Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-18-2010, 01:44 AM

Mein Auto: 330d
[QUOTE=AlboBMW;5633206] I'm having the same opinion ...and i think the OEM shocks last longer.

Now...regarding my new setup...I have a friend who has an Seat Cupra and it has Koni FSD with H&R sport springs setup, what can i say....AWESOME I love this setup!
Eibach springs doesn't have front drop as H&R... i want to reduce fender well gap on front. My only concern is the drop but FSD doesn't recommend lowering springs...so...what to do?
Old 11-18-2010, 02:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp_w View Post
but FSD doesn't recommend lowering springs...so...what to do?
Who is FSD? If you mean Koni, where are you getting your information?

What to do? Start by giving Koni more credit than what you read on an open forum:

Look at the screen capture from http://www.koni-na.com/fsd.cfm below.

Notice how the third point from the top marked with ">" describes lowering with Eibach springs?

If you lower your car by more than 1.5" you will tend to bottom the suspension on larger bumps due to a lack of travel - this will be harsh unless you use springs and shocks that are stiff enough to prevent bottoming: these will be harsh even on small bumps. Then there is scraping the nose and floor of your lowered car why lower a car below one of the standard OEM heights? There are several height set for different models and markets.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FSD-Lowering.jpg
Views:	1954
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	255127  

Last edited by dynosor; 11-18-2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Misquoted sp_w in post #51
Old 11-18-2010, 04:39 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW
FSD\Eibach rides much better thn stock, I replaced nearly new OEM shocks and the difference is night and day. OEM is made to a price junk, the replacements are not but it sure wasn't cheap.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 330d
It's about Koni FSD. My only concern regarding these shocks is the warranty...i don't want to lose warranty if i install lowering springs(H&R)
Old 11-18-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp_w View Post
It's about Koni FSD. My only concern regarding these shocks is the warranty...i don't want to lose warranty if i install lowering springs(H&R)
Contact Koni directly and discuss their warranty policy. Unless your installation allows the shocks to bottom out internally instead of using the external bump stops, or overly short springs to fall off their seats in rebound, spring selection cannot hurt the shocks - any springs stiff enough to damage your shocks will break your back first. If you drive up a curb at speed or otherwise wreck your car and mangle the shocks, that is not covered under warranty anyway.

Koni Europe Contact Info: http://www.koni.com/3+M57d0acf4f16.html

Last edited by dynosor; 11-18-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW
FSD work with anything up to 25mm lower than stock. Anything more and to much shock travel has gone to work correctly. It's all in the Koni literature.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325i
dynosor, regarding post 52 http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=52
I don't know why you would misquote me. I never said what you quoted me.

Do you people expect Koni to say anything bad about itself? WTH!!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlboBMW View Post
dynosor, regarding post 52 http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=52
I don't know why you would misquote me. I never said what you quoted me.

Sorry Albo, my misquote was not deliberate: I was responding to sp_w and edited the text poorly - he quoted you and I deleted his name in error. This left your name in the quote...

I have fixed my eroneous post, but meant what I said to sp_w
Old 11-26-2011, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 328i
Koni FSD's absolutely worth it!!!!

Avalys couldn't have been more accurate on his assessment. I live in Toronto and have some horrible roads here as well. I just changed out my stock shocks to Koni FSD's and they are amazing. I was driving on roads that I thought had been repaired because I couldn't feel the same horrible pot holes. Also, my handling has improved drastically. The only thing I might have done had I been living in a warmer climate with no snow is dropped the vehicle an 1"-1 1/4" for a lower center of gravity. Anyways, I'm so happy that I can't even explain how it feels to drive in my 328i now.

I owe it to this thread otherwise I was gonna end up getting stock shocks again. Even my mechanic said that my car rode better than some of the newer cars he's driven. Worth every penny!

Mod Bargains also has the best prices (Trust me I don't work for them, I live in Toronto so I can't even if I wanted to lol).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	302610  
Old 11-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Nothing specific

Mein Auto: 03 325Ci 5spd SP
Since this thread is back on the front page, I'll provide an update.

The car now has 150,000 miles on it, so I've put about 100,000 on the FSDs over almost 6 years. They still work great and there are no obvious indications that they are wearing out. Even if they do, Koni provides a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Posted my review probably five years or so ago, but probably not on this board. So apologies if you've seen it before, but for anyone who hasn't seen it before and values another opinion:

FSD thoughts and Axxis MM bonus panic test

My disclaimer is that these are all my own perceptions and might not be what you feel if you did this evaluation. I did pay close attention under various situations as you will see, but have logged only about three and a half hours of drive time so far. If things seem different down the road, I'll surely do a long term recap and report here.

I'm writing this to try to portray precisely what the FSD shock installation on my e46 feels like under various conditions. Not to just say "better ride/better handling", but to explain in detail where you will feel the changes. I want to get you as close to knowing what you'd be getting if you made this switch to decide if this is the setup for you. It's too large a commitment of money plus labor to leave to pure experimentation.
I have the 330Ci with sport suspension with staggered tire setup and manual transmission. I left the oem springs on the car. I might have gone with stiffer springs if I could have found some with no decrease in ride height, but I didn't want a lowered car for the current horrible road maintenance I find all around the USA.

