Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
Order individual option from package?

Searching failed me...

Is it possible to order an option from a package individually? For example - homelink mirror from the premium package.
Ads by Google
Old 10-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Hill *****ry Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 98 Z3
Not if you reside in North America! If you want an item that is in a particular package, you must order the entire package. The folks in Europe have more flexibility than those of us in the USA and Canada. I'm sure others have requested BMW NA open up the options to better meet with our individual needs, but like my written request to the President/CEO, could not get past the customer service rep. I would encourage you and others to make the request anyway - maybe one of the letters will actual be given to the chief executive instead of being killed off by a low-level CSR.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:47 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Some package items are available as stand-alone options, like heated seats, navigation, etc. Check the brochure or the build-your-own configurator to check. Though the option you want is not available separately.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 10-21-2010, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 5.0
Along those same lines it would be nice if you were able to delete items from a package as well.

I have Premium Package 2 on my 550, but could care less about the satelite radio or rear sunscreens
Old 10-21-2010, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i
I think BMW has addressed this and continue to do so as their market analysis directs them to. It seems over the years many option (as a previous posted stated) have been added under options. Many are also found in packages. Use the BYO and just select packages, then when you go to the options page, look how many individual options are suddenly checked for you as they are in one of your packages. In the end, as most things are, its about pricing, profits and efficiencies. Some we like, some we don't, its totally measured on an individual basis. Economies of scale. If everything became so broken out, I would foresee pricing for many of these options actually going up. I certainly understand people want to select and build a car with only the options they want, so they feel they didn't pay for something they didn't want. But a couple of options that add up to maybe $1000 or $1500 on a $60k+ car really that much of an irritant? If so, maybe another manufacturer may offer you a better alternative.

Power is in numbers. With that said, people who feel strongly about this issue or others, write in. Going unheard or never to the horses mouth does nothing.
1999 323i
Old 10-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Hill *****ry Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 98 Z3
Provide ability to selectively order individual items

I agree. The OP wanted an item that can't be ordered without getting the all of the other items contained within the package. In my case, I did not want the parking assistant function, but did want lane departure warning (contained in Package ZDA). If I were based in Europe, I could have ordered this separately; however, I am in the USA and BMW NA denied my written request to order this item separately. As a result, my 9/16/2010 European-delivered 535i, which is enroute via Dream Diva as I write this, contains the Package ZDA, not just the lane departure warning. The point is that the U.S. buyer should have the same options as are available to the buyer who lives in Europe -- and we do not. PERIOD.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i on order
From what I've read on here and other boards the fact that bmwna limits the individual options and even excludes some(msport suspension being a huge example) allows the to receive better pricing and in turn allows us to purchase bmw's at significantly lower prices than almost anywhere else. Not sure how true this is but it may console you abit when you have to buy the whole package vs the option you want.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
The homelink mirror you can order from your dealer's parts department and they can just do a swap. Think the mirror was about $200.00 when I bought my 08.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crmgr View Post
The homelink mirror you can order from your dealer's parts department and they can just do a swap. Think the mirror was about $200.00 when I bought my 08.
The prices on the Homelink mirrors have gone up. I considered upgrading the mirror in my '06 Z4 recently and the parts desk quoted $650 or so. At that price I would be paranoid to leave the car for 5 minutes with the top down.