Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-13-2010, 02:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
Only for Manual Transmission cars......with the cruise set, you can shift gears without losing the setting. Pressing in the clutch on most cars will cancel the cruise, the BMW doesn't. If you just push the clutch in and hold it, it will cancel the setting in about 10 seconds or so, and let you know with a "DONG".

Keith
What?! These cars are available with a manual?

I'm kidding.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey B-mer View Post
Wow dude! Take it down a 1k! We shouldn't hate on folks here. Ant has said some very relevant things also that i've read. We were all young once, & sometimes twice. I don't agree with everything he says, but same goes for me. I don't expect everyone here to be enamored with my posts. We can't make things so personal on here. I like reading all the posts here, whether or not it applies to me & my car. I've posted some nonsense on here, but as I learned about my car, and the etiquitte on here, its getting better. Let's try to educate, rather than hate.....
I agree 100%. The public display of hatred and lack of common courtesy toward other members by some individuals on this website is the worst I have ever seen on any forum. I am surprised the moderators have allowed it to go on. IMO, the best way to deal with these "haters" is to put them on ignore.

Last edited by bmrboy2008; 11-13-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
How quickly brake dust builds up on the wheels. 300 miles, and the wheels are nearly black. And, they are a real PIA to clean.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:42 AM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faizd View Post
hi all,

sorry if this is a re-post........

just found out that if you push and hold the button marked "check" on the signaling lever, you will get a message on the front cluster saying "check ok!" and another one below the i-drive screen saying "no faults!" ....

this is cool if u want to check fault messages without going through all the i-drive options to get there...

great posts everyone, cheers
This is a great tip!

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 11-13-2010, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
dude honestly, please shut the **** up now.. i'm really sick of you.. you've stated before that your a humble guy, now all you do is go around and talk about making people think you have a 2010 by changing some parts in random posts that are irrelevant. we get it and nobody cares.. most of us here are driving BMWs because we enjoy them and how they drive; and not because of how people perceive us.

in the beginning you were cute, then annoying. now your just a ****ing douche
I got a BMW because of that! The awesome feel of the car and its drivablility are a bonus

Old 11-13-2010, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5-series
The M button on the seat lights up the entire button when pressed.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:28 PM

You cannot perform the activation / initialization of satellite radio while Bluetooth is active.

The Sirius satellite radio on my new to me 2008 550i was not active when I purchased the car. On Saturday I logged on to the Sirius web page and activated service, and then had them send the activation signal. I did this twice, no luck either time. So, today I called Sirius from the car, and the rep asked me if I was calling on my Bluetooth. I said yes, and he said that the activation signal would not be received if the Bluetooth was active. So, I hung up, turned of my phone, and voila, five minutes later, my satellite radio was working like a charm.

BTW, I was a bit surprised (and delighted) when one of the options on the Sirius web page was a free year of service. I'm not sure if this is because the previous owner never used it or not, but this was a nice surprise!

Keith
Old 11-15-2010, 04:48 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Quote:
You cannot perform the activation / initialization of satellite radio while Bluetooth is active.

The Sirius satellite radio on my new to me 2008 550i was not active when I purchased the car. On Saturday I logged on to the Sirius web page and activated service, and then had them send the activation signal. I did this twice, no luck either time. So, today I called Sirius from the car, and the rep asked me if I was calling on my Bluetooth. I said yes, and he said that the activation signal would not be received if the Bluetooth was active. So, I hung up, turned of my phone, and voila, five minutes later, my satellite radio was working like a charm.

BTW, I was a bit surprised (and delighted) when one of the options on the Sirius web page was a free year of service. I'm not sure if this is because the previous owner never used it or not, but this was a nice surprise!

Keith
You can also get the best of XM for a small upgrade fee for the balance of your free year.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 11-23-2010, 07:03 AM

I know that when you stop on a steep uphill and put the clutch in, the car won't roll backwards, but I found out yesterday that it only holds for about two or three seconds, then the brakes release and you roll backward. Is this a feature or is something not working right? A bunch of years ago I had a Subaru, and they had a feature called Hill Holder that did the same thing, but it would hold as long as you kept the clutch in.

Keith
Old 11-23-2010, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
I know that when you stop on a steep uphill and put the clutch in, the car won't roll backwards, but I found out yesterday that it only holds for about two or three seconds, then the brakes release and you roll backward. Is this a feature or is something not working right? A bunch of years ago I had a Subaru, and they had a feature called Hill Holder that did the same thing, but it would hold as long as you kept the clutch in.

