Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
HELP again! Windshield cracked 2011 X5 35D

It seems my 2011 x5 35d is jinxed.

Took the car to Orlando and back. Along the way had a stone hit the edge (bottom portion of the driver's side). Now I have a nasty crack 2 ft long close to the bottom edge.

How best do I go about replacing it - with the best possible glass (OE glass, I DO NOT want cheap aftermarket), best installation (dealer? any reputable windshield installers in Houston, TX), and the best price (do not want to be price gouged at the dealer).

Your advice is most appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5M
Your windshield replacement should be covered under your comprehensive coverage. Your out of pocket cost would be the deductible per your policy.

I have replaced four windshields over the last four years and I used my dealer with OEM parts. My dealer uses a preferred windshield company and a service loaner too.

Good luck!

2011 X35D, Alpine white, Tobacco brown, all options except 3rd row

2008 ///M5 Alpine White

2008 335 Convertible, Monaco Blue (gone 2011)

2007 Z-4 Roadster - Alpine White, Black top (gone 2011)

2006 530 Black black (gone in 2009)
Old 11-19-2010, 06:39 PM

I finally replaced the windshield. As the crack was not obstructing the view, I had postponed this awhile, but it just kept slowly growing (thermal stresses from the Houston heat/cool cycle, I guess).

I used OEM (or OE?) glass, stamped with BMW logo (Sekurit Saint Gobain), but a third party installer (not BMW dealer). The installer was recommended by my friend (also X5 owner), who had used them before. I have these questions (should have asked before the install, I know, but still for my education and perhaps for others too).

1. Does using the non-BMW dealer for install void the warranty (windshield, rain sensor, paint etc)?
2. The installer tested the rain sensor (I asked him to show that it is still working). He used a bottle spray on to show that it works (the intermittent came on). Is there any way I can test it? I am waiting for the curing period to be over. But as I understand it, spraying the windshield with a hose will only turn the intermittent on. I was wanting to see if the wiping intensity picked up automatically. Do I have to wait for the rain?
3. I did not see the installer change anything except the glass - he reused everything else. Should he have replaced the clips, the moldings etc?
4. I did not know of the existence of the "climate comfort windshield". Is this a factory option? My concern is I hope I didn't inadvertently replace one with a non-climate comfort windshield.

Many thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
In my experience dealers usually never do the glass themselves..they call a preferred glass vendor who drives over and does it at the dealership!

I've called the dealer/service adviser and just ask them "who do you guys use?".

Edit:

Our got a small crack when a month old...then a few weeks ago a 1 inch star directly in the drivers LOS...new glass time.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
In my experience dealers usually never do the glass themselves..they call a preferred glass vendor who drives over and does it at the dealership!

I've called the dealer/service adviser and just ask them "who do you guys use?".

Edit:

Our got a small crack when a month old...then a few weeks ago a 1 inch star directly in the drivers LOS...new glass time.
Ard,

But in the process dealers add their markup - or so I was told. So I bypassed them and went to someone my friend recommended. The question is does this void the warranty? I would like to think that Magnuson-Moss warranty Act prevents that from happening.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
I had mine replaced in FL. when the car was 10days old,i had a rock landed on the windshield. on 2011 models, when replacing windshield if you go with OEM, the rain sensor light sensor and humidity sensor changes, It is sold in conjunction with windshield.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz6938 View Post
I had mine replaced in FL. when the car was 10days old,i had a rock landed on the windshield. on 2011 models, when replacing windshield if you go with OEM, the rain sensor light sensor and humidity sensor changes, It is sold in conjunction with windshield.
Can you please clarify? I asked for the OE glass and that is what I got (it has the roundel), but the installers did not change the sensor. As I understand it, the windshield (when it is an installation that has rain sensor) has a purple plastic reflector and the mounting bracket for the rain sensor. But the rain sensor itself is a separate unit - and this why I do not understand when you say it changes. If I understand correctly, the rain and light sensor are part of the same unit. What is the humidity sensor?
Old 11-19-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrackl View Post
Can you please clarify? I asked for the OE glass and that is what I got (it has the roundel), but the installers did not change the sensor. As I understand it, the windshield (when it is an installation that has rain sensor) has a purple plastic reflector and the mounting bracket for the rain sensor. But the rain sensor itself is a separate unit - and this why I do not understand when you say it changes. If I understand correctly, the rain and light sensor are part of the same unit. What is the humidity sensor?
Until 2011 model year , they were transfering the rain sensor from the cracked windshield in to the new one.

if you ask your parts department (say you want the price for the windshield) they will tell you this, windshield is sold in conjunction with (rain sensor, light sensor and humidity sensor).

