Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

Old 10-18-2010, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 740iL
94 740iL - Transmission fill? GEAR?

Hello,
I drive a 1994 740iL with the "LIFETIME FILL" A5S 760Z Transmission.

I need to add some fluid, I have the proper fluid, know where it is filled, and how to fill it except for ONE MAJOR FACT . When topping it off during the fill I need to find out ----what position the transmission needs to be in when checking for the proper level (with engine running, and correct fluid temperature etc) I realize it will overflow at the proper fill level.

But is that when transmission is in Drive, Neutral, or Park?

The Bentley Service Manual does NOT specify a TRANSMISSION LEVER GEAR POSITION to place car in when refilling/checking for the proper fluid level and I do not have access to a real BMW shop manual. I have 103,000 miles on the car and I have a "Transmission" warning light on. The Bently Service manual suggests the problem is due to low fluid. I do see evidence of a small leak at the front of the case.

So guys please tall me , What position to place the transmission gear level in?
Thanks, and where is the E 32 forum located?

Thanks,
Joe
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Old Fogey

Mein Auto: BMW '95 840
BMW pdf I found says to check level in Park after running thru each gear-(pausing in each one to fill the passages)- then pulling the plug while in in Park with the AC on to raise the idle.

PDF is too big to attach.
'98 740i
'00 Range Rover Vitesse
www.wuffer.net
www.8coupe.com
www.8er.org
Old 10-19-2010, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 740iL
Thank you

GREAT Thanks alot!
Joe