Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Has anyone replaced their Orange corner bulb in the headlight?

Has anyone replaced their Orange corner bulb in the headlight?

I am looking for a LED replacement and prefer it to blink it white or similar hue. Has anyone replaced this and sucessfully, ant not got any error codes.

I personally can not stand orange. This is all DOT standards and making the car look like cheesy IMO.

I know there is a silver light bulb out there, it is OEM, but when that blinks it blinks orange/amber. At night when the headlights are on, i would like to avoit that orange/amber hue.

Every opinion is appreciated.

Thanks
John.
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2010, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: X5 xDrive 35d
Please excuse me if I've misunderstood, but are you looking to have your front turn signal blink white? If not, sorry for the mistake, but if so, please reconsider. There's a good reason why car lighting is standardized and front turn signals are supposed to blink amber. Every other driver on the road is conditioned to react to a blinking amber light as your intention to turn (one side) or caution (both sides). By introducing a blinking white light you are bringing another variable into the lighting mix that other drivers are not used to. This may create a hazard, especially for you, if another driver doesn't recognize your intent to turn. Driving the streets is tough enough. Why make it harder?
Old 11-18-2010, 01:19 PM

I'm going to have to agree with edpm3. Why don't you find one of those custom shops that code the lights so that they're off when you're not actively using the turn signal. I believe they call it euro front blinkers and an example can be seen here:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455434

Good luck.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
To the two posters above: re-read what OP said, "I know there is a silver light bulb out there, it is OEM, but when that blinks it blinks orange/amber."

Still not following?

A bulb that looks chrome/silver when off but blinks orange.

6938, 0428 here, I have seen a post by someone who did exactly that, you can do a search. What I gathered is its very difficult to do since the bulb is all the way out and there's all kinds of s*** in the way.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 11-19-2010, 10:37 PM

please take a look at the picture on your signature line of your posts. You have this headlight picture taken when the lights are on.

My problem is, the Orange amber light coming from the corner light when headlights are on. I dont have a problem when the turn signal comes on amber. it is only for a few secs.

But this constant orange is making me sick.

DOT rules and regulations.

I wish some one can give me some ideas to how to disable the corner light when headlight is on.

I found this so far looks interesting, may be worth a try but, would this cause a fire hazard no clue.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=296145
Old 11-20-2010, 12:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz6938 View Post

please take a look at the picture on your signature line of your posts. You have this headlight picture taken when the lights are on.

My problem is, the Orange amber light coming from the corner light when headlights are on. I dont have a problem when the turn signal comes on amber. it is only for a few secs.

But this constant orange is making me sick.

DOT rules and regulations.

I wish some one can give me some ideas to how to disable the corner light when headlight is on.

I found this so far looks interesting, may be worth a try but, would this cause a fire hazard no clue.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=296145
This will not work
The bulb is 4 pin friction grip and NOT twist type
Old 11-20-2010, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Best option is to have the light module coded with the Euro corner light setting - that will turn the bulb off at all times unless the signals or hazards are used - this is the nice clean error free way to do it.

It is a dual filament bulb, so the DIY you have could work sort of if you disconnect the wire that lights it as a parking light, but you will get a bulb error when there is not enough load on the circuit, so to fix that you would need to add a resister to the circuit - I have seen people do it on e90post, they extracted the wire in the harness on the headlight and added a resister load to the circuit thus disabling the orange light and countering the error.

Here is the mod on the E90 - on the E90 there is the bulb and a small orange LED - this DIY disables both http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=orange+delete personally I would rather pay $100 for coding than hack up my car, but this is what you have to do.

Rob