I do not know , what hummidiry sensor does. not sure what it is either.

Light sensor is what turns your headlights on off ( if you have auto headlight)

I beleive, Rain sensor is something like a jel looking thing.

In FL we dont pay for windshield to be replaced so i did not care about how much was it going to be. my bill was apart from windshield, had another 189 dolllars for the (rain sensor, light sensor and hummidity sensor).

That is all i know. I will post the part number once i find my receipt.

long story short , they supposed to replace the (rainsensor, light sensor and hummidity sensor) rather than transfering it from the old windshield.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:11 PM

found my receipt for the windshield replacement.

here are the parts that was installed.

unit Part number price
1 51317211909 555.60
1 51317157681 28.81
1 61359218702 187.19

and then urethane adhesive as usual to put the thing in place.

please search the part numbers. here is what i found.

http://www.online-teile.com/bmw/prod...lagsensor.html
it is in german but google translated in to Eng.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Ard,

But in the process dealers add their markup - or so I was told. So I bypassed them and went to someone my friend recommended. The question is does this void the warranty? I would like to think that Magnuson-Moss warranty Act prevents that from happening.
Generally all windshields are paid for by insurance. so markups typically don't enter into the equation.

No issues with having the work done by a non-dealer, even an OEM or aftermarket window would be fine...MM is pretty clear on that.... just keep in mind with MODS that moss magnussen sounds good in practice, but once BMW decides to deny a claim, your option is a lawsuit to fight.

(Arguable wind noise or water leaks will not be covered by BMW. And I suppose a dealer could jerk you around with other possibly related issues and cite "that windshield"... hence I usually insist that the BMW procedure be followed.)

FYI... with glass it is easy for people to demand "OEM" and actually get "OEM" wherein OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer in other words they get a non-BMW branded glass made by (say) PPG who makes the BMW OE glass.

So for windows say 'OE' or 'bmw', not OEM.

My concern with windshield replacement tends to be this:

BMW has specific materials and procedures for replacement- this is particularly true on the E39- as do other manufactures.... however many glass shops- safelite and a lot of the national chains in particular- just hack out the old, slap in glops of thick urethane, and stick on a window. They skip the factory process and replace it with a 'one size fits all' approach.

Can look fine, sometimes not, sometimes the position in the frame is off and noise is affected.

So I make sure that not only is the glass OE, but the installer is using OE materials and methods. In pressing Safelite on this, they were unable to tell me in writing that the safety certification for the car would be unaffected by the methods they used on my E39... my insurer gave up the fight and I got an OE glass and an Indy that did an 'OE method' installer.

As my X5 needs a glass I will need to get up to speed on this install...

A
Old 11-19-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz6938 View Post
found my receipt for the windshield replacement.

here are the parts that was installed.

unit Part number price
1 51317211909 555.60
1 51317157681 28.81
1 61359218702 187.19

and then urethane adhesive as usual to put the thing in place.

please search the part numbers. here is what i found.

http://www.online-teile.com/bmw/prod...lagsensor.html
it is in german but google translated in to Eng.
Once again thanks for the explanation. I typed in the part numbers at getbmwparts.com and the prices you mention are MSRP, and are for:

51317211909 Windshield glass (w/o head up display), w/o climate control
51317157681 Reveal, upper molding
61359218702 Rain sensor - W/head-up display

Now I am concerned: a) Is the procedure to replace the sensor when the windshield is replaced? b) Do I need the glass w/climate control ? - I did get the climate control package, perhaps that is what I needed, there is a separate glass/part # with that option. Can I post this in ask a dealer section to get an answer (for question "a")?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Once again thanks for the explanation. I typed in the part numbers at getbmwparts.com and the prices you mention are MSRP, and are for:

51317211909 Windshield glass (w/o head up display), w/o climate control
51317157681 Reveal, upper molding
61359218702 Rain sensor - W/head-up display

Now I am concerned: a) Is the procedure to replace the sensor when the windshield is replaced? b) Do I need the glass w/climate control ? - I did get the climate control package, perhaps that is what I needed, there is a separate glass/part # with that option. Can I post this in ask a dealer section to get an answer (for question "a")?

