Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
I respectfully disagree markl53. My service department is open for creative ways of narrowing down the fault source. Sorry that you have other experiences. I would change dealer if that happened to me.
Even if my tech did observe the symptom he would still not know the cause. Also they trust me when I say there is an issue and have already asked me to to help with trying to isolate it by making observations when it happens.

Last edited by solstice; 11-07-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 AM
2011 550xi M Sport

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 550xi
F10 550xi with grinding / vibrations noise

My 2011 550xi has the same problem at low speed as reported. I just picked the car up 8 days ago when I first started noticing the problem. I brought the car into Hendrick BMW for some accessories additions and reported the problem which no one had an answer too. They said make sure the lane departure was off and see how it goes.

Well the problem that seemed to be minor has seemed to increase especially as the weather turned cooler this week. Now many low speed left turns or starts up inclined roads get this grinding/vibration noise. My first thought that the software on the Xdrive was kicking in at the wrong time but the weather is clear and nothing to cause a slip has occurred since I have been driving the week are so.

I plan to bring the car to service sometime this week with a copy of the forum so the dealership doesnít act like they never heard of this, especially since I believe I have the one of the first F10 550xi from the dealership that has been sold.

I feel the issue is more prevalent on the left turns but I have seen it on a right and definitely on inclines or varied road surfaces at low speed.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Porsche C4S
I am picking up my 2011 550ix tomorrow and will post as to whether I have this problem.
E39 M5 (sold)
1996 Porsche C4 (sold)
Old 11-08-2010, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kocsis View Post
I am picking up my 2011 550ix tomorrow and will post as to whether I have this problem.
I think your car will be fine, post some pictures ASAP.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shot1gun View Post
My 2011 550xi has the same problem at low speed as reported. I just picked the car up 8 days ago when I first started noticing the problem. I brought the car into Hendrick BMW for some accessories additions and reported the problem which no one had an answer too. They said make sure the lane departure was off and see how it goes.

Well the problem that seemed to be minor has seemed to increase especially as the weather turned cooler this week. Now many low speed left turns or starts up inclined roads get this grinding/vibration noise. My first thought that the software on the Xdrive was kicking in at the wrong time but the weather is clear and nothing to cause a slip has occurred since I have been driving the week are so.

I plan to bring the car to service sometime this week with a copy of the forum so the dealership doesnít act like they never heard of this, especially since I believe I have the one of the first F10 550xi from the dealership that has been sold.

I feel the issue is more prevalent on the left turns but I have seen it on a right and definitely on inclines or varied road surfaces at low speed.
FYI, I do not have an X-drive. So that I don't believe has anything to do with it. Going through the car wash yesterday as I was turning it, it happened. And obviously, when this does occur, it is quite noticeable from the outside as the attendant said something to me about it.
1999 323i
Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 AM

I also don't have X-drive. shot1gun do you have the dynamic handling package?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:06 AM
2011 550xi M Sport

Yes I have a fully loaded car with all option, less the night vision and active cruise control.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:24 AM

Thanks shot1gun, dhp continues to the be the common factor. Every single F10 reported here with this issue has dhp. Otherwise it's a mix of 535s, 550s, X-drives and non X-drives.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:47 PM

I talked to my service rep. today about disabling ars. He checked with the service foreman who looked into it and later came back with the info that unfortunately there is no easy way to disable ars. Now the plan is for the foreman to drive my car until he observes the issue ( including taking it home with him which I'm not to happy with but I can't stand the grinding it makes the car feel broken which ruins the driving ) and I will get a loaner - again. I'll keep you updated with any progress, please do the same.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Problem (potentially) identified and solution

Gave the Tech Foreman my car on Saturday. He said he'd take it home and drive it around since we were unsuccessful to reproduce the sound when we did a test drive. Got the phone call and few hours ago with the problem potentially identified and their attempt at the solution. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Details to follow.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerkahuna View Post
Gave the Tech Foreman my car on Saturday. He said he'd take it home and drive it around since we were unsuccessful to reproduce the sound when we did a test drive. Got the phone call and few hours ago with the problem potentially identified and their attempt at the solution. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Details to follow.
biggerkahuna-

This is the best news I have heard in days. My fingers are crossed that your techs are truly able pinpoint and further, resolve or determine a fix. I look forward to your next update.

Thanks to everyone else for their participation in this thread and keeping it front and center.
1999 323i
Old 11-08-2010, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550 ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Bring it in for service. It's now pretty easy to reproduce on my car. Anytime it has been unused for an hour or more it makes the grinding thing in more than 50% of the first couple of 90 degree + turns from stand still. Pulling out of a parking lot or turning in an intersection from a stop light it is easy to reproduce the grinding. To hear the "farting" noise it's just to open the window and drive around in a parking garage. It's absolutely not the sound from tires rubbing against the road surface, this is from another source and the grinding sensation is significant. The grinding is also there independent of road surface codition: wet or dry does not matter. Bring your car in and let a tech drive it, I will on Tuesday since there's definately something wrong. My car did not have this issue prior to the new ars pump was installed.
I have just purchased a 2011 550 ix last month and have been experiencing the EXACT issue that you have posted. Brought it in a couple times already and no one can pin point the problem. I had caught a BMW engineer @ the dealership today. Took him out for a drive to hear the grinding noise and.......surprising enough...i wasn't able to duplicate the noise. However, when i brought the car back from to my office, i let it it for a couple hrs. Sure enough, when i got in it and drove home, the grinding was back. Seems like it occurs during the first phase of driving. I'm so pissed b/c i love this car but cant stand to hear the grinding every time i turn. I am waiting for the dealerships response. I will keep you posted and hope you can do the same. Good luck!!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerkahuna View Post
I think we might have the same dealer and foreman since he mentioned that he had another F10 customer with the same symptoms. I really hope they found the root cause in your car.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:32 AM
2011 550xi M Sport

The problem was almost not even apparent all day yesterday in the afternoon until this morning where as soon as I went up an incline I felt the grinding. The problem persisted while in the parking lot doing some low speed turns and then stopped as unexplainable as it started. I finished driving to work for the next 20 minutes without incident.

