Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 PM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Top View Camera

I understand the X3 will have a top view camera. How the hell can they do that?



I don't get it. Can anyone explain? Does a camera take pictures than recreate a simulation or is it some satellite thing? I don't get it.

Has anyone had any experience with one of these?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-20-2010, 03:08 AM
ihumphrey ihumphrey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dayton, OH
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 559
Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
how it works

the car uses the side mounted cameras (i think in the mirrors and such) to create a view from above and then superimposes the car onto this constructed view giving you the "top view". It is a nice feature for parking in tight spaces.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-20-2010, 03:40 PM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihumphrey View Post
the car uses the side mounted cameras (i think in the mirrors and such) to create a view from above and then superimposes the car onto this constructed view giving you the "top view". It is a nice feature for parking in tight spaces.
Cool. It sounds like a lot of guessing. Have you seen one first hand?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Tlon Tlon is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Falls Church, VA
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 300
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
Cool. It sounds like a lot of guessing. Have you seen one first hand?
I've seen it in action on an X5. It's pretty cool, actually. It looks great, almost like they've zoomed in from a satellite.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 AM
pilotman pilotman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rochester
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,374
Mein Auto: e46, X3
what a useless piece of technology...

if you can't judge distances well enough to park a vehicle....then you shouldn't be driving.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Huey52 Huey52 is offline
Registered User
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: X3 (in 2011)
^ LOL Well, my 20+ year old daughter could sure use one so as not to curb rash her rims - but I do agree in principle.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-21-2010, 01:17 PM
cubed cubed is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: bronx, ny
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 659
Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
no its not useless. To me its a great application of technology. More information is good. Especially if you have kiddies or pets.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-21-2010, 02:14 PM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
I've seen it in action on an X5. It's pretty cool, actually. It looks great, almost like they've zoomed in from a satellite.
Cool. You know I'm going to be temped to put a picture of a car in front of the camera to see what happens. I can't see how a camera can process depth perception.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-21-2010, 07:03 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,988
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
There are two small cameras mounted on the underside of the outside rearview mirrors. When the mirrors are in the normal position and PDC front is activated, there is a display on the iDrive screen. It is effective at getting your vehicle within the white lines. Not that it should be that hard in the first place.

Honestly, PDC sensors are sufficient for me, and I could even do without those.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Tlon Tlon is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Falls Church, VA
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 300
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
what a useless piece of technology...

if you can't judge distances well enough to park a vehicle....then you shouldn't be driving.
Sorry. Wasn't commenting on it's usefulness. I've driven for enough years without much of the "necessary" technology in cars these days, but that still doesn't mean the implementation isn't well done. It is. And if you've ever seen the bumpers of cars in a major city, clearly you'd know that some people can use this kind of thing. Just like the rest of us can use those useless seat belts to help us when we are unfortunate enough to encounter those people on the road.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-21-2010, 09:51 PM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
There are two small cameras mounted on the underside of the outside rearview mirrors. When the mirrors are in the normal position and PDC front is activated, there is a display on the iDrive screen. It is effective at getting your vehicle within the white lines. Not that it should be that hard in the first place.

Honestly, PDC sensors are sufficient for me, and I could even do without those.
Again, thanks.

You are one of the most informed posters. You still never answered my question about Rear Entertainment that I was hoping you would answer under the accessories thread. I saw something that said the Rear users could surf the internet if the Rear Entertainment system was ordered. I doubt they would have that in the US since the RES is a dealer option.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-22-2010, 07:24 AM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,988
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
Again, thanks.

You are one of the most informed posters. You still never answered my question about Rear Entertainment that I was hoping you would answer under the accessories thread. I saw something that said the Rear users could surf the internet if the Rear Entertainment system was ordered. I doubt they would have that in the US since the RES is a dealer option.
BMW hasn't developed a Rear Entertainment System for the new X3 yet. I don't see it as an option in the Configurator nor in the German Accessory catalogue.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-22-2010, 02:39 PM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
BMW hasn't developed a Rear Entertainment System for the new X3 yet. I don't see it as an option in the Configurator nor in the German Accessory catalogue.
Oh wow...you have the accessory catalog? Is there anything cool in there? I assumed the RES would be in the accessory catalog. I like the one they originally had (that I have) which was in the head rest. It doesn't take up any rear legroom or obstruct your sight.

In the accessories thread I have posted a quote which has BMW talking about internet for rear passengers in cars that have the RES. I assumed the technology would be passed on. Have you seen rear internet for any other type of BMW through the RES?