No problem,

"61359218702 Rain sensor - W/head-up display" my car does not have Head up Display.

what i would do is, give the last 7 digits of your vin to any dealer and ask for a price for a windshield. Let the guy talk and finally ask him the following question if he does not tell you,
If there any other parts necessary to purchase in conjunction with Windshield
Old 11-23-2010, 03:51 PM

Well, here's a summary of what I found.

Contacted a dealer as advised above, and was told that the condensation sensor needs to be replaced along with the windshield. The dealer did confirm that I got the correct windshield for my car (based on VIN).

I have not been able to corroborate this - my google searches returned the same for other people that have replaced their windshields, that when they did it at the dealer, the condensation sensor did get replaced. But elsewhere, it wasn't.

I could not corroborate whether it is BMW recommended practice to replace this sensor with the windshield. One of the techs that showed up with the installer did mention that he worked at the BMW dealership. He told me that it didnt need to be replaced. Not that I would trust that statement.

The rain/solar/condenser sensor are all the same/one unit.

After letting the car sit for 2 days for the resin to cure, I took it out. So far everything seems to be okay. The light sensor is working (light comes on automatically at dusk/closed garage). The rain sensor worked in intermittent (with car parked and water sprayed on windshield from a garden hose). I need some rain to check out the speed sensitivity (it should speed up in heavy rain automatically).

Any ideas how I can check the condensation sensor out? I need some humidity inside the car to create condensation. Maybe put a humidifier inside the car? I am concerned about inducing secondary problems with this test.

I didn't hear any wind leaks. But any suggestions on what I should be looking for would be appreciated.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Assuming you do not have the lane departure option, it was a shame that you didn't get the climate comfort windscreen since you live in the south.

There is more than one "correct" windshield and most parts guys don't know the difference.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...indscreen.html

Quote:
Well, here's a summary of what I found.

Contacted a dealer as advised above, and was told that the condensation sensor needs to be replaced along with the windshield. The dealer did confirm that I got the correct windshield for my car (based on VIN).

I have not been able to corroborate this - my google searches returned the same for other people that have replaced their windshields, that when they did it at the dealer, the condensation sensor did get replaced. But elsewhere, it wasn't.

I could not corroborate whether it is BMW recommended practice to replace this sensor with the windshield. One of the techs that showed up with the installer did mention that he worked at the BMW dealership. He told me that it didnt need to be replaced. Not that I would trust that statement.

The rain/solar/condenser sensor are all the same/one unit.

After letting the car sit for 2 days for the resin to cure, I took it out. So far everything seems to be okay. The light sensor is working (light comes on automatically at dusk/closed garage). The rain sensor worked in intermittent (with car parked and water sprayed on windshield from a garden hose). I need some rain to check out the speed sensitivity (it should speed up in heavy rain automatically).

Any ideas how I can check the condensation sensor out? I need some humidity inside the car to create condensation. Maybe put a humidifier inside the car? I am concerned about inducing secondary problems with this test.

I didn't hear any wind leaks. But any suggestions on what I should be looking for would be appreciated.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
Assuming you do not have the lane departure option, it was a shame that you didn't get the climate comfort windscreen since you live in the south.

There is more than one "correct" windshield and most parts guys don't know the difference.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...indscreen.html
Jim, that's a very good point. Had I known about that option beforehand, I would have opted for it. I am reading only good things from people who have installed it. My initial concern was that my original glass was that, and I mistakenly replaced it with a "lesser" piece. But the dealer told me, based on my VIN that I did not have that.

Would you know how once gets that windshield from factory? What option/package is that? It might help other folks to know about this option.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Ok here we go.

The factory option code is S358. It is by special order only for US cars.

For those of you who might be interested in the Climate Comfort Windscreen, these are all the part numbers I could find. The retail cost is about $300 more than the standard windshield.

After 10/08 production:

51 31 7 211 911 - WITH HUD and rain sensor
51 31 7 211 912 - WITHOUT HUD/WITH rain sensor

they are also available pre-10/08 but different part numbers.

Quote:
Jim, that's a very good point. Had I known about that option beforehand, I would have opted for it. I am reading only good things from people who have installed it. My initial concern was that my original glass was that, and I mistakenly replaced it with a "lesser" piece. But the dealer told me, based on my VIN that I did not have that.

Would you know how once gets that windshield from factory? What option/package is that? It might help other folks to know about this option.