from me and I've driven that twice this summer.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 01-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to ethereal45
Mein Auto: 1998 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
I live in Seattle and run Mobil 1 10W40 High Mileage (THIS) in my '98 328is with 101k miles. Ideally, I would use 15W40 in this climate, but it isn't offered by Mobil 1, and 10W40 is certainly sufficient for daily driving.
I've got Mobil 1 0w-40 in right now, but I've been thinking about trying the High Mileage. It's hot here in the summer, so 10w-40 would probably be fine. The high milage doesn't have the BMW Long Life certification, which turns alot of people off of it.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:48 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal45 View Post
I've got Mobil 1 0w-40 in right now, but I've been thinking about trying the High Mileage. It's hot here in the summer, so 10w-40 would probably be fine.
We finally figured out exactly why oil discussions are endless:
- Fundamental BMW fluids decision-making religious camps (1) and algorithms specific to motor oil selection (1), coolant choice (1), & gasoline dogma (1)
Old 04-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 04 envoy, 08 sentra
i import my oil from germany an pay $85 per oil change plus another $15 for the filter... im not sure the brand but it has the vanos oil in it... now i only have this bc the previous owner has always done it 2 the car. Ill share the brand after i look in my trunk after i get my car back after the secondary air pump gets put in... a$$ bags had my car all day an didnt touch it till half hour b4 service dept. closed 2day
Old 04-05-2011, 07:08 PM
I like pie.

Mein Auto: 96 318ti, 93 BMW 325IS
Are you retarded?, or do you just think we all are?. If you care enough about your car to drop $100 per oil change why are you doing dumb shyt like putting on a "performance chip" that doesn't even cost as much as one of your oil changes?. Unless that oil comes with a complementary hummer from an 18 year old Swedish girl bathed in the same oil, I don't buy it for a second. Quit trying to impress people on the interwebs by talking about all the money you don't have, odds are pretty good none of us will ever see you in person and even if we did, we still wouldn't give a crap whether or not you're as loaded as you want us to think you are.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:33 PM

its not about being loaded... its about what has been put in2 my mint condition m3. the 1 previous owner has always imported his oil from germany and it has the vanos oil in it. when i bought the car in february not only did it have a fresh oil change but it has 6 quarts of some german brand oil and also an extra new filter... 2nd Dicksock i never put that chip on my car, its factory under the hood except for K&N cai and iridium ngks... im starting 2 think your a hater. I dont claim 2b rich u tool, i drive a 08 sentra and where i live thats not exactly ballin. im sorry that i lucked out and bought an awesome m3 while u may have overpayed for your mediocre 325 in which ive already owned the same car in white and practically junked it.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 PM
I like pie.

Where did you hear that the Vanos unit needs special oil? I have never heard any thing about that, and 20+ minutes of searching the interwebs has yielded didly, leading me to believe you are either entirely too trusting of what people tell you (not likely given your track record) or you just found a component which uses engine oil and made up a story about it needing special oil (if any one who knows their ass from a hole in the ground wants to correct me, please do so). Did you bother checking the label of this "some German brand" oil to see if it was in fact different in any way to what is available in the states?, googletranslate is an excellent tool to aid in this.

Wasn't the main reason you didn't install your performance chip that you couldn't find where to plug it in? .

I hate on people to need a good hatin', this I will admit freely.

True, you've not actually said that you're loaded, you just talk about ridiculously over priced maintenance or repairs that you could do if you needed too, say, as a result of finding the intake air temp sensor and installing your $70 resistor.

Your "awesome M3" really doesn't impress me very much, considering there are only three blurry as hell, probably cell phone, pictures of it. And it's sitting on ugly as sin, too big, chrome wheels.

My car on the other hand cost well under KBB, had a recently rebuilt tranny, and has an engine that has been taken care of since it was new, and still pulls as if it were.

The fact that you trashed a 3 series reflects much more poorly on you as a driver than on the car, any thing can be broken, but it takes a special kind of ignorance to break an M50 based engine, I assume the car you're referring to is the 328I in your profile album with two damaged valves, what did you do?, try engine breaking from 70 by putting it in 2nd at idle?.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
Miles, dont get drawn into it... I've learned to resist arguing with internet people that cant spell worth a damn and think chrome looks good on anything.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:57 PM
I like pie.

Yeah.... I spent a minute with my mouse over the post button wondering if I should do it.... Probably made a bad call, but it was that or do homework.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 AM

like i said the previous owner imported his oil from germany. it has vanos oil in the formula and he payed $85 for this oil per change. This same guy is also selling a meticulus e46 M3.. i didnt have 20k laying around so i bought his e36. this guys had a ton of cars. classic porsches and ferraris and idky hes selling his bmws... most like the depreciation and considering his collection they were most likely just taking up space that he probably wants to fill w brand new cars. Again when i get my car back in the next cpl days ill let u know the brand and show a pic of the oil and u can feel like the red headed stepchild when ur slapped with "proof"
Old 04-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Dr Jim & his Bim

Mein Auto: BMW 323i 1999 2004 X3 2.1
Smile $$$ Oll

I'm using good old fashion 5w-3w synthetic Castrol in a 1999 323ic with 150,000 –burns no oil –runs like a top. I think you're over spending with the imported oil. But to be kind check the 'specs' and see if there is a significant difference if there is not use your savings from "local oil" then buy some ramps a bucket and change the sucker your self –more often with the $$$ you saved.

