Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
Ventilated seats

I'm from the UK and have a 535d MSport on order and can't make up my mind if I should go with ventilated seats or not. I have a few days to make changes if I want to. My main concern is that the perforations in the Nappa Leather may cause premature wear. Does anyone have any experience of this? Is the ventilation option worthwhile? How does it work? How does it differ to 'normal' heated seats? What about the oscillating function? Anyone know what this is like?

Thanks,

John.
Ads by Google
Old 10-18-2010, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i sport
its basically a fan that directs air at your back and seat. I have it. The leather is of standard bmw quality. I wouldnt see it getting dirty or wearing fast if you take proper care of it. It makes a difference on hot days but if your not a fan of being cool you can save a few bucks.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:17 PM

Ah - so it's more of a cooling than a heating thing then? Are your seats Nappa or Dacota? I went for Nappa but keep hearing the leather is not so hard wearing hence my concern.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i
The ZAV package does also include a heating function, but the perforations have no impact on that part. Heated seats are heated seat, ZAV or not. The perforations are only needed for the cooling function, which is for moving air through the seat. The cooling is very subtle. If you are in a climate where it doesn't get so hot in the summer months, its probably not worth the extra cost. However, I do feel the Nappa leather is worth splurging for.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
I think ventilated seats are meant more for Texas...Saudi Arabia...Australia...or Italy.How often does it get above 75 degrees in Britain? Twice a year?

Fuelly
Old 10-20-2010, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 11 535i
I believe each of the front seats has 9 small fans which blow ambient cabin air through the perforated sections of the seats. Whether it is hot or cold depends on the cabin temp. (The heated seat function is different). There are 3 fan speed settings. Even at the highest speed the effect is very subtle, although you can hear the fans.
As for the oscillating thing, I guess you are referring to the seat massage function. I guess it is OK, but it really feels creepy... sort of a semi-solid lump moving through your underwear.

I like the look of the perforated seats, but of all the options I got, this one is my least favorite.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:34 AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Here in the UK we may get 2 weeks of 'hot' weather a year. From how you guys describe the operation of the ventilated seats, I don't think their function will be that beneficial here. I was considering the option though for the look. Trouble is the UK dealers only ever get basic spec cars in to drive, so I have no chance of actually seeing one with ventilated seats. I couldn't even drive a car with adaptive drive because no one has one! I went with it in the end due to comments I read on here. If I did go with ventilated seats my main concern is that the perforations in the leather might cause weakness and may cause premature wear. On the other hand it may hide the creasing as the car gets older. Really not sure what to do on this one!

Last edited by BimmerUKF10; 10-21-2010 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Typo!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:54 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerUKF10 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Here in the UK we may get 2 weeks of 'hot' weather a year. From how you guys describe the operation of the ventilated seats, I don't think their function will be that beneficial here. I was considering the option though for the look. Trouble is the UK dealers only ever get basic spec cars in to drive, so I have no chance of actually seeing one with ventilated seats. I couldn't even drive a car with adaptive drive because no one has one! I went with it in the end due to comments I read on here. If I did go with ventilated seats my main concern is that the perforations in the leather might cause weakness and may cause premature wear. On the other hand it may hide the creasing as the car gets older. Really not sure what to do on this one!
I would get it. I have had ventilated seats on my cars for a couple of years. It doesn't affect the durability of the seats, but it looks a lot better.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 10-21-2010, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
The seats look spectacular with perforated leather. It works well on hot days. However its value is marginal. It depends on your budget.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 10-21-2010, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 5.0
Living in Texas I seriously looked at the ventilated seats, the dealer 550 I test drove had them and as others have said here the air coming through is subtle, while they probably would help here when it's 100+ outside I decided against them,

I like the look of them, but without the real cooling effect I couldn't justifty the cost. The other thing I was concerned about was the possibility that it would be easier for tears to develop in the leather between perforations.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
MB has been using perforated leather seat for decades with no accelerated wear to date. Most other manufacturers have them as well. I personally much prefer the look of the perforations. As far as the performance I will say my S550 is very subtle, I would prefer more cooling. I don't have my 550ix yet, but I ordered them. I wish it was like my Escalade where there is noticable cooling going on...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 10-21-2010, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerUKF10 View Post
There is basically a fan in the seats that doesnt do a whole lot in my opinion. It will blow air through the seats but its not heated air or air conditioned air, its just the air around you so it wont feel particularly cool or warm.

You would be better off passing on that and getting the softer nappa leather or another option or just save the money altogether. Its not worth it.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:19 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanesq View Post
There is basically a fan in the seats that doesnt do a whole lot in my opinion. It will blow air through the seats but its not heated air or air conditioned air, its just the air around you so it wont feel particularly cool or warm.

You would be better off passing on that and getting the softer nappa leather or another option or just save the money altogether. Its not worth it.
+1. Got the ventilated seats for our X5. Doesn't do much in cooling and is pretty loud when on. The perforated seats look good, but do collect dirt here and there. Takes more time to keep clean. Plus you'll have to be extra careful not to spill liquids that get through the holes. If I had to do it, I'd take that money and go with Nappa in a heartbeat. BMW Nappa is very nice and much more durable than MB. I initially went against nappa because we had it with ventialted seats in our MB S550. It wasn't until later that I actually sat and felt the BMW nappa where I realized it definitely wasn't the same, but better.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 535d
I've just swapped an E60 535d MSport with ventilated seats for an F10 535d MSport without.

Ventilated seats was the only option I didn't carry over from the old car.

I found it failrly ineffective - I spend several months in Southern France, and it didn't do that much to improve comfort.

The fans were quite noisy.

The leather stood up well to wear ( 54 months, 110000 miles ) but the perforations proved to be a magnet for spills - my son managed to leave evidence of chocolate, coke and other unmentionable things in the perforations that no matter how much Autoglym leather cleaner I used would not disappear.

Overall I would choose another option instead for the money.

Other options I would recommend - Active ride is brilliant, makes run flats almost acceptable, surround view really helps parking in narrow spaces, and speed limit display really helps if you drive abroad a bit and don't know the local speed limits.

I'm assuming that you are going for comfort seats as you are looking at seat ventilation....the seats are worth every penny.

Toys....Active Cruise with Stop and Go is amazing, HUD is really cool as well.

Hope this helps
Old 10-22-2010, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Do we have a option to display speed limits in here(USA)?
What is active ride?
Is it adaptive drive ?

Looks like Europe version has better options
Old 10-22-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
Do we have a option to display speed limits in here(USA)?
What is active ride?
Is it adaptive drive ?
Sorry I am little confused :-)
no speed limit display in US (I used it in Germany with a German version of the F10 and it worked very well, but my US version did not have this feature either in Germany or the US)

The Dynamic Handling Package has active roll stabilization and electronic damping which change the chassis characteristics. In Sport or Sport+ mode the throttle response and shift points are more aggressive. (Actually in Sport, you can select a more aggressive chassis, drivetrain, or both). It is also possible to get a Sport option on the drivetrain without the DHP. So, no need to apologize...it is very confusing.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 535d
Sorry, Adaptive Drive = Active Ride....

Spped limit display uses the GPS plus a camera looking for speed limit signs, then displays the speed limit in the dash display and in the HUD; it's very accurate in the UK, for instance wherever we have roadworks on fast roads the speed limit is temporarily reduced, and is often enforced with average speed detection cameras ( they measure you over a fixed distance ), so knowing what limit you are driving in can sometimes be a bit unclear!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
That is really a good option why the heck we don't have that option
We have rest of the crap why not this? Any technical difficulties for implementing this option in USA?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
We have rest of the crap why not this? Any technical difficulties for implementing this option in USA?
I read somewhere (?) that the US speed limit signs are not standardized. In any event, I know from experience that US spec F10's do NOT recognize speed signs in Germany, so they must have left this off of the US cars.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:48 AM

Thanks all - that's really helpful!

I've decided to give the ventilated seats a miss. Cerbera - I was also unsure about the adaptive drive, but I'm going for that now. There are absolutely no cars anywhere with this option to test drive. Just debating over the Active Steering now... :-)
Old 10-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
There is easy way to do this, as it is already implemented on a $150 Garmin. Just include speed limit data with the map database. In fact, BMW could do that with existing Navigation systems if they wanted to.

I love my Idrive system and would buy it again anyday. But, this is one nice feature it is missing.