Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
When I am on a several week vacation, as I did a couple of times this Summer, one of the functions of the GPS is to find motels and restaurants at the end of the day. While I appreciate your Google suggestion, just taking-out my Garmin GPS is faster and more convenient than getting a computer connection to google and sending POI to the vehicle. On my vacations, I do not set each night's destination in advance, but alter them based on weather, road conditions, and if I want to stop and walk a trail or spend more time at someplace interesting.

The easiest answer for me is to just use the Garmin.

Google probably works fine for day trips from and back to home, and people who use the BMW nav for that probably have no complaints.
Actually some people (like me) plan their road trips in advance using Google maps and trip advisor. Problem with winging it is you can end up in a crappy hotel after dinner at a crappy restaurant. Also, if I am on vacation for more than a few days, I am probably flying somewhere. I still use google maps but have to re-enter stuff into the Garmin.

If I wanted to do the spontaneous thing, I would probably sign up for the BMW Assist concierge service and hit the button when I was ready to stop for the night.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
If I wanted to do the spontaneous thing, I would probably sign up for the BMW Assist concierge service and hit the button when I was ready to stop for the night.
Different strokes for different folks I guess... having everything planned out in advance doesn't sound like much fun to me... I sorta though one of the main purposes of a GPS was to step in when things don't go as planned. My preference for not planning a three week road time in advance, with destinations set for 21 days in a row, probably comes from my motorcycle vacations, where you really can't plan much more than a day in advance and have to go with what the weather gives you, e.g., last May I took a long trip to camp in Idaho, planning on going to the Northern part, but when it began snowing, I decided Southern Idaho probably was a better bet.

As for concierge service, I think just using a gps with a good database, such as my Garmin, is a better solution for me -- it's worked very well for quite few years. I am sure others might like the concierge alternative.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks I guess... having everything planned out in advance doesn't sound like much fun to me... I sorta though one of the main purposes of a GPS was to step in when things don't go as planned. My preference for not planning a three week road time in advance, with destinations set for 21 days in a row, probably comes from my motorcycle vacations, where you really can't plan much more than a day in advance and have to go with what the weather gives you, e.g., last May I took a long trip to camp in Idaho, planning on going to the Northern part, but when it began snowing, I decided Southern Idaho probably was a better bet.

As for concierge service, I think just using a gps with a good database, such as my Garmin, is a better solution for me -- it's worked very well for quite few years. I am sure others might like the concierge alternative.
The concierge definitely seems the easiest option but I have never signed up for it. As for planning, I don't get to take three week vacations very often and camping is pretty much out of the question, my wife would never agree. If I do have three weeks, I probably going somewhere at least 12 hours away by plane (and taking the Garmin). I use a GPS because if I didn't we would probably get lost and I really hate not knowing where I am.

The Garmin may have a decent database compared to the BMW system but compared to Google, its very poor.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
I don't get to take three week vacations very often and camping is pretty much out of the question, my wife would never agree. If I do have three weeks,
I'm retired, so I tend to not have a set date to return from my driving vacations.

I agree that the Google database is better than the Garmin; however, Google is usually not an option when camping and driving in the Western mountains.

However, if you want an example of BMW/Tele Atlas vs. Garmin/Navteq, there is a nice pie shop in Watertown, WI. Many years ago they moved to a new location. My 4 year-old Garmin database has the correct location, while the 2010 BMW database sent me to the old location. And it really seems a big oversight to include all the Wisconsin City Parks, but not have any of the State Parks in the database.

I really think that for $1,900 the database should be as good as a $200 Garmin. I just don't think that is an unreasonable expectation. BMW mad a big mistake switching from Navteq to Tele Atlas for their database and software. I don't know if it was a cost issue, or their typical Euro-centric desires, or perhaps Tele Atlas is better than Navteq for European data, but the new Nav would be great if they had continued with Navteq.

P.S. I would agree that the BMW Nav hardware is extremely good... the screen is the best I have seen and the signal sensitivity is superb. The Zoom knob is quite nice, even if it does work "backwards." But what good is an excellent information display if it does not have the information, or the information is wrong?

Last edited by Penguin; 11-09-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
I have had Nav's in my cars since my 2002 and I have never once thought of entering in multiple destinations. I guess I am just a simple person but I guess you would have to do some planning to layout multiple destinations. Wonder how complex it would be if you changed the order of and went from A -> C -> B -> D I guess more complexity would be better in your eyes.
It is quite simple on the Garmin. Say you want to go from Chicago to St. Louis. You simply enter the trip destination as you would on any GPS. Then you decide you want to stop in Springfield for a Corn Dog at the famous Kozy Dog. You simply search and find Kozy dog, and then press "add as way point."

