Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-03-2010, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Nissan Armada
HELP! 335i vs 335is & manual vs DCT

I need some serious help. I moved forward with my 335i coupe - space grey metallic, coral red leather, glacier alum trim, m package, navi, manual, etc. It is currently scheduled for production which means I can make changes - and since I'm a typical female, of course I'm contemplating making some changes.

Yesterday I saw that BMW is offering a $1500 credit so I'm thinking of going with the 335is and I'm also contemplating the dual clutch tranny.

I'm just looking for some honest feedback on which would be the best route. If I'm going to make any changes, they have to be soon because production will start any day now.

Thanks in advance.

~Jenn
Ads by Google
Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
If the price differential is doable, then by all means go for it. In case you didn't know, there are differences in the outside trim. With a black grill, black exhaust pipes, and gun metal grey wheels, your current choice of color may or may not work as well.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:19 AM

The mirrors are black as well - but I don't hate that look. I'm mostly just wondering if the extra cost (which isn't a problem) is worth it - a noticeable power difference? and if I go with the is, do I stick with the manual or spring for the dct (which there is also a credit for)?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustLust View Post
I need some serious help. I moved forward with my 335i coupe - space grey metallic, coral red leather, glacier alum trim, m package, navi, manual, etc. It is currently scheduled for production which means I can make changes - and since I'm a typical female, of course I'm contemplating making some changes.

Yesterday I saw that BMW is offering a $1500 credit so I'm thinking of going with the 335is and I'm also contemplating the dual clutch tranny.

I'm just looking for some honest feedback on which would be the best route. If I'm going to make any changes, they have to be soon because production will start any day now.

Thanks in advance.

~Jenn
The 7 Speed DCT will shift faster than your manual human hand shifts. A 335is is more expensive so the $1,500 discount won't save you much. I think your manual 335i e92 is a great car. If you are a super enthusiast and want the top of the line 3 series, and money is not an option the go for the 335is. I'm pretty sure you can even get Dinan to tune it further than 320hp if you want more power.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
Jenn,

IMO, since I have not driven the 335is,

"Power" is always worth it - as long as it is controllable and accessible
The auxiliary radiator and extra cooling that comes with this package - worth it
The performance exhausts with its slightly more aggressive but not obnoxious sound level -worth it.
The "is" badge has BMW history, and resale is generally higher - so worth it.

And the part you really want to know, I can't answer, other than those "hardcore" manual transmission folks think that the DCT is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I have driven a Ferrari California with the same DCT as in the current M3 (other than proprietary software, etc) and I was very impressed with how the DCT operated on the road.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4RIN View Post
The 7 Speed DCT will shift faster than your manual human hand shifts. A 335is is more expensive so the $1,500 discount won't save you much. I think your manual 335i e92 is a great car. If you are a super enthusiast and want the top of the line 3 series, and money is not an option the go for the 335is. I'm pretty sure you can even get Dinan to tune it further than 320hp if you want more power.
Also-- not sure if you're leasing or buying but if you're leasing BMW tends to adjust the money factors and/or residuals when they offer these credits and that tends to offset much of the benefit (in other words, the monthly cost will likely be very similar to what it was last month). I did notice that they upped the financing rate from .9 to 2.9 which probably wipes out the benefit of the 1500. So you really only get a benefit if yuo're paying cash.

http://nyccarblog.blogspot.com/
Old 11-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
If you plan to keep the car for the long haul, I'd be weary of the DCT as a repair nightmare past warranty. Of course, N54 is historically not on your side for reliability for the long haul.

Everything aside though, most seem to like the DCT a lot and it does shift better than you ever could. However, if you really like driving the manual, I figure you may miss the mechanics of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 11-04-2010, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4RIN View Post
You won't need Dinan or other aftermarket tuner devices for your 335is, as it's very good as is! Plus that tuner crap just erases your warranty.

The extra torque boost on this car really makes the difference.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW E93 335is; '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget

Last edited by beden1; 11-04-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:36 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
If you plan to keep the car for the long haul, I'd be weary of the DCT as a repair nightmare past warranty. Of course, N54 is historically not on your side for reliability for the long haul.
I realize this is a more complex system but isn't that an assumption on your part that you're passing onto the OP as fact?
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...
Old 11-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
The DCT is awesome and fast and probably reduces stress on the whole drivetrain with its perfect rev matching. Therefore, it might result in fewer repairs over the long haul.

Still, I would miss the manual. There's also just a little something about a woman who can drive a MT, lol. (I married one.)

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 11-04-2010, 01:46 PM

This will be a lease car so I'm not so worried about being past warranty or repair bills.

Mostly interested in driveability, torque, hp - noticeable differences between the i & is and DCT & manual...the car still hasn't been scheduled for production yet so I can still make changes.

