Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: Expedition
I have to add my .02 cents here--

I just "invented" the hot/cold control arm fix -- or so I thought. You guys are years ahead of me! I should've checked here first, it would've saved me an hour figuring out how to get to all that stuff.

When I finally DID get access to it all, the assembly sort of fell apart in my hands and I had to reach down in there to find the loose pieces. I just about had a panic attack. I could hear the cash register ringing at Roadshow BMW in Memphis. After about 10 minutes of studying and playing with the loose parts I got a "vision" of how it was supposed to work and how I could fix it back. I'm sure they wouldn't have touched this job for less than $1000. They are notorious.

My variation was a little bit different, I drilled a tiny hole where the broken off pin used to be. Then I pushed through a finishing nail that had a fairly rounded and smooth head. Then I used some cutters to nip off the sharp end of the nail so that it could be pushed back through and "flush" on the backside (not that it mattered much).

My end result looks very similar to 98FLSTC's picture in post #72 above. I'm sure mine doesn't glide as smoothly in that groove, and I'll probably have to buy a complete replacement panel at some point in the future. But for right now in October I expect that it will get me through at least one winter.

This is a FANTASTIC site. I spent a lot of time on Honda forums in the past. Those guys were good, but you have a much better place here.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
Drilling the heater control arm

I just acquired an '01 Z3 and the heater control arm ball/knob is broken as has been noted in several posts. Pulling the radio was easy, but how does one remove the plastic control arm so that it can be drilled for a new pin or ball stud?

Great posts, photos, and website!

thanks, Tom
Old 11-05-2010, 07:17 AM

Tom, I'll try to describe it to you, but if you feel around back there with your fingers you might be able to visualize how it all kind of "snaps together." I spent about 15 minutes just turning the dials and feeling back there letting my fingertips be my eyes until I had a mental picture.

After you've done that, take the knob off of the center control dial by pulling it toward you. You might want to carefully wedge a tiny flat-head screwdriver in there to pry it off a little bit, but it's not hard to just pull the knob off. DON'T FORCE IT, and DON'T SCRATCH ANYTHING. You don't have to man-handle anything here. It very gently comes apart. Then you can push the little pin that the knob attaches to forward through the hole and it will dangle loose behind the dash.

There are two wire cables connecting to the backside of that assembly (to the "arms" that attach to the dials). You kind of have to turn the dials manually from behind the dash to get them to an angle where the cables kind of slip out of a groove. You don't have to remove the entire assembly (big white plastic thing) just that one dial and what attaches to it. The only little piece that you need to perform surgery on is the "elbow" of the greenish plastic arm. The arm attaches to the assembly at the "shoulder" and the cable attaches at the "wrist".

One thing I can't emphasize enough is that when you drill the hole, go small and be perfectly vertical. Any angle at all can mess you up and you certainly don't want the hole to be too big.

I'm sorry I can't do a better job of describing this to you, but trust me when I say that if I can do it, it must not be very difficult. Just make sure you remember how everything fits back together before you take it apart. In the picture above, they didn't even have to remove the dial like I did. Those arms will just slip off of their connecting pins (at the "shoulder") but I wasn't smart enough to figure that out!

Last edited by DogFather; 11-05-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
Thanks DogFather, that helps a great deal. I've been using a compact mirror to get a good look at the parts and cables until my ball stud parts arrive. I'll be sure not to force or scratch anything. Looking forward to saving $400!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:20 AM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFather View Post

but it's not hard to just pull the knob off. DON'T FORCE IT, and DON'T SCRATCH ANYTHING.
Hmmm, that wasn't my experience. In order to get to the bottom HVAC light, I removed all 3 knobs. On the first pull, each knob slightly moved. But, after that, those knobs would not move. I was very careful to pull straight out.

Finally, wedging a corner of an old credit card behind the knob and rotating the knob pushed the knob outward. Repeatedly wedging in more card and rotating the knob worked the knobs off.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFather View Post

I'm sorry I can't do a better job of describing this to you, but trust me when I say that if I can do it, it must not be very difficult. Just make sure you remember how everything fits back together before you take it apart. In the picture above, they didn't even have to remove the dial like I did. Those arms will just slip off of their connecting pins (at the "shoulder") but I wasn't smart enough to figure that out!

