Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: '02 745i
Lightbulb DIY - Faded pillars?

Ok, so my pillars and mirror housings were faded and scratched on my '02 745I and I wasn't about to spend $75+ on stupid carbon fiber stickers, when i just wanted a new clean look. So, this is what I did:
Prepped the area by taping all around what I was about to paint,
The mirror covers just pop off with a slight pull,
Used acetone on a clean rag to remove any grease or wax from the surface,
Sprayed sweeping vertical strokes of Krylon Black Gloss - Plastic Bonding paint,
Dried the newly painted area immediately with a hair dryer on cool to prevent bubbling or drips.
And Voila. All done, and they look brand new. If you don't like the gloss, you can use Black Satin, it will give a creamier look but not as shiny.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ads by Google
Old 10-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Freedom isnt free!

Mein Auto: 745i
Lightbulb better yet...

Thanks for the great info. if i may add one thing, i have had similar problem in the past with my 02 745i and while searching for the ideas i've came across to a product called "black again" - no offense - and what it does is that it rejuvenates the neglected black surfaces on the exterior of the car. I would highly recommend everyone to use this $4.99 product before getting yourselves into a bigger project.you will absolutely see an immediate difference by the first coat but it will reach to a perfection by the 3rd or the 4th application.
Closed Thread