I won't say the cost isn't an issue, but being a lease, I'm really only paying 35% of the price difference anyway, so if it will be more fun and I'll get more enjoyment during the 3 years, it would be worth it.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:02 PM
A pair of I6s

Mein Auto: E93 335i, E90 330i
There are maybe 3 iS owners who'll post on BF between now and by the time you need to make a decision. Fortunately, you can't throw the proverbial stick on the net without reading 335i and 335iS reviews. Read up, go for a test drive(s), and pull the trigger. Can't really go wrong either way

2012 Mercedes-Benz E350
Prev: E90 330i, E93 335i, etc.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 335is Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustLust View Post

Thanks in advance.

~Jenn
Jenn,

I went through the same decision process last Summer. Here is what I learned.

DCT vs. manual

Yes, the DCT shifts faster - so what? Unless you are going to race the car it is academic. However, if you want the convenience of an automatic transmission for urban driving, the DCT does offer that advantage. However, if you enjoy the experience of being "one with the vehicle" the MT wins hands down. It is just more fun. Part of the appeal is the short shifter, which just seems so natural in your hand and in just the right position. Finally, there is the reliability issue. The DCT is a new transmission and we don't know how well it will hold up. If it breaks, Lord only knows what BMW will want to fix it (assuming it is fixable - it may be cheaper to just replace the entire unit at a cost of $10,000).

After test driving both, I went with the MT. It was not even close. But that reflects my taste (or inflexibility; I haven't owned an automatic transmission in 40 years.

Performance

The "is" definitely a barely tamed beast that wants to break loose of its bonds. But again, how important is that to you? The 333i is not exactly underpowered. However, the two cars feel distinctly different.

Exhaust Note

The "is" has a throatier exhaust note that is not shy. Not unpleasantly loud but definitely assertive. The car lets everyone know it is not an introvert. In contrast, the 335i is relatively quiet. In comparison to the 'is" I found it disappointlng - just too sedate. My first reaction to the "is" exhaust note was concern that it would get on my nerves on a long drive. But I drove my "is" from Munich through the Alps to Verona and was not even aware of the exhaust note, probably because the windows were up. The cabin was very quiet even at 100 mph. And I didn't have the radio on as I wanted to concentrate on the speed limits so I wouldn't get "flashed" by a photo camera (so far no tickkee in the mail but Italy can take up to a year to mail it out).

Additional Cooling

The "is" has a larger oil cooler and auxiliary radiator to compensate for the N54 overheating problem. If you don't drive the car hard that shouldn't make much of a difference. I would expect that it will extend the life of the engine however but I you're leasing that won't benefit you.

Bling

The "is" comes with some distinctive touches, like the black mirrors and exhaust tips. It also has M-style aluminum pedals. Not a big deal.

Color Choice

Finally, the 335i offers a wider choice of exterior colors than the "is" does but if you're happy with Space Grey, that's nonissue.

The bottom line is that the 335is is a different driving experience that the 335i. It feels and sounds more aggressive. It that worth the $4000 premium over a M-Sport 335i? Only you can decide that. Drive both cars side-by-side. At the end of that comparison you'll most likely you will know which one you want.

I went with the 335is and don't regret it - at least not yet.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:25 PM

I have a 335is with the DCT and a Corvette ZO6 with a manual 6 speed. All of my sports cars in the past were manuals.

The DCT is starting to grow on me, but it took some time. Also, and I guess BMW set it up this way, but my DCT started performing much better after the 1,200 mile break-in period. Before, it was taking too long, IMO, to downshift into 3rd and particularly into second gear. Now, it's very fast and decisive.

I have not driven a manual BMW since I had my last one in 1983, so I don't know how good their manual transmissions and shifters are? But, I would probably go with a manual transmission over the DCT if I were to do it all over again. I bought this car primarily to take spirited drives on the back countryside and mountain roads, and I personally would have a better feel for the car with a manual transmission. I guess it's because driving a stick is second nature to me, and the DCT is not.

If I were primarily using the car to go back and forth to work in traffic, then I would go with the DCT.

The exhaust note on the 335is is really sweet, particularly with the convertible top down!

Current Stablemates:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget

Last edited by beden1; 11-04-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I have a 335is with the DCT and a Corvette ZO6 with a manual 6 speed. All of my sports cars in the past were manuals.

The DCT is starting to grow on me, but it took some time. Also, and I guess BMW set it up this way, but my DCT started performing much better after the 1,200 mile break-in period. Before, it was taking too long, IMO, to downshift into 3rd and particularly into second gear. Now, it's very fast and decisive.

I have not driven a manual BMW since I had my last one in 1983, so I don't know how good their manual transmissions and shifters are? But, I would probably go with a manual transmission over the DCT if I were to do it all over again. I bought this car primarily to take spirited drives on the back countryside and mountain roads, and I personally would have a better feel for the car with a manual transmission. I guess it's because driving a stick is second mature to me, and the DCT is not.

If I were primarily using the car to go back and forth to work in traffic, then I would go with the DCT.

The exhaust note on the 335is is really sweet, particularly with the convertible top down!
Geez, those M-style wheels are cool!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by energetik9 View Post
I realize this is a more complex system but isn't that an assumption on your part that you're passing onto the OP as fact?
SMG/SMG II is/was expensive to repair in the long run, over a clutch, so this is a pretty good assumption. DCT is complex, or it wouldn't be so expensive, it is yet an unknown but we do have history on the BMW automatic and auto-manuals to go on.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by energetik9 View Post
Perhaps, but I think we can all agree on the fact that if you come across transmission troubles out of warranty, the DCT will likely always be a more expensive system to repair than a standard MT. If treated well, I'd take full clutch replacement any day down the line over any kind of work on the DCT, which most likely will entail dropping the transmission and opening it up.

As TheKurgan said, the old SMGs were prone to failure and expensive to fix. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, I'd expect a more complex system to cost more to fix and maintain. We have no data on reliability for the DCT yet, but I'd be surprised if it was as reliable as a manual transmission.

I still think the longevity factor and potential repair bills are a valid argument for the MT over the DCT, fact or opinions aside. If the OP plans to keep the care for 100k miles or less, I wouldn't make it a priority to consider this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY

Last edited by cwinter; 11-04-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBinDC View Post
Geez, those M-style wheels are cool!
Thanks!

Current Stablemates:
Old 11-05-2010, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post

I have not driven a manual BMW since I had my last one in 1983, so I don't know how good their manual transmissions and shifters are? But, I would probably go with a manual transmission over the DCT if I were to do it all over again. I bought this car primarily to take spirited drives on the back countryside and mountain roads, and I personally would have a better feel for the car with a manual transmission. I guess it's because driving a stick is second nature to me, and the DCT is not.

I think you made an excellent choice!

Manual is fun, but with the introduction of the 7 spd DCT (and just think of transmission advacements 5 years from now), it doesn't really make sense.

Manual now is more for someone hyperactive or that james bond driver, who needs to have his left foot and right hand occupied at all times, while performing those evasive maneuvers.

In traffic, manual is like death......lol
Old 11-05-2010, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
I originally thought about getting the 335i, but once I heard about the 335is I quickly changed my mind! It was due to a number of reasons (more HP, M appointments, rarity vs other 3-series, etc), but I liked the DCT. It's a cool technology that has been on the M3 for a while so I wasn't concerned about there being reliability issues with it. The DCT is sooo lightning fast when shifting, if I blink, I miss it switch a gear! I do get people's comments about a manual (I also have a manual 2002 325Ci) and it's a matter of much you want to be part of the car (manual) vs letting technology take over the task. Both have pros and cons that really can only be answered by the individual. Go to the dealership and drive each car! Your inner "Bimmer" will tell you which type is right for you!

2011 335is DCT Le Mans Blue, Saddle Brown
AutoBahn Tested! 150 MPH
Old 11-05-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergym66 View Post
Go to the dealership and drive each car! Your inner "Bimmer" will tell you which type is right for you!
So True!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 11 E93is & 11 F25 N55
I have been without my 335is since I dropped her off at Harms on 9/24 (ED delivery), but the 'tuned' IS engine with DCT is a signifiant improvement over the stock N54. I 'proceed' my 2007 335i, but don't feel with the BMW tuned N54is that it is necessary to tune after market. The car handled the Autobahn and the 'Ring' great.

It was an adjustment coming from a 04 328 SMG and 07 335i with the bi-horizontal shift paddles, the the uni-lateral paddles of the current 11 DCT took only a day to learn.

Here is a pic of Black Sapphire with Coral Red:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010.09.20.BMW 335is BMW Welt  067.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	253421   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010.09.20.BMW 335is BMW Welt  073.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	253422   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010.09.20.BMW 335is BMW Welt  044.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	253423  

2011 X3 xDrive 35i (6/2011 PCD) Carbon Black Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Brushed Aluminum trim, ZCV, ZCW, ZDH, ZMP, ZPP, ZTP, 5AC, 610, 655, 677, 6NR

2011 335is Cabrio ED (9/2010)/PCD (12/2010) Black Sapphire Metallic, Coral Red/Black Dakota Leather, ZCV, ZCW, ZPP, 2TC, 5AC, 609, 655, 688, 6FL

2007 X3is PCD (1/2007)-Retired

2007 335i Cabrio PCD (6/2007)-Retired

2004 328i Cabrio PCD (3/2004)-Retired

BMWCCA Lifetime Member