I just went through this on my 98 Z3 2.8. The RED arm goes all the way through the translucent and green arms and has tabs that hold the three arms together. You have to separate the white housing from the black control knob section to get to these tabs. If you do that, the top (red) and middle (translucent/white) arms will come free and then you can do the necessary work on the broken arm.

I lost the spring loaded catch on my temperature gauge in the process. It is down in the center console somewhere now... Oh well, at least I can go from cold to warm to hot, rather than cold/hot.

Thanks for the detailed posts and pictures here, this thread is a life saver!

Les
Old 10-16-2011, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW M Roadster 2000
Preparing to remove the panel on a 2000 M Roadster through the radio opening, may loosen/romove the passenger side kick panel. I can see that the fan selector switch is a pull-out electricl connection, see the three cable connected to the lever arms behind the temperature control guage, and see the disconnect on the air selector knob (electrical disconnect, right?). Question is, I cannot see how the cables are connected to the lever arms. By looking at other threads, it appears that the arms each have a round slot the some type of tab at the end of the cable fits int. Appears that I need to move the cable ehough to align the tab on the cable with the opeing on the lever arms, slide the tab through and out. ANyone got a picture of the cable end or advice on how to disconnect and reconnect the cables in a tight space? Thanks!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:28 PM

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I have something to add.

Two years ago, I performed a fix similar to the one described and pictured by 98FLSTC. My posts are still up there.

My solution was much more crude, and involved a nail with a fat, rounded head rather than the special "knob" type part he found. Mine worked great for two years, but last weekend it finally crapped out for good. I guess my drilling caused a crack? I dunno, I haven't opened it up yet.

Anyway, I went looking for BMW part #64118398937. The median price I found was $219. The lowest was $192 (but I'm not sure they really had it in stock) and the highest--you guessed it, from a REAL BMW DEALER was $515.

Then I checked ebaY!!!!

$86.27 shipped. They have three other assemblies listed at $150 OBO. It is certainly worth considering.

If someone were really smart, they'd figure out how to make a mold for just those little plastic arm thingys. For less than the price of one assembly you could probably manufacture 100 of them, and sell them for $50 each.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 AM
NYC Photog

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i
Red face Not Difficult

I just replaced the two bulbs on mine. Just remove the radio. My 2001 Z3 2.5 had the screws on the sides. Just remove them, pop the two tabs and you ready. The bulbs are in very tight. Needle nose pliers do the trick.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2x325xit bmw z3
Just did this repair on my 2001 Z3, big pita. However you do no need to remove the cable from the red arm. If you can pop out the red arm arm from the clips slide it back carefully and you will be able to move it enough to slide the translucent arm out for repair. Just make sure you secure the red arm somewhere so it does not fall and disconnect form the cable.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Roadster
Z3 Heater Control Panel

Hi Ron, I have 2001 Z3 Roadster 2.5, and the temperature control knob broke. Where can I get the part(s) to repair? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Received the backplate today. Comes with lamps and the blower switch.
Lamps are sure tight in place. Had to use long nose to get them out. Not sure how you would do this with it in the dash.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:23 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by respinosa View Post
Hi Ron, I have 2001 Z3 Roadster 2.5, and the temperature control knob broke. Where can I get the part(s) to repair? Thanks!
You say the knob broke, but likely you mean the control arm or some other part behind the knob itself.

Put your car's last 7 VI into RealOEM.com and look at the parts for temperature control. RealOEM says the 2.5 ended in 09/2000 so I assume you have a 2.5i.
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...56&hg=64&fg=20

It appears that you may have to buy the whole Base Plate (item 3 with PN 64118398937), which is why this DIY thread is about fixing just the control arm in the base plate.

If you do need that whole base plate part or any other part, go to BMW South Atlanta's site and enter the part number to look at photo and price:
http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...118398937.html
It is always good to know the actual part number and retail price of what you want.

Then you can see if another vendor has it cheaper, or search eBay for "bmw z3 climate control" and see less expensive new and used parts.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/6000/i.html?...ssories&_rdc=2

Last edited by vintage42; 11-20-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Roadster
Z3 Heater Control Panel

Thanks Vinatag42, that's exactly what I needed to know!