At first it's a little disconcerting to drive down the road with my new FSD's because the suspension feels as if it has an added mush factor. I normally associate this with bad/isolated handling, but that just isn't so in this instance. All the normal feedback that keeps you thinking the suspension is tight and ready for business has turned into a soft ride that removes the 'harsh' factor. And that's one of the primary large differences, no more 'harsh'. The car still feels solidly connected to the road, but the wince-producing slap of small potholes, road patches, and banging of highway separators is greatly reduced. You get just enough isolation to yield the quality of ride improvement claimed by all.
But the surprise is that when pushed thru a normal corner, the car handles better than before, but seemingly with less stress. I found myself going faster with a more sure feeling of stability. When I thought about the event immediately after, I realized there is a softness added to taking corners at a higher speed with a more relaxed sense of control. I have to attribute this to the Koni's keeping better contact of the tires with the road while somehow delivering a smoother ride.
Long sweeping curves such as a large clover leaf highway entrance (taken hard) also reveal more. I think I was able to take my favorite much faster, but felt that the hunting requiring constant steering correction was gone. (I might have guessed that bad control arm bushings has been replaced with new ones had I not known what I installed) This translates to going faster, with a more stable feeling, and requiring less skill from me. The car does a better job. I was more relaxed at a higher level of performance. In retrospect, every time I do something with this increased capability, I think about why it feels strange, and the answer is always that it feels smoother at the limit. And that's weird.

Perhaps of a more subtle nature, I believe even the straight line tracking was affected. I felt as I was driving on a straight country road, the car didn't require as much constant minor correction to stay in my lane.

It's going to take some getting used to regarding perceiving a softer riding car as capable. But when the car is going fast and working hard there are no second thoughts. It will be interesting to see what my long term reactions are, but so far I think I like it all. No regrets. Very impressed.

Axxis MM brake pads (from Turner Motorsports)
Recently the question of these pads and cold stops came up and so I decided when I was out testing my Koni's that my pads had been completely broken in, enough to not have to baby them any longer.
A few times at about sixty mph, I gave the brakes just short of full panic stop pressure. I had never used them that severely before, and was astounded what g force this car is capable of with the large rotors, large soft tire patch, and quality pads. The first stop was completely cold and solidly as safe as you would ever need. I'm used to considering my e46 as a thing of beauty, but this stopping power is brutal. Split personality!

Update as of 9/12: all opinions still hold!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
I think I was able to take my favorite much faster, but felt that the hunting requiring constant steering correction was gone.

I believe even the straight line tracking was affected. I felt as I was driving on a straight country road, the car didn't require as much constant minor correction to stay in my lane.
Thanks for the write-up.

Is it possible that some or all of the increased stability was due to an incidental or deliberate change to the front and possibly rear wheel toe angles? If no re-alignment was done, surely changing the struts would allow the toe to change slightly? If the toe and camber angles were set to a spec after Koni instal, were thes angles measured before removing the stock parts?

If others experience the same stability improvement with new FSDs over new OEM struts then the likelyhood of incidental alignment changes being a significant factor would seem diminished, but with one data point, it could be the new shocks, or it could be slight alignment changes or a combination of both...
Old 04-24-2013, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 05 330i SP
I replaced the stock shocks and struts on my 05 330i ZSP in spring 06 and they wore out last summer, so they lasted a bit less than 50,000 miles, not surprising given 6 years of New England roads. But they worked wonderfully, smoothing out rough and broken pavement without sacrificing handling in any way. I definitely recommend them.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 PM

You put on FSD's seven years ago? Going to get new ones on warranty?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 05 330i SP
I have to admit, I didn't even realize they had a lifetime warranty until I was researching last night (it just never occurred to me that a part with a relatively limited lifespan in my experience would have one ). Anyway, I had bought a new set last fall but they're still in the box unopened, so hopefully I can work out a reimbursement or credit with Koni. Crossing my fingers.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 PM

Koni's are premium shocks. Had them on my 1968 2002. They were amazing back then.

Let us know how you make out?
Old 04-26-2013, 04:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
I'm going to give these a shot on my 2003 330i with 58000 miles. Anyone know the best/cheapest place to find them currently? Thanks!
Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM

Also guys this is my first BMW, how do I know if it has sport suspension or not? It has Msport rims but doesn't say "sport" anywhere on the car?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelx5150 View Post
Also guys this is my first BMW, how do I know if it has sport suspension or not? It has Msport rims but doesn't say "sport" anywhere on the car?
Does it have wider wheel rims at the rear? Does it have front seats with side bolsters? If yes and yes, then it came with sport suspension - unless it was modified later.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I'm going to give these a shot on my 2003 330i with 58000 miles. Anyone know the best/cheapest place to find them currently? Thanks!
On sale for right now!

http://www.ajusa.com/KONI-2100-4005-...it-a1e5a4.html

Doesn't matter your suspenson for these.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforthfast View Post
on sale for right now!

http://www.ajusa.com/koni-2100-4005-...it-a1e5a4.html

doesn't matter your suspenson for these.
thanks!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
On sale for right now!

http://www.ajusa.com/KONI-2100-4005-...it-a1e5a4.html

Doesn't matter your suspenson for these.
So these guys said the koni fsd's are special order, not in stock and non refundable, wont ship til late june. Before I order I'd like to somehow confirm they will work.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 PM

Will Work??

I ordered mine from them a few years back. What do you want to know?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:27 PM

^Hey man, I went with summit, they were a bit more but shipped them today where AJUSA said they wouldn't ship for 1.5months.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
^Hey man, I went with summit, they were a bit more but shipped them today where AJUSA said they wouldn't ship for 1.5months.
Good you found a good place.
Let us know how the install goes, and come back and give us a road test report about how you like them!

Mod Bargains has the FSD's for only slightly more than ajusa. How much did you pay at summit?

Last edited by GoForthFast; 05-11-2013 at 09:33 PM.