Maybe they're saving that for 2012...gotta have something new...lol
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Evlengr's Avatar
Evlengr Evlengr is offline
Ukemi - that's how I roll
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,252
Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
They missed the boat on this one as a nice screen with a swivel mount could have easily been incorporated into the drop down armrest with a small SSD hard drive to reduce shock and give instant access to hundreds if not thousands of videos.
__________________
2013 S4 Loaded (and NO RFT's) Awesome is an understatement
2008 MT X3 RIP you were a faithful sidekick and will be missed.
2007 AT X3 RIPOS
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-25-2010, 09:26 PM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
They missed the boat on this one as a nice screen with a swivel mount could have easily been incorporated into the drop down armrest with a small SSD hard drive to reduce shock and give instant access to hundreds if not thousands of videos.
Nice humor. lol
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Evlengr's Avatar
Evlengr Evlengr is offline
Ukemi - that's how I roll
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,252
Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
Nice humor. lol
Actually no humor intended. I am working on a design for it now. They bent over backwards to put all sorts of other silly frivilous things in the new X3 why not an entertainment system.

Backing up monitors are a good example.

Most people that buy the X3 (gen X'ers) want an M class or the like, but have to be pratical due to family concerns, so we split the difference and get the "Family Race Car". The X3 is born.

So I currently place a small portable DVD player wtih velcro on the armrest for my daughter on long trips (we try not to "plug her in") like so many other parents, but it is a nice addition and commensurate with all the other add ons to this vehicle.
__________________
2013 S4 Loaded (and NO RFT's) Awesome is an understatement
2008 MT X3 RIP you were a faithful sidekick and will be missed.
2007 AT X3 RIPOS
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 10-25-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-26-2010, 01:44 AM
ihumphrey ihumphrey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dayton, OH
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 559
Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
ipad doc another option

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
BMW hasn't developed a Rear Entertainment System for the new X3 yet. I don't see it as an option in the Configurator nor in the German Accessory catalogue.
I actually really liked the ipad bracket they showed on the F25 at the paris auto show. This would be far less than 2K to integrate something and can be removed for when you don't want it. Even with the ipad it would be under 1K.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/201...pedx3ipad2.jpg

Last edited by ihumphrey; 10-26-2010 at 01:45 AM. Reason: image
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-26-2010, 06:39 AM
pault pault is offline
Registered User
Location: Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 328xi E90
Does anyone have any knowledge of thoughts on the difference between option 3AG - Rear View Camera and 3AH - Rear View Camera with Top View (which is part of the ZTP Technology Package)

3AG - Rear View Camera is $400 and listed as a separate option and does not indicate it's included in an package options.

So, is it the better/different/same as 3AH - Rear View Camera with Top View?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-26-2010, 12:28 PM
yikes98 yikes98 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 111
Mein Auto: e36, e92, e70, e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
what a useless piece of technology...

if you can't judge distances well enough to park a vehicle....then you shouldn't be driving.
To each his own I guess. I was in the rental yard backing up to hook up a trailer to my X5 and there was a real old crusty dude in a F250 parked parallel to the trailer mount (wait his turn to unload something i guess). Though I've trailered many thing in the past without a cam, using the cams and I placed the ball right under on the ball mount in the 1st shot. He said nice job. I said thanks and laughed under my breath. (Not useless!)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-26-2010, 01:54 PM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Actually no humor intended. I am working on a design for it now. They bent over backwards to put all sorts of other silly frivilous things in the new X3 why not an entertainment system.

Backing up monitors are a good example.

Most people that buy the X3 (gen X'ers) want an M class or the like, but have to be pratical due to family concerns, so we split the difference and get the "Family Race Car". The X3 is born.

So I currently place a small portable DVD player wtih velcro on the armrest for my daughter on long trips (we try not to "plug her in") like so many other parents, but it is a nice addition and commensurate with all the other add ons to this vehicle.
Oh...I see what you mean.

My car has the one in the head rests. The DVD player in inside that armrest. They removed the storage department and left a smaller storage next to the DVD player. It sends a signal to both 7" screens.

I like those better because they don't get in the way.

Under the accessories thread, I included the current available options. I think they have moved away from the head rest one to a flip up one behind the seats.

The flaw to the one I have is they didn't have American connectors (RCA, etc). They have this single cord European thing. They have parts you can order but it would be tacky hanging and it would go to each monitor separately. They need to come up with something you can attach to the DVD player itself so it comes on both monitors.

One thing to consider is in the next few years we will be moving more and more towards Blueray. It would be better if they would make the DVD player Blueray capable or at least be able to downconvert the Blueray signal. Nobody needs 1080p on 7 inch monitors.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-26-2010, 02:44 PM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihumphrey View Post
I actually really liked the ipad bracket they showed on the F25 at the paris auto show. This would be far less than 2K to integrate something and can be removed for when you don't want it. Even with the ipad it would be under 1K.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/201...pedx3ipad2.jpg
It looks cool but I wondered about encouraging thieves by leaving it there.

It still doesn't have the same movie function.

1. There needs to be a way to get the same DVD signal to both I-pads. Some kind of wire that could be plugged into both without looking tacky would be ideal. Wireless would be awesome.

2. There is the issue of sound. With the RES there are 2 headsets the rear viewers can wear.

If it cannot cover the above 2, then it seems gimmicky to have it mounted because you could just hide it and pull it out for someone to use on his/her lap.

Maybe in the future the above 2 can be solved.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms