Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
Active steering - is it any good.

I've ordered a 535d with adaptive drive, but don't know if I should have ordered the active steering. There are unfortunately no demo cars anywhere for me to drive with this option. Does anyone here have knowledge of this option?
Ads by Google
Old 10-21-2010, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2011 550i
Well this is a little bit of the blind leading the deaf. I recently ordered a 550i with active steering. I could not locate a demo vehicle with the feature either. I did do an extensive review of the test reports/reviews of the vehicle with and without this option. The consensus of the reports I read is that it improves the handling and responsiveness of the vehicle. These are views expressed by those who drove the vehicle with and without active steering back to back. In addition, those that have it and have commented seem to strongly support its value. Finally, I talked with some people inside BMW and took a hard look at the technical literature. The BMW insiders indicated it improved the sporting character and responsiveness of the car and recommended it. The technical literature describing how it works is impressive. The system is in its second generation implementation, at least. So I decided to take the plunge.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
What type of driving do you normally do? It's not really worth it for primarily urban applications and makes wheel alignments much more complex and costly. On the other hand, these technologies show their worth on empty roads and country roads.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
I ordered it on mine and really like it. I drove two identically equipped vehicles, on with and one without AIS back to back at a dealer before deciding. At low speeds and in tight places like a parking lot, it really comes in handy. It improves the turning radius substantially for U-turns. At high speeds, it makes lane changes and other quick moves more agile. On twisty roads with decreasing radius turns it makes the car feel smaller and more nimble.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
I had the old active steering on my '06 650i and really liked it even in the two wheel version. It's not available with my 550i xDrive so I couldn't get it but I would have had it been. I'm glad to see that people who have it think it makes the handling quicker and more responsive at both low and high speeds.

Many on this blog have complained that the electric assisted steering on the RWD F10 lacks sportiness and that BMW is not making an F10 for "enthusiasts". It seems that none of these complaints have come from people who have a car with the IAS or read a review of a car with the IAS. The IAS seems to have been designed specifically by BMW for the enthusiasts who want a "sportier" F10.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
What type of driving do you normally do? It's not really worth it for primarily urban applications and makes wheel alignments much more complex and costly. On the other hand, these technologies show their worth on empty roads and country roads.
I drove a 535i with it and I completely disagree with this statement. I found it really good at low speeds and makes parking and turning much easier. I didn't like it at higher speeds though felt a little quirky I guess would be the best word I can think of. I didn't order it because if I was gonna get it it would be for winding roads and I didn't like it for that. Very useful for low speed maneuvers though.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexx View Post
I ordered it on mine and really like it. I drove two identically equipped vehicles, on with and one without AIS back to back at a dealer before deciding. At low speeds and in tight places like a parking lot, it really comes in handy. It improves the turning radius substantially for U-turns. At high speeds, it makes lane changes and other quick moves more agile. On twisty roads with decreasing radius turns it makes the car feel smaller and more nimble.
I drove several cars in my quest to find out exactly what I needed to order on mine. Two of them with Integral Active Steering and I completely agree with the statement above, especially the part about the car feeling smaller and more nimble. The U turn radius is just terrific for such a large car. If you don't mind the price go ahead and order it. It became a must order item for me after I drove the cars equipped with it.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
If I recall correctly, there are reviewers who say that IAS somewhat numbs the steering. Any views?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
If I recall correctly, there are reviewers who say that IAS somewhat numbs the steering. Any views?
Yes, I have a view. If you think the regular steering without IAS is numb, then this one is just as numb - no more, no less. It just turns in quicker and turns more with a smaller input on the steering wheel. Around a curve it has an effect very similar to the SH-AWD that Acura uses and the Sport Differential that Audi uses on the S4 where they can distribute the torque from side to side to the rear wheels. If you have driven either one of those cars you will know what I mean, otherwise it's hard to describe it with a few words. Let me just say that the car is happier staying in the turn where you put it, and there is less pull towards the outer side of the curve you are negotiating.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Mr. Magic

Mein Auto: 2001 330i and 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexx View Post
+1. Same experience here after 5,500 miles.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sophisto/Oyster
Best part of IAS is 1 on u-turns and 2 at speed on freeway when the car becomes nice and tight. Otherwise effect in city is negligible.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
For low speed maneuvers it's quite good, but I don't really notice any difference at higher speeds. The steering on cars with and without IAS feels artificial and numb, much like a Lexus. I ordered it without actually trying it first hoping that it would improve the steering feel and I don't think it does. I would save your money or get a different option like the ventilated seats or HUD.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i Sport
Does anyone know if IAS if offered on the F10 528i? It does not appear as an option for this model on the BMW USA website.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrboy2008 View Post
Does anyone know if IAS if offered on the F10 528i? It does not appear as an option for this model on the BMW USA website.
The Intergral Active Steering can be paired with any model except xDrive models in Germany. Likely BMW NA does not see a demand for the option in the base models, so they probably dropped it.

Honestly, I don't see any additional cost in production to making an option available on a lower model line, but I guess they know better.