Last edited by jpmcguire; 04-06-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 AM

i my self havent had 2buy oil or change the oil... ive put 590mi on it since feb. 2011... it came with a fresh oil change an 6quats of imported oil and a filter so that in 5k more miles that i already have the same oil thats been going in2 the car for 116k mi..... lol trust me im down for saving.. idk but its 14bucks a quart, i did some mouse clicking an found redline synthetic 5w40 for 13 a quart but it didnt mention vanos.. so its not the right stuff... may b the german equivalence to castrol tws thats 12 a quart

Last edited by license2chill; 04-06-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 98 BMW 328i
I pay 100 dollars every oil change as well. Dont know why but thats always what I get charged. Thats full service though. They vacuum the inside, clean the windows, replace all fluids, oil change and replace filter and gasket.

I put in 10W-30. Works like a charm here in sunny FL

Last edited by Redbull36; 04-07-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Sometimes Out To Lunch!!!

Mein Auto: 1993 318i 1994 325i 1998
Holy crap this oil thing is a really good read!!!!! Anyone that pay's $100 for an oil change is just flat out lazy really or just stupid. Thats just my own opinion. I have found in my experience that people that brag about all the high dollar stuff, have low self esteem and need to brag about having the best or being the one upper or saying all the stuff they have is better than yours just to make themselves feel better. DON'T WASTE MY TIME!!!! When we are stripped of everthing we have no one person is better than the next. So quit going back and forth about stupid shyt just keep on point with good information NO BS!!!

Ok now with that being said how is everyone doing?

Last edited by Time2Fly; 04-22-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Warm Leatherette

Yeah, paying $100 for an oil service is insane, but whatever. I never understood why more people don't change their own oil, since it's barely more difficult than putting air in your tires. The dude above talking about imported oil with VANOS additives is a confirmed idiot with no BMW experience, so his comments should be disregarded.

Anyhow, everything is going well here in Seattle. My first track day at Pacific Raceways (or "SIR" for you ) is coming up next week, so I'm excited about that.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 04-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Sometimes Out To Lunch!!!

Mein Auto: 1993 318i 1994 325i 1998
Anyhow, everything is going well here in Seattle. My first track day at Pacific Raceways (or "SIR" for you ) is coming up next week, so I'm excited about that.[/QUOTE]

Are you driving you bimmer? The one in the picture?
Old 04-22-2011, 12:18 PM
hookersandblow

Send a message via AIM to Moeman10
Mein Auto: 1992 325is
I'm sure he will be, and god this thread almost got derailed

But yeah, In case you guys were wondering, I was the one who flagged his posts and PM'd Tim about banning him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Warm Leatherette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Fly View Post
Are you driving you bimmer? The one in the picture?
Yep, I'll be driving the car in my signature photo below.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 04-22-2011, 01:25 PM
I feed trolls

Mein Auto: 3 series
Time to go change Bettys oil... I was running unknown from PO with a little seafoam, then dino for 1k (to finish cleaning the gunk the seafoam may have loosened), and now I'm putting in Castrol fully synthetic. Id be using mobil one, but farm and fleet didnt have any. And since I probably will only track her one or two times on this oil, I'm not too concerned

RIP Ben "Jever" Doebele, we wont forget you

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates, it needs a CUMMINS!!

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Cummins, cab swap, 5 speed, and lots of motor work. 20 MPG, 40 PSI, 507 ft/lbs torque
Old 04-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Just living MY dream

Mein Auto: 1995 M3 Boston Green
FWIW my car seems to "loose" mobil one (not burning, maybe evaporating?) So I have been using Rotella T6 5w40 with great results. Its a diesel oil and has lots of detergents in it, I have noticed cleaner cams in the couple times I've had the valve cover off. Also, it seems more quiet at startup especially in the morning.

Member #2 of the Boston Green Mafia BMW-CCA #457574

1995 BG M3 2000 TiAg 4.4l X5

-I do the things today that others won't do, so I will have the things tomorrow that other won't have....
Old 06-03-2011, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 318is
Hi there Gentlemen
Great discussion here for those of us that are intending to DIY oil & filter change after the BMW guaranty has been expired.
I own a 1997 e36 318is/M44 which has been in my garage for a while since the lack off power was an issue to me, like to mention that this car has up to date only 34,000 Kilometer/21,250 Miles. It is a German version car without Catalyze.
As a regular procedure a have taken the car to the local Authorized BMW dealer once a year for maintenance, just to be on the safe side and keep it in optimum conditions. I have owned BMW brand since my 17 birthday in 1976 when my parents gave me a 2002tii. Usually change my BMW’s every 4 years but in the case of this one I plan to keep it for ever since it remained me my first 2002tii, I guess it has to see with nostalgia.
About 2 years back y personally installed a Downing Atlanta Supercharge system to her and the power went very high in performance and it brought back my enthusiasm to drive it more frequently, since it is so much fun to drive now. It has been @ 5,000 Km/3,125miles since her last oil/filter service and as I mentioned earlier I am planning to do this myself. The BMW garage has been using BMW Super Power Oil SEA 5W-40 BMW Longlife-98 ACEA: A3/B4/B4 on her since the beginning and I am wondering if use this same oil or swap to another one, perhaps something with new technology up to date product.
Can any of you please provide me with recommendations on this; should I keep using the same OEM product or go for a new one?
Advance thank you for the broad suggestion, all them would be welcome.
Cheers