That's it.

You now have a route that will take you to St. Louis, but direct you to Kozy Dog on the way there.

Or say you are traveling an active GPS route and decide you want to stop at a Shell gasoline station. You search for "shell" poking "along route." The GPS shows you any Shell stations it finds along your route. You select the one you want by poking it, and then press "Add as Waypoint."

The GPS now continues with your original route, but will direct you to the Shell station you chose along the way.

Waypoints are quite handy once you get use to them.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
No, and that is the problem. BMW used NavTeq in the prior generation of their Nav system, but with the introduction of the "new and improved" nav system in 2010, they switched to the European-based TeleAtlas.
Oh.....that would explain why their routing isn't as good. I've used GPS units that utilized TeleAtlas. They definitely weren't as good as those units that used Navteq maps. Those that use TeleAtlas still gets you where you need to go though. It's sometimes not the route you would take.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I'm retired, so I tend to not have a set date to return from my driving vacations.

I agree that the Google database is better than the Garmin; however, Google is usually not an option when camping and driving in the Western mountains.

However, if you want an example of BMW/Tele Atlas vs. Garmin/Navteq, there is a nice pie shop in Watertown, WI. Many years ago they moved to a new location. My 4 year-old Garmin database has the correct location, while the 2010 BMW database sent me to the old location. And it really seems a big oversight to include all the Wisconsin City Parks, but not have any of the State Parks in the database.

I really think that for $1,900 the database should be as good as a $200 Garmin. I just don't think that is an unreasonable expectation. BMW mad a big mistake switching from Navteq to Tele Atlas for their database and software. I don't know if it was a cost issue, or their typical Euro-centric desires, or perhaps Tele Atlas is better than Navteq for European data, but the new Nav would be great if they had continued with Navteq.

P.S. I would agree that the BMW Nav hardware is extremely good... the screen is the best I have seen and the signal sensitivity is superb. The Zoom knob is quite nice, even if it does work "backwards." But what good is an excellent information display if it does not have the information, or the information is wrong?
Actually, I don't think POS information has anything to do with the maps. I've used a cheaper Garmin and Magellan that used Navteq but didn't have a lot of POS locations. I've used a cheap Mio that used TeleAtlas that had 2 million POS locations.

I also have the Garmin Nuvi 350 and 755T for my other cars. They didn't have some of the POS locations that I found on the X5.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2g View Post
hey didn't have some of the POS locations that I found on the X5.
But come on, to not have any of the Wisconsin State parks, for example? There are some amazing and gaping holes in the BMW/Tele Atlas database. And while I would agree that "POS" is something I associate with the BMW Nav system, I think you might have meant "POI?" Perhaps a Freudian Slip?

Last edited by Penguin; 11-10-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:

I agree with you that the zoom is backwards, the BMW hardware is significantly better and the BMW POI data (and UI to access that data) sucks and always has. In your position though, I would sign up for the enhanced BMW Assist (even comes with google access) and take the Garmin with me for backup. Living on the very urban east coast, signal sensitivity and the large display are very important to me, much more so than the POI database.

As for why BMW switched, they didn't just switch map provider, the hardware is from a different vendor. maybe that is why.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
But come on, to not have any of the Wisconsin State parks, for example? There are some amazing and gaping holes in the BMW/Tele Atlas database. And while I would agree that "POS" is something I associate with the BMW Nav system, I think you might have meant "POI?" Perhaps a Freudian Slip?
LOL......it was a Freudian slip! Yes, I meant POI!

But, I get where you're coming from. My current X5 is my third car with a factory Nav. And, I've always found that Garmin units (which cost considerably less) are always better. But, I tend to get the factory Nav anyways because it's usually included in the Tech packages which often have features I want. So, I accept its deficiencies.

Note, as a precaution, I always have a spare Garmin in my X5 just in case. I went on a road trip one time (with my other SUV without a factory Nav) and only took one Garmin GPS with me. I have two Garmin units at home. On the trip, the Garmin (the 755t) failed and just totally died on me. So, I was without Nav for the rest of the trip. I kept thinking why I didn't just bring both Garmin units with me because they're so small anyways.

So, from now on, I always bring backup.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
I figure if the nav does not fit the bill 100% then Mr. Google and iPhone fits the bill without the garmin plastered on the windshield and wires across the dash
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500