Keith
Holding it just 2 seconds is how it is designed. Not sure why. I remember the Subaru feature as well. Owned one in the late 70s, early 80s.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather
Old 11-23-2010, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:

Keith
It is a hold feature for hills but only holds as you found out for 2-3 seconds. It also works if you are pointed downhill and want to back up.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 11-23-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfitter View Post
It is a hold feature for hills but only holds as you found out for 2-3 seconds. It also works if you are pointed downhill and want to back up.

dj
I did NOT know that one (works downhill as well as uphill). The Subaru Hill Holder only worked going uphill. Glad to know the 2-3 second hold is normal, I thought it probably was but wanted to make sure.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:52 AM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Quote:

Keith
What's a clutch?
Sorry couldn't resist. I have driven autos for so long. Completely making a joke here.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 11-23-2010, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 535ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ronnie View Post
You can also get the best of XM for a small upgrade fee for the balance of your free year.
What a coincidence but the exact same thing just happened to me. I've had mine since June and never bothered to check until yesterday - and Sirius told me I had 12 free months so I activated it this morning.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 - 525 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ok2Drive View Post
How to unlock all the doors in the car when inside it. Yes I'm serious.
ha ha ha ... I had the same problem ... look at the very center of your dashboard. you will find a switch for the safety lights (the red triangle) and another one to lock/unlock all the doors simultaneously.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i sport
I can tune into HD2 and HD3 HD-radio stations where offered (I didn't even realize they were out there until after driving my car for a month), but only when the radio tuner is in manual mode, and by using the steering wheel tune up/down button. I can't tune them using the Idrive controller, or when in preset mode, and I can't set an HD2+ station as a preset. Seems like they should have designed more ways to tune in the HD2+ stations.

2008 550i Sport/Carbon Blk/Blk
Old 11-26-2010, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i, 1997 Dodge Ram
I learned that I have no light under the hood
Old 11-27-2010, 05:05 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
I discovered that if I hold the iDrive knob toward Nav it goes straight to the map thus avoiding all the menu clicks. Don't laugh - I've only had the car for five days.
Start learning the voice commands.

I use 'Map ---- Direction of Travel' to get back to the map from anyplace.

Also, 'CD On' to turn the CD on, 'Track 1 (or whatever) to get to the appropriate track'

"102.7 FM" tunes the radio to that station.....

You need to speak a bit clearly, and learn the language. Easiest way to learn is to hit the voice command button (remember to always wait for the beep first) and then say 'options' The guy will then give you the list of commands that work from the current screen location.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
You really do have an under hood light LOL.
It's in your I drive to check the oil level. There is nothing to see under the hood - day or night!!

AND..... I forgot - they gave you a flashlight in the glove compartment.

Last edited by njlou; 11-27-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post

Also, 'CD On' to turn the CD on, 'Track 1 (or whatever) to get to the appropriate track'

You need to speak a bit clearly, and learn the language. Easiest way to learn is to hit the voice command button (remember to always wait for the beep first) and then say 'options' The guy will then give you the list of commands that work from the current screen location.
If you say: "sattelite channel" then the channel you want it will go there - but it only goes up to channel 100
Old 11-27-2010, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i, 1997 Dodge Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post

I printed up the three, no four, pages of voice commands in the Owner's Manual and keep it in the door pocket. I read it at red lights. Didn't know about the "Options" option though - thank you for that tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlou View Post
You really do have an under hood light LOL.
It's in your I drive to check the oil level. There is nothing to see under the hood - day or night!!

AND..... I forgot - they gave you a flashlight in the glove compartment.
But...but, if I have to suddenly add windshield washer fluid at midnight in the middle of nowhere...
My 14 year-old pickup truck has a light under the hood. No flashlight holding necessary. Hmm.

Last edited by gcvt; 11-27-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528XI
Just discovered 2 things this past Thanksgiving's 4 day weekend.

1) My low washer fluid light came on. I didn't know I could pour an entire gallon of washer fluid into the resovoir, and it still could have taken more!
2) When I turned on the cruise control for the first time, I didn't know a green light spins around the speedometer cluster to the set speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 528XI.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	256395  
Old 12-28-2010, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Deep Sea Blue 535xiT
I just took my "new" 08 535 for its first highway excursion. How cool is that cruise control!?! I love that. It's going to take some getting used to it being on a stalk instead of the steering wheel, like my X3 was. But I'll catch on eventually. Man...what a ride on the freeway. Not only the nicest car I've ever owned, probably one of the nicest I've ever ridden in!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Deep Sea Blue 535xiT
Quote:

Keith
I just activated my 2008 535xiT for the "free year" of Sirius. I couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted that on their website.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:22 PM
More cents than sense

Mein Auto: 2007 530,1997 Z3
Once you go satellite, you never go back. I have 2 lifetime subscriptions-one on a removable radio and one in my B-
I discovered that the voice command feature to dial the phone doesn't like it when the sunroof is open.
I haven't used the cruise control yet in the 4 years I've owned the car because I didn't know how it would act when the car's out of gear-I coast before I brake, silly me..
BTW, I didn't catch the flame war, but you should check out the skiing and snowboarding forums if you like to see internet "blood"..