Iím thankful for this forum since I know the BMW techs will say I drove it and couldnít replicate the problem.
2006 Jeep Rubicon - Toy
2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Performace Modified - The Beast
----------------- RETIRED ----------------------
2009 BMW M5 Supersprint Exhaust - Sold
2004 Range Rover - Sold
2001 BMW Z8 - Sold
2000 BMW 540 - Sold
1995 Porsche Carrera - Sold
Old 11-09-2010, 03:38 PM

I can't drop my car off at the delaer until Nov. 15 due to lack of loaner cars. Hopefully someone else like the biggerkahuna and/or Joe F. will have more updates before that.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Problem identified (fairly certain)

So here's the story.... The tech foreman was able to regenerate the sound. He believes it is related to the ARS(Active Roll Stabilization). To be specific, the problem lies in the active swaybar valve unit also known as the hydraulic sway bar valve block. He's not sure what the precise problem is but that it could be related to debris getting caught in the unit due to fabrication out of tolerance or a couple of other things that I didn't get a chance to write down. In the end, the result being a grinding noise emanating from the unit with no regular occurrence.

So the good thing is that they should be able to get a replacement valve unit by tomorrow. The plan is to install it and test it over the next couple of days to make sure the problems has gone away. If things work out, I should have my car back by the end of this week.

I have to give props to my SA and the Tech Foreman that have been working with me to get this figured out. They've been top notch when working on my M5 and now with my 550i. Let me know if you're in the Pacific Northwest and I'll send you their names.

Hopefully this helps you guys out. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:08 PM

Thanks biggerkahuna, is your foremans initials MV? I suspect we use the same dealer and the fact that my car did not have this issue prior to my ars valve block and pump was replaced should be helpful to their analyses. It sure will help my case that there is another car with the same issue at my dealer so thanks for posting!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:17 PM

Also it seems like the potential cause is very close to what I suspected.

11-02 I wrote this:
"I wonder if it could be the ars valve block since I think the X-drive and rwd cars have different pumps. I would assume that the X-drive cars share pump between steering and ars while the rwd car has a separate ars pump so the pump would not be a common factor. Perhaps it's a synchronization problem where valves are not closing properly at certain circumstances making the highly pressurized oil resonate through the system."
Old 11-09-2010, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Add me to the list. Today for the first time I heard it. I just left the car wash and made a slow right turn up a slight incline and I felt something like a tire rubbing coming from the floorboards as well as a grinding sound. It did it once and hasn't happened since. Let's hope the valve is the problem....

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550 xi
Angry Mine Too!

My 2 week old 550 xi has the same grinding sound upon low speed turning. It's in the shop now to replace a defective airbag sensor and to evaluate the grind. Scratching their heads right now. Going to recommend this post to them.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:21 PM

Just curious as to how fast BMW works...

On a situation like this, that is obviously growing in numbers, there have got to be people describing this issue to service advisers all over the country. Many of which, will all start the same process or simply say they cant duplicate it. How long does it take for BMW to put out a service bulletin? And, will they do it in two phases or one, one being when they know they have a widely reported problem with no solution or two, not until they also have a solution?
1999 323i
Old 11-09-2010, 08:40 PM

If this turns out to be ars me thinks there will be some nervous ZF representatives called up to Bmw HQ soon. This will be costly in terms of labour, parts and customer dis-satisfaction. Seeing the stream of readers adding to the list of recently delivered cars having this issue there seems to be a big risk that if new components are installed they will be faulty as well. Not a good situation.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i sport
Still in the shop now for about a week or more since I got the car.I officially had the car for one day before it went straight back to the dealer because of the noise. This has been a real bummer but apparently my dealership is working on it with BMW. I hope that everyone is taking their cars in for this issue so that BMW realizes this is a big problem.....Thanks everyone and I will keep everyone updated if my dealership comes up with a fix.....
Old 11-10-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
Still in the shop now for about a week or more since I got the car.I officially had the car for one day before it went straight back to the dealer because of the noise. This has been a real bummer but apparently my dealership is working on it with BMW. I hope that everyone is taking their cars in for this issue so that BMW realizes this is a big problem.....Thanks everyone and I will keep everyone updated if my dealership comes up with a fix.....
It could be worse. I got my car in July and have had about a week of problem free ownership since then. First a broken ars pump and then immediately a faulty ??? I now also have a very annoying rattle somewhere behind the center stack. I'm getting a bit fatigued with this car.

Thanks for the status update Joe F. I agree that everyone who observed this issue should contact their dealer to inform them about the problem. The bigger/widespread issue the more help the individual dealers will get from bmw corporate and Germany to solve it.

Last edited by solstice; 11-11-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 550 xi w/ M Sports
i'm the two week owner of a 550xi with m sports that is pretty much fully optioned except driver's assistance and night vision and am very disappointed to report having the same problem. i get a grinding vibration of sorts that i notice more when starting the car from a cold start, at low speeds and when turning the steering wheel, as reported by most others. i was beginning to question my sanity as the noise comes and goes, but am glad to know i'm not the only one with it. i haven't taken my car into the dealer yet, figured the car was too new for them to know what's going on and was hoping maybe it would just take a little time for the car to settle. i plan on contacting BMW of NA to inform them of the problem in the meantime. will definitely keep following this